Evo LTE serious problems or bull?

gangrene

This is a great theory. Thanks Robert. I wonder if this fluctuation has anything to do with the long pause I have when gaining my 3G signal. It seems like a long time not just when I toggle airplane mode but whenever I pick up my phone my 3G icon is grayed out for what seems like a full 7-10 seconds. Talk about buyers remorse. Wish I could get Sprint to take this thing back

Robert, which LTE devices performed ideally in your latest test? We're always comparing to the SG3 and the iPhone.... is it because they're the most popular devices or the most reliable when it comes to this? How did, say, the Optimus and the Photon Q fare?

Today while mapping are area of 4G connection, I had 4G on mission rd from 159th street to 175st where I lost 4g and started connecting 3G. I did a u-turn at 175st and started back towards 159th. I did not switch from 3G to 4G the entire route. It makes me think it is a software issue rather than a hardware issue?

I'm really frustrated with my EVO because it cannot get LTE or stay on it. Side by side with my family member's Note 2, the Note 2 can pick up LTE in many different locations where as my EVO cannot. Also, speedtests on the Note 2 are about 3-5x faster. I'm wondering if I can talk to Sprint about this and if they will let me get a phone at upgrade pricing. I have 2 EVOs too and they both have the same problems. I'm seeing some of the same problems in this forum too.

I've been talking to Sprint store reps and a lot of them are now discouraging people from buying the EVO. Its so sad too that HTC failed with this phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forum Runner

• Like 1

I was at best buy 2 weeks ago and they told me the Evo lte was going to be free the following week on deal of the day. They just happened to have 3 white ones so I got it for $49 and went back the following week and got my money back on price match. I can connect to lte with no issues and stay connected all day even inside at work.

2012-11-29_13-46-25.png

• Like 2

Sprint's giving me a $50 credit for a few months and they might give me upgrade pricing for a new phone. Will update later. Sounds like they know it's a well known issue because they admitted to me that they know about the problems.

What did you have to do to get that? Like what specific issues did you complain about? I was all about calling them earlier but no one was saying anything about having any luck with it.

Has anyone had any luck with cyanogenmod 10 fixing any of these problems? Or is it a firmware issue?

Decks newest build fixed that issue I believe. Check out his 12/4 build on XDA and see if it helps.

Sent from my rooted LTEVO running CM10.

When lte was lit up in my area a few months ago there was trouble keeping the lte signal. Over the past month lte service is expanding in my area and connectivity is getting better and better. My Evo is always on lte. When I leave the area and re enter the area it seems to now be switching back and forth pretty good.

EVO-LUTION 4G LTE

• Like 1

When lte was lit up in my area a few months ago there was trouble keeping the lte signal. Over the past month lte service is expanding in my area and connectivity is getting better and better. My Evo is always on lte. When I leave the area and re enter the area it seems to now be switching back and forth pretty good. EVO-LUTION 4G LTE

And it probably will if you do not clear your LTE record.

Robert

When lte was lit up in my area a few months ago there was trouble keeping the lte signal. Over the past month lte service is expanding in my area and connectivity is getting better and better. My Evo is always on lte. When I leave the area and re enter the area it seems to now be switching back and forth pretty good.

EVO-LUTION 4G LTE

My LTE connection is on/off indoors. it locks on better when outside.

Well as far as lte performance, my evo is doing fine now. Even though I am out of town again, when I was in atlanta my evo didn't lose lte connection one single time. I mean from when I turned on the phone when the plane landed to two weeks later when I turned off the phone on my flight out my phone never went to 3g. Of course though my general area is covered really well. To add though, I have spent a little time in puerto rico as well and I didn't have any lte connection issues at all, no toggling of any kind was required and the lte signal was very weak for the most part.

• Like 1

Why does the LTE record include SID, NID and BSID if LTE does not squak them? Or, if LTE record can get them, why can't the mapping apps?

I think the consensus speculation is that the LTE Record is just a list of 1x CDMA sites to which the device happened to be connected while it had an LTE connection. These are not necessarily the same sites as the one that had the LTE signal, and in a thinly developed market probably are not the same. These CDMA sites likely don't even have LTE upgrades yet.

As best as anyone can tell, this "LTE Record" might form the basis for some scheme to optimize scanning for LTE sites. No one knows for sure. But we do know that mapping them would be a nonsensical way to show LTE. It would be pure misinformation.

