LTE is finally here, now what? (LTE uses)

Robert - how often do a couple of tether's destroy the experience for other users? How many Sprint customers are receiving poor experiences directly because of tethering at any given time? IF we could have some hard facts like this then we could talk about it being an issue.

It is a fact that even one person using up a lot of bandwidth in one sector can severely degrade performance. The facts are cited all over this forum in many threads. I don't have time to refute to you things that are commonly known. I'm sorry you are under educated in RF and wireless technology. You are just plain wrong, and living in a fantasy world. You just want to be right.

Robert

lol am sorry to laugh at you but your arguments are becoming comical. You admit your argument has no validity by saying its nothing more than your opinion. THEN, you go own to add even more unproven or fact based data based on your OPINION. You try to use reverse logic as if it makes sense. I could say their are other infinitely small universes inside my bowl of cereal this morning they are just to small to see. No one has proved me wrong otherwise so I must be right. However, thru all of that I think one of the funniest thing about your post is the fact that you say tethering is done less and less. Maybe you should go back to page 3 and 2 when YOU yourself say that as the capabilities of phones increase people will want to tether MORE.

But here is another thing to think about. Sprint is obviously not in a position to charge as much as the big 2 which is why the have unlimited now as a market strategy. Do you think if they could really afford to allow phones to tether an unlimited amount without network performance issues, wouldn't they do so? This would be a major marketing point just behind unlimited data.

Am sorry to tell you this but tethering is a problem for Sprint otherwise like Robert said they wouldn't be addressing it and trying to stop it.

Here is a question for you. I have Sprint and receive great coverage throughout the entire city. I'm almost always able to browse the internet and stream radio whereever I am. If tethering was such the issue as you state and was crippling the entire network, then why am I able to use my phone almost everywhere I go just fine?

It is a fact that even one person using up a lot of bandwidth in one sector can severely degrade performance. The facts are cited all over this forum in many threads. I don't have time to refute to you things that are commonly known. I'm sorry you are under educated in RF and wireless technology. You are just plain wrong, and living in a fantasy world. You just want to be right.

Robert

Robert its over. When this guy just start denying facts there is no way we can win. To him tethering simply doesn't do anything to degrade network experience. Why it doesn't when all the facts(and common sense) say otherwise? Who knows? but apparently I have no idea what am talking about. I will say am not the one questioning the research a multi-billion dollar company with " internet posts".

Here is a question for you. I have Sprint and receive great coverage throughout the entire city. I'm almost always able to browse the internet and stream radio whereever I am. If tethering was such the issue as you state and was crippling the entire network, then why am I able to use my phone almost everywhere I go just fine?

*sigh*

So all of your findings are based on observational assumption. Nice. And yet you are willing to call everyone on the carpet? SMH

I need to get back to working on the update. I cannot believe I allow myself to get sucked into these things.

Robert

• Like 3

Robert its over. When this guy just start denying facts there is no way we can win. To him tethering simply doesn't do anything to degrade network experience. Why it doesn't when all the facts(and common sense) say otherwise? Who knows? but apparently I have no idea what am talking about. I will say am not the one questioning the research a multi-billion dollar company did with " internet posts".

I'm just saying people are not tethering as often as you think. Why keep attacking me rather than educating and providing links to all this research you keep talking about?

*sigh*

So all of your findings are based on observational assumption. Nice. And yet you are willing to call everyone on the carpet? SMH

I need to get back to working on the update. I cannot believe I allow myself to get sucked into these things.

Robert

I'm trying to understand by asking questions and instead I'm being attacked now by you. I guess I'm done with this community.

Edited by userwhat

I'm just saying people are not tethering as often as you think. Why keep attacking me rather than educating and providing links to all this research you keep talking about?

Please cite your points. How often do people tether...or not? Provide links and educate us!

Robert

• Like 1

I'm trying to understand by asking questions and instead I'm being attacked now by you. I guess I'm done with this community.

