Spoiled Rotten Apple

Duffman

http://www.thedailyb...n-u-s-jobs.html

Can the world’s richest corporation really not afford to build iPhones and iPads in the United States? ....Apple says no...

Back in the 1980s, Apple was having trouble getting Japan to open its market to Apple products, and it wanted the U.S. trade negotiators’ help. At the time, Apple espoused “the funny notion that the U.S. government had an obligation to help them,” Prestowitz recalls. In the 1990s, when Apple was hurting, it sought tax breaks from the city of Cupertino and the state of California.

Even now, the company gets help from the U.S. in the form of protection of its intellectual property from cloners in other countries. Apple and other U.S. firms often find their products being counterfeited overseas and ask the U.S. government to press other countries to crack down on the copycats. “Whenever some executive says, ‘I have a fiduciary responsibility to my shareholders and not to the U.S.,’ I say, ‘Well, OK, then don’t come to me when you have problems with theft of intellectual property,’” says Prestowitz, who now leads the Economic Strategy Institute.

• Like 2

To me, it's almost unconscionable with how much profit Apple makes on the iPhone and the iPad that they don't make them here in the U.S. The amount of high paying jobs that we would have exporting Apple products all over the world from America. It's really sad.

And I just think of all those politicians who complain about all the jobs going out of the country. They are extremely critical of companies that do their manufacturing overseas, even when the companies are unprofitable and losing money and have no choice. But in the case of Apple, they are the most profitable company in the World. They are making money hand over fist! And they ship out all these jobs that could be done here. And those same politicians love Apple. It's very sad.

• Like 4

:soapbox: It isn't just Apple though. Stanley comes to mind also. I hate how so many "American" companies are sending jobs overseas without a second thought. Nothing like sacrificing American jobs for a few extra bucks in your pocket, but still feeling entitled to everything that American companies are afforded by the taxpayers. Then American citizens blindly buy these same products and justify the move overseas... [steps off soapbox]

P.S. The tag cracks me up...

• Like 2

To me, it's almost unconscionable with how much profit Apple makes on the iPhone and the iPad that they don't make them here in the U.S. The amount of high paying jobs that we would have exporting Apple products all over the world from America. It's really sad.

And I just think of all those politicians who complain about all the jobs going out of the country. They are extremely critical of companies that do their manufacturing overseas, even when the companies are unprofitable and losing money and have no choice. But in the case of Apple, they are the most profitable company in the World. They are making money hand over fist! And they ship out all these jobs that could be done here. And those same politicians love Apple. It's very sad.

Damn, I wish I could +1 this (but cant, since you're admin). Well said, man!

I couldn't agree more. Today I read this (Apple saying they have more money than they need), and thought of a couple of your posts. Ridiculous.

http://money.msn.com/business-news/article.aspx?feed=AP&date=20120223&id=14824356

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Foxconn workers make two dollars an hour. Do you really think Apple wants to pay American workers nine or ten dollars an hour to assemble their products? I wholeheartedly agree that iDevices should be produced in the States, but then it wouldn't be nearly as profitable for Apple and we would be paying a lot more for the hardware.

Foxconn workers make two dollars an hour. Do you really think Apple wants to pay American workers nine or ten dollars an hour to assemble their products? I wholeheartedly agree that iDevices should be produced in the States' date=' but then it wouldn't be nearly as profitable for Apple and we would be paying a lot more for the hardware.[/quote']

And with their obscene profits, they can afford to :imo:. The fact that they don't want to, shows their true nature. And that's fine, but I'm going to call it out.

Robert via NOVO7PALADIN Tablet using Forum Runner

And with their obscene profits, they can afford to :imo:. The fact that they don't want to, shows their true nature. And that's fine, but I'm going to call it out.

Robert via NOVO7PALADIN Tablet using Forum Runner

Yes they can afford too but why would they if its not going to help their bottom line? They are a business like any other business and their purpose is to be as profitable as they can be and when it comes to cutting costs labor is one area that almost always gets looked at first. There aren't many businesses out there that are willing to pay more than they have too when it comes to anything. It really does suck but thats simply the world we live in.

The problem is more general... The Chinese government pays for tons of stuff, via the state owned banks, etc. Hear a rumor that Apple may be building a new product? The Chinese government will put 150 people through a school crash course, fund the building of a factory, buy patent rights, setup a supply chain, etc - all on a speculative basis. When your lead time to market in China is 4 weeks vs 8 months in the US, everything else becomes irrelevant.

We don't have anything like an industrial policy here and when politicians do take chances on funding startups or funding education everyone whines about the deficit. When those Chinese loans go bad, the state banks just roll them over to a new loan - often for years until the factory can find a product to build. Eventually they are going to have issues due to the malinvestment and jacked banking system but they can plow on for many years before that happens.

I would also point out that the US is king in software and Apple has given hundreds of thousands of us a platform to sell our software. I personally have an app in the App Store and it is bringing in money every month. That means every single iDevice worldwide is another potential customer... I read the other day that developers are capturing something like $30 per iDevice. Not sure if that is accurate or not.

The problem is more general... The Chinese government pays for tons of stuff, via the state owned banks, etc. Hear a rumor that Apple may be building a new product? The Chinese government will put 150 people through a school crash course, fund the building of a factory, buy patent rights, setup a supply chain, etc - all on a speculative basis. When your lead time to market in China is 4 weeks vs 8 months in the US, everything else becomes irrelevant.

We don't have anything like an industrial policy here and when politicians do take chances on funding startups or funding education everyone whines about the deficit. When those Chinese loans go bad, the state banks just roll them over to a new loan - often for years until the factory can find a product to build. Eventually they are going to have issues due to the malinvestment and jacked banking system but they can plow on for many years before that happens.

I would also point out that the US is king in software and Apple has given hundreds of thousands of us a platform to sell our software. I personally have an app in the App Store and it is bringing in money every month. That means every single iDevice worldwide is another potential customer... I read the other day that developers are capturing something like $30 per iDevice. Not sure if that is accurate or not.

Please post a link to your app. I may just have it already, and if not, I might be interested in buying it.

Please post a link to your app. I may just have it already, and if not, I might be interested in buying it.

Wasn't sure if that sort of self-promotion is allowed or not.

My app is Storm Sim, a rainstorm sound / whitenoise app to help you sleep. It is different than most as it is not just some pre-recorded storms. It dynamically generates a storm that never repeats or loops. You can save as many different storms as you like and edit each one (less, more, louder, softer, more variable, more consistent, etc and mix-match different effects). You can also buy add-on packs to add other sounds like trains, waterfalls, etc. There is a free version but the paid one is way cheaper than buying all the in-app purchases on the free one so save your $$.

http://goo.gl/hk1lD

Wasn't sure if that sort of self-promotion is allowed or not.

My app is Storm Sim, a rainstorm sound / whitenoise app to help you sleep. It is different than most as it is not just some pre-recorded storms. It dynamically generates a storm that never repeats or loops. You can save as many different storms as you like and edit each one (less, more, louder, softer, more variable, more consistent, etc and mix-match different effects). You can also buy add-on packs to add other sounds like trains, waterfalls, etc. There is a free version but the paid one is way cheaper than buying all the in-app purchases on the free one so save your $$.

http://goo.gl/hk1lD

It's not self promotion when someone requests the link.

Thanks.