Evo LTE serious problems or bull?

gangrene

It's on the Note 2... and I believe the S3.

Its on the S3 and even on the LG Viper after it got ICS. Next time I go to Sprint I'll check out the Mach & Optimus G.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forum Runner

How do you get to it? I'd like to see it on my wife's S3.

##DATA#, then tap 'View', tap 'Advanced', & then scroll to the bottom. If I remember correctly, it's down there on the bottom. I have the Galaxy Nexus now, and haven't seen an LTE Available record list on it.

Jelly bean update is now available. I can't tell if it's suppose to fix the LTE issues. It doesn't say anything about it on the forums.

Has not fixed the LTE for me. Still have to toggle airplane mode.

Really disappointed

Haven't had a chance to test it since the update, but I also haven't had to toggle the phone to airplane mode for almost two months. Just been lucky I guess with the areas I have been in.

There are a few spots on the way home that I have been unable to hold connection. I guess tonight I will see what happens.

Sent from my EVO using Forum Runner

Really disappointed

As I posted in another thread, with just about every device except maybe the Note 2 and iPhone, you have to toggle if you want LTE to show up RIGHT NOW. The problem was that the other phones would connect in a few minutes or so, sometimes less, but the EVO would take up to half an hour. We are already getting reports that the EVO is connecting quicker than it was before, and on it's own. Have some patience, and see if it is able to connect by itself. And then see what your signal is, if it is very weak, then there isn't really anything that can be done at the moment, except wait for a closer tower to be upgraded.

I'll try also with my wife's S3. I will say this. On my way home I DISCOVERED a 4G area along my way home that I didn't even know existed. And also another area that I always drive thru but my phone has never switched onto the phone grabbed it about the same time my wife's S3 did last time we were in that area. Signal showed - 117 - 120, which I hadn't seen it maintain let alone try to connect to before. So my initial observations are promising. It's definitely an improvement!

• Like 4

Right; the way it's presumably supposed to work is when your phone connects to that SID/NID/BSID combo, it immediately (or more frequently) scans for LTE rather than waiting for the next scheduled LTE scan. On the Evo it seems to have some effect but there doesn't seem to be any obvious way to see if an LTE scan is in progress to verify that it matters.

Ideally Sprint would load this into a file that phones would cache (much like A-GPS on your phone caches the GPS ephemeris to get a quicker signal lock), so each phone wouldn't have to discover each LTE record itself; we're not talking about a huge database here, by modern smartphone standards, although it probably would be substantially bigger than the CDMA PRL. Maybe they plan to do something like this (there was some talk at the Evo's launch that they'd eventually roll out some sort of solution to LTE scanning to make it more aggressive where LTE was rolled out already), or maybe they now figure in 12-18 months they'll just crank down the scan time universally once the CDMA footprint is almost totally overlaid outside nTelosland and a few other pockets of wholesale resistance.

If you look at the LTE Engineering screen, when not connected to LTE, the state ( if I recall) will be searching.

I went by an area near a known good tower where my phone will sometimes grab it outside, sometimes not, and inside it would only hold 4g in certain parts of the house (while my wife's S3 locks on and stays on throughout the house). Now post-update, my phone was on 4g and stayed on 4g the whole time I was in the house, no matter where within. Also on my way in, I passed an area where my phone picked up 4g before but I noticed it held onto the signal much longer than before. I saw in the status screen the signal went down to about -122 or -125 before it kicked back to 3g. Got to say I'm very impressed. For me it's much better than before.

• Like 3

I was at best buy 2 weeks ago and they told me the Evo lte was going to be free the following week on deal of the day. They just happened to have 3 white ones so I got it for $49 and went back the following week and got my money back on price match. I can connect to lte with no issues and stay connected all day even inside at work.

2012-11-29_13-46-25.png

What rom are u usin bro. Looks good and congrats on the Evo. I was about to get the white one but didn't know when it was gettin jb. And our Sprint phones have the best call and voice quality

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus Rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

Really disappointed

So, you're disappointed that something not listed in the update changelog... wasn't in the update? They don't "sneak in" major fixes like this you know.

I'm confused here. Is there an LTE only setting on the phone I'm missing? All I see is LTE/CDMA or CDMA only. Do you have to pull a third party app from the App Store to force the radio into quick strong LTE mode? What gives, guys?

I'm confused here. Is there an LTE only setting on the phone I'm missing? All I see is LTE/CDMA or CDMA only. Do you have to pull a third party app from the App Store to force the radio into quick strong LTE mode? What gives, guys?

You have to go into the internal menus that require a numeric code to be entered in the dialer.

I'm confused here. Is there an LTE only setting on the phone I'm missing? All I see is LTE/CDMA or CDMA only. Do you have to pull a third party app from the App Store to force the radio into quick strong LTE mode? What gives' date=' guys?[/quote']

You can use Elixir app which can be downloaded from the market, or as mentioned already you can get the msl code and do it that way.

Sent from my EVO using Forum Runner