Attacked? You have not been attacked. You stated that you are basing your points on observational assumptions. I called you on it. That is not an attack. And I will not beg you to stay. Maybe you should go. You seem to want to argue without substantiation. That pretty much makes you a troll.

Robert

• Like 3

When did I say people would want to tether more? I've been saying the entire opposite this entire time. Also. just because something is my opinion does not make it more right or wrong than anything you've said. You state things as fact yet are able to provide no sources to back it up. You talk like you know what you are talking about but the truth is your statements are actually just an opinion just like mine.

No, I know exactly what am talking about. I don't need to cite a source to prove the moon isn't made of cheese. Its common sense in the RF world. Once again you call on me to show you proof when you continue to make up your own "proof". ATT, Verizon, and Sprint all have publicly complained about the abuse of their network by abusive users such as those who tether without authorization. This is common knowledge among the educated masses in wireless tech dealing with cell networks. You are simply ignorant of cell network infrastructure and the effects abusive tethering.

No, I know exactly what am talking about. I don't need to cite a source to prove the moon isn't made of cheese. Its common sense in the RF world. Once again you call on me to show you proof when you continue to make up your own "proof". ATT, Verizon, and Sprint all have publicly complained about the abuse of their network by abusive users such as those who tether without authorization. This is common knowledge among the educated masses in wireless tech dealing with cell networks. You are simply ignorant of cell network infrastructure and the effects abusive tethering.

Evo - You're not listening to anything I'm saying nor do you want to...or maybe I'm not making myself entirely clear. Either way, we can still be respectful of one another. For now I am done with this.

How could you possible know it not as much as I think. What indication did I give you that could possibly give you an idea of how much unauthorized tethering I believe is going on. I also didn't attack you by the way. If you say something that isn't true, I have the right to say otherwise.

I tried "educating" you. I told exactly why your misconceptions were wrong and gave an explanation of how and why it affects the network.

Edited by EvoMania

Discussion of unauthorized tethering is prohibited.

I can respect the honesty, but please refrain from discussion of illegal activities, immoral activities or violations of the T&C's.

I wasn't bragging as I was makin a point. As how lil data tethering actually use for a power user compared to how much cellular data I use lol. But I do respect the t&c lol

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I wasn't bragging as I was makin a point. As how lil data tethering actually use for a power user compared to how much cellular data I use lol. But I do respect the t&c lol

Your "point" violates the rules of this forum, so unless you want a formal reprimand, I suggest you stop discussion on the subject.

OK well u just added the feature so what's stopping me now....ANYWAY as I was sayin lol. I'm only go use it for about two days to tether my homies ps3 and take it off but I'm gonna report how much data tethering actually use in heavy use. Because honestly I blame HD Netflix way more than tethering for sprints old 3g service. Like many said the people to actually tether is low in number but in no way am I defending ANYONE. Just makin a observation lol no need for tickets unless they bulls tickets :D

Streaming Netflix, Hulu, and my Slingbox at least 10 hours a day while working. Spotify, Slacker and Pandora also run constantly on the iPhone. When I was on WiMAX I used a lot of data but this LTE (dam fast here in Chicago) I'm doubling usage to around 20-25 gigs a month. Unlimited data and I'm in heaven.

• Like 2

I still have an aircard through Sprint, and cannot use it half the time thanks to the 3G being way over crowded here in Phoenix, but it's sure nice to use when i'm in a WiMax area (i will buy a TriFi when they finally get LTE here in Phoenix)

I can say though as an S&R Tech here in Phoenix, i do see a lot of phones that i have to send back to the customer because it's rooted (95% of the time has some free tethering app installed) and i cannot work on it unless they get it back to stock.

I can say it's a chronic issue here in this market, and the 3G performance shows it. now, i cannot speak if tethering is the issue, but it cannot be helping either. I just hope the NV upgrades come soon as they cannot come fast enough.

You would be amazed to see how much capacity is actually at a cell site, and just the sheer volume of data hits it's getting throughout the day. Trust me when i say there's plenty of capacity, but in markets like Phoenix, it's just a matter of way too many subs in a given area at a given time, LTE should help as well as Nextel refarm, since it's separate bandwidth from what's currently being used, but only time will tell.

