Network Vision/LTE - San Diego Market

ferhusky

Sounds like the site is having issues. However, the EVO LTE does not show LTE signal strength in bars. Only voice, even when 4G icon is showing:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2040-bars-lie-for-lte-signal-strength-how-to-determine-your-actual-lte-signal-strength/

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

Sounds like the site is having issues. However, the EVO LTE does not show LTE signal strength in bars. Only voice, even when 4G icon is showing:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2040-bars-lie-for-lte-signal-strength-how-to-determine-your-actual-lte-signal-strength/

Does the same rule apply to 3G too?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

With CyanogenMod ASOP ROM the 4G signal meter seems to correspond to the signal strength reported by Sensorly. When the 4G bars disappeared the phone switched over to 3G which lines up with the signal indicator in Sensorly.

BTW, no 4G at either site in Santee today, but LA Mesa still going strong; mapped a couple more streets today. I can't wait for that purple blob to hover over my house.

• Like 1

If I have 1-2 bars in the area where I Iive does that mean 4g will be just as weak?

Not necessarily. Only if the site you're getting the signal from is your closest site. Which most likely it is not. Are you having 1-2 bars indoors or outdoors?

Not necessarily. Only if the site you're getting the signal from is your closest site. Which most likely it is not. Are you having 1-2 bars indoors or outdoors?

I have 1-2 bars indoors and outdoors (mostly indoors) with speeds of about 600kb/s. If you go down the street, however, you get up to 2 mbps with the same amount of bars.

I have 1-2 bars indoors and outdoors (mostly indoors) with speeds of about 600kb/s. If you go down the street, however, you get up to 2 mbps with the same amount of bars.

For some reason I thought you had an iPhone. But if you have the GS3, it doesn't ever show you your LTE signal strength in bars. Even if you have the 4G icon showing. More into about that here: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2040-bars-lie-for-lte-signal-strength-how-to-determine-your-actual-lte-signal-strength/

For some reason I thought you had an iPhone. But if you have the GS3, it doesn't ever show you your LTE signal strength in bars. Even if you have the 4G icon showing. More into about that here: http://s4gru.com/ind...ignal-strength/

Wow, all this time I thought those bars meant 3g/4g strength; thanks for the info. Guess I'll just have to wait and hope for the best...

Oh Man, I work right between the new purple blob, and the La Jolla purple blob. I can't wait for them to converge. I'll head over there tomorrow at lunch, or maybe on the way home tonight.

Update:

Ok,I drove south on Ruffin Rd from the 52 and it seemed pretty spotty and died out just south of Clairemont Mesa Blvd. looking at Sensorly now I see the signal looks stronger by the 52, so maybe the tower is up that way. I did two speed tests: it failed once and only got .93 Mbps next.

• Like 1

Oh Man, I work right between the new purple blob, and the La Jolla purple blob. I can't wait for them to converge. I'll head over there tomorrow at lunch, or maybe on the way home tonight.

Update:

Ok,I drove south on Ruffin Rd from the 52 and it seemed pretty spotty and died out just south of Clairemont Mesa Blvd. looking at Sensorly now I see the signal looks stronger by the 52, so maybe the tower is up that way. I did two speed tests: it failed once and only got .93 Mbps next.

I wouldn't be surprised that if all the prelaunch LTE sites are expecting this simultaneously. I was getting very similar speeds in the Carlsbad cluster over the past weekend.

Three new LTE sites accepted in the San Diego market on Tuesday. More details in this Sponsor thread: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/617-network-vision-site-map-san-diego-riversidesan-bernardino-and-las-vegas-markets/page__view__findpost__p__104858

Robert

• Like 1

Maybe this is the wrong place to ask, but does Sprint lease locations from AT&T? There is a parking lot near my house that has four light poles with antennas hidden on them, and each pole has a sign that says AT&T Mobility. I can't find any other antennas in the area.

Recorded more 4G LTE in Southern Carlsbad, in and around the intersection of El Camino Real & La Costa Ave. I did have Sensorly running and will post a screenshot when the info is fully uploaded.

i'm getting LTE at my house and in my neighborhood near Carmel Mtn Ranch Country Club off Ted Williams. This is just north of the Scripps Ranch Pkwy where LTE has been spotted as well. I really wish I could map it to Sensorly though.

• Like 1

i'm getting LTE at my house and in my neighborhood near Carmel Mtn Ranch Country Club off Ted Williams. This is just north of the Scripps Ranch Pkwy where LTE has been spotted as well. I really wish I could map it to Sensorly though.

Why can't you map on Sensorly? is it because you have a bad phone?

Maybe this is the wrong place to ask, but does Sprint lease locations from AT&T? There is a parking lot near my house that has four light poles with antennas hidden on them, and each pole has a sign that says AT&T Mobility. I can't find any other antennas in the area.

Almost never. More likely it is a colocated site with a different owner than AT&T and they both lease from them. AT&T likes to mark their territory like a dog pissing on a fire hydrant. They have signs all over the place at some of the sites in my area, even though they lease the site from companies like SBA, American Tower, Crown Castle, etc.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD