Network Vision/LTE - San Diego Market

ferhusky

I went on a joy ride while heading back home to Oceanside. Mapped up a ton of the inner areas on Couch St that also included, Fire Mountain, California St, Skylark Dr, Grandview St, Hunsaker St, Downs St, Dunstan, etc.......then beginning to end of Cassidy St (East to West) that ended at ocean, and from there mapped up and down Meyers St on the coast.

When I got off of Oside Blvd onto Couch St going up hill on Gardenview St/Ridgeway St, I seen these panels mounted on light post, which are commonly seen in some areas of Oside and Vista.

panel1.jpg

There was also another on RidgewaySt/California St intersection across the street from a church. I got out and took pics, ran 2 speed tests standing underneath it. When I left, I drove up the street a couple hundred feet, and noticed antennas on a power line on opposite side of that same street.

site2.jpg

site21.jpg

site22.jpg

test1.png

test2.png

• Like 1

Visiting here from Las Vegas this weekend; SD is my second home city going back to the 70's; no 4G LTE where I am in Oceanside but the 3G is WAY faster than when I was here in February..so something has changed here with NV; 3G downloads this AM were close to 2 mbs; speeds I've never seen before with 3G; 3G is also way better at my house in Henderson...go NV

• Like 1

where's here anyways?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Westmore Road east of Camino Ruiz. The maps show a 4G tower SW of me but my phone keeps using a tower east of me that doesn't have it.

It seems like my device is still slow to learn where 4G is. I go to spots where I know that I've had 4G before, and I use lte discovery to get the signal back, otherwise it will just stay as 3G.

Traffic jams have also helped. It seems that going 70 on the highway doesn't help map, but I do tend to pick up 4G when rolling at 10 mph. I've never had 4G at Encinitas Blvd, but thanks to a crash this morning, I did. It's kinda funny (assuming no one was hurt).

It seems like my device is still slow to learn where 4G is. I go to spots where I know that I've had 4G before, and I use lte discovery to get the signal back, otherwise it will just stay as 3G.Traffic jams have also helped. It seems that going 70 on the highway doesn't help map, but I do tend to pick up 4G when rolling at 10 mph. I've never had 4G at Encinitas Blvd, but thanks to a crash this morning, I did. It's kinda funny (assuming no one was hurt).

As for my S3, I haven't been having that slow to find issue. Mine always switches over automatically when in LTE spots. Does it a lot on the 5 switching back and forth in between the 5/76 split until I get off on Leucadia which is 3G until i hit Garden View, and back to LTE in the area I work at in Encinitas. If it doesn't change at work, I always update the PRL, and wham! LTE all day in the office.

Since last Fri, been having terrible to no service at home in Oside (92057). The weekend was way worse. Called Sprint to see what was up, and rep said a nearby tower is down, tickets were submitted, techs are out working on it, and will be completed on 6/4. I went out a couple of times, and noticed networks kept switching back and forth like it couldnt make up it's mind going anywhere from no network, 1x, EVDO Rev A, and ePHRD both Sat and Sun.

Yeah, I have to get better at remembering PRL update.

Can the signal go from LTE to eHRPD on the same tower? According to Netmonitor, that was the case for me. But then again, according to Netmonitor, there's a tower a few miles off shore.

there used to always be 4g at my house everytime i woke up (houses in front of eastlake high) and now i only pick it up on eastlake parkway at the closest. theres a tower less than a quarter mile away from my house, i wonder why i'm not picking it up anymore.

Had 3G here at work when I came in. Updated my PRL, had a 4G signal, but couldn't get any data. DNS issues. Changed data to CDMA only, 3G is fine. I'll have to see if I can switch it back over.

Your PRL will not help you get better LTE reception. It effects voice and 3G service. Updating your Prl will reset your radio and may grab a better signal when it restarts. Digiblur has a informative article about it on the front page.

As for trying to force LTE, you can set you preferred network to LTE. Dial *#*#4636#*#* in your dialer and click Phone Information. Scroll down to preferred network type and change it to LTE only. Just to let you know, this will not guarantee a LTE connection and may will drop to 1xRTT

Yeah, I wasn't expecting better LTE with the PRL update. But the tower is one building over, so I know I have a strong signal, and I couldn't even load Google after the update.

Either way, after setting the mode back to CDMA/LTE, I'm getting 15+ Mbps.

There should be more sites going live in Mission Valley soon.  Majority of them are waiting on AT&T fiber installs.  AT&T dragging their feet on many sites in San Diego.  It sux for Sprint to depend on fiber from their competitor.

Welcome 4G LTE to Mission Valley!  Getting average 25Mbps+ at this site.

Screenshot_2013-06-04-10-45-48.png

Screenshot_2013-06-04-10-46-44.png

I'm surprised that Sprint would use AT&T for its internet services to the tower. I would've thought Sprint in this instance would use Time Warner Cable/Cox for those services, unless Sprint got a better deal from AT&T. Then again I'm surprised AT&T would let Sprint buy their service since AT&T has their own wireless division. I guess the only reason why AT&T would sell their internet services, is due to some sort of government regulation where they have to sell their products to competitors.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2