• Like 1

So I wonder if sprint will ever be the top dog? Above VZW and att.

Maybe with Clearwires spectrum? I'm sure someone who knows more than me will chime in. What concerns me most is that from what I have read, Att and Vzw are outspending Sprint on investments in their networks by much $ but that can always change and I have no idea what they are actually spending there money on compared to what Sprint is doing or why Sprint is spending less money.

Edited by userwhat

Streaming Netflix, Hulu, and my Slingbox at least 10 hours a day while working. Spotify, Slacker and Pandora also run constantly on the iPhone. When I was on WiMAX I used a lot of data but this LTE (dam fast here in Chicago) I'm doubling usage to around 20-25 gigs a month. Unlimited data and I'm in heaven.

Yeah I'm getting at least 20mb outside on the westside of Chicago and 10 inside the crib lol.

I still have an aircard through Sprint, and cannot use it half the time thanks to the 3G being way over crowded here in Phoenix, but it's sure nice to use when i'm in a WiMax area (i will buy a TriFi when they finally get LTE here in Phoenix)

I can say though as an S&R Tech here in Phoenix, i do see a lot of phones that i have to send back to the customer because it's rooted (95% of the time has some free tethering app installed) and i cannot work on it unless they get it back to stock.

I can say it's a chronic issue here in this market, and the 3G performance shows it. now, i cannot speak if tethering is the issue, but it cannot be helping either. I just hope the NV upgrades come soon as they cannot come fast enough.

You would be amazed to see how much capacity is actually at a cell site, and just the sheer volume of data hits it's getting throughout the day. Trust me when i say there's plenty of capacity, but in markets like Phoenix, it's just a matter of way too many subs in a given area at a given time, LTE should help as well as Nextel refarm, since it's separate bandwidth from what's currently being used, but only time will tell.

Lol all my phones was rooted and the two sprint techs I know phones are also lol.

Yeah I'm getting at least 20mb outside on the westside of Chicago and 10 inside the crib lol.

haha Inside the crib. I guess you mean either the loop or your house. Seriously though I wish NV was nearly complete in my market.

Streaming Netflix, Hulu, and my Slingbox at least 10 hours a day while working.

Sounds like you are getting a lot of work done...

Spotify, Slacker and Pandora also run constantly on the iPhone. When I was on WiMAX I used a lot of data but this LTE (dam fast here in Chicago) I'm doubling usage to around 20-25 gigs a month. Unlimited data and I'm in heaven.

Folks, this is the type of excessive usage that makes unlimited data untenable. So, I guess enjoy it while it lasts because some users relish sucking the teat dry. Unlimited data will go the way of the dodo, or slow speeds will be here again.

AJ

• Like 2

Lol all my phones was rooted and the two sprint techs I know phones are also lol.

Technically if it's a nexus it does not matter, since it's what that device is made for. I'm talking about the s3's and evo's that come in like that. if your having issues, especially what they bring them in for (95% of them are software related issues due to buggy roms), all i can do is hand it back to you and tell you to get it back to stock to see if it's still doing it and let me know if you're still having issues.

I love it when people come back with the remark that they are not the one who did it and do not know how to get it back, well then stop letting other people make mods to your phone if you do not know how to reverse it, as it does void the manufacture warranty.

• Like 1

Sounds like you are getting a lot of work done...

Folks, this is the type of excessive usage that makes unlimited data untenable. So, I guess enjoy it while it lasts because some users relish sucking the teat dry. Unlimited data will go the way of the dodo, or slow speeds will be here again.

AJ

Thank you, . I think this the greater challenge...I'm on my phone so I can't source but I was reading yesterday elsewhere that mobile data usage increased by more than 100% in the last year.

Sprint is known however to cancel the accts of users who are using excessive amounts of data so that might be one way to sustain the network and unlimited.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Edited by userwhat