Some of us at S4GRU do know how to map the real LTE sector IDs using the LTE Engineering screens of most devices. We have reverse-engineered that much. But this takes a lot of work by users doing field surveys to capture the IDs and triangulate them so they can be correlated to antenna sites. It is not an automated process by any means, and no mapping app will do it all for you. To my knowledge, no one is even trying to map LTE sites by their sector IDs, except for those of us in the sponsor thread for Austin and nearby areas. We have mapped almost every live tower by its LTE sector IDs.

• Like 1

What did you have to do to get that? Like what specific issues did you complain about? I was all about calling them earlier but no one was saying anything about having any luck with it.

No luck yet on the upgrade pricing. I just complained that I am in a 4G area all of the time and it won't connect to it. The Sprint rep even said to me that I should be connecting because I'm surrounded by 4G towers. They said to take it into the repair center and see if something is wrong with it. I went through the Chicago loop 1 week ago, and I never connected to 4G once while my family member's Note 2 connected with ease and stayed on it. This is irritating.

I think the consensus speculation is that the LTE Record is just a list of 1x CDMA sites to which the device happened to be connected while it had an LTE connection. These are not necessarily the same sites as the one that had the LTE signal, and in a thinly developed market probably are not the same. These CDMA sites likely don't even have LTE upgrades yet.

As best as anyone can tell, this "LTE Record" might form the basis for some scheme to optimize scanning for LTE sites. No one know for sure. But we do know that mapping them would be a nonsensical way to show LTE. It would be pure misinformation.

Right; the way it's presumably supposed to work is when your phone connects to that SID/NID/BSID combo, it immediately (or more frequently) scans for LTE rather than waiting for the next scheduled LTE scan. On the Evo it seems to have some effect but there doesn't seem to be any obvious way to see if an LTE scan is in progress to verify that it matters.

Ideally Sprint would load this into a file that phones would cache (much like A-GPS on your phone caches the GPS ephemeris to get a quicker signal lock), so each phone wouldn't have to discover each LTE record itself; we're not talking about a huge database here, by modern smartphone standards, although it probably would be substantially bigger than the CDMA PRL. Maybe they plan to do something like this (there was some talk at the Evo's launch that they'd eventually roll out some sort of solution to LTE scanning to make it more aggressive where LTE was rolled out already), or maybe they now figure in 12-18 months they'll just crank down the scan time universally once the CDMA footprint is almost totally overlaid outside nTelosland and a few other pockets of wholesale resistance.

That is just stupid that you would write to a file the 3G tower your connected to in relation to the 4G connection. What good what that file do? On the Evo, when connected 4G looking at LTE Engieering, the serving cell site is 04c11302, the 3G cell site that it is connected to is nid: 41 sid: 4139 bsid: 1826.

I have seen where most of the serving sites I am around in Overland Park start with 04c0 or 04c1.

In LTE Engineering, I can see that it is scanning for 4G, as I pass 3 or 4 towers that have LTE on them and then connect to a 4G towner. Go Figure!

This post is not in response to lordsutch. He posted before I could respond.

That is just stupid that you would write to a file the 3G tower your connected to in relation to the 4G connection. What good what that file do? On the Evo, when connected 4G looking at LTE Engieering, the serving cell site is 04c11302, the 3G cell site that it is connected to is nid: 41 sid: 4139 bsid: 1826.

I have seen where most of the serving sites I am around in Overland Park start with 04c0 or 04c1.

Congratulations. You now have taken the initial step toward mapping LTE sites by their actual LTE IDs. But these have nothing to do with the NID, SID and BSID values, which all pertain to the CDMA hierarchy. Eventually these two sets of radios (CDMA and LTE) will tend to coexist on the same Sprint tower sites, but the only way for us to correlate them is by empirical surveys. Presumably Sprint has internal databases that can relate them, but we don't have access to them. Neither do our handsets, AFAIK.

We think the LTE Record is just a crude way to build a local set of CDMA IDs that might trigger an optimized scan for some LTE signal. It might be good for that, but nothing else I can think of. It does not correlate specific LTE IDs to specific LTE IDs.

Not 3g tower but 1x sectors. There are no sids assigned to evdo sectors. Actually Sprint uses one ID for their entire network. And it's derived off of the Kansas City SID.

It really makes total sense to me with the LTE file. The phone remembers where the LTE was. This will go away when the NV is complete of course as it will not be needed.

Sent from a little old Note 2