Network Vision/LTE - South Bay Market (San Jose/Salinas/Monterey)

Xlegendxero

One more question and then I promise to find something better to think about   :)   Would it make sense to try loading the PRL used for Andriod devices (which gives 1900 and 800 even priority) and see if that performs better?  Would there be any harm in doing so?  (Based on what I've read, I think I will be able to load a different PRL even though it's an iPhone...that's not the question I'm asking.)

(Based on what I've read, I think I will be able to load a different PRL even though it's an iPhone...that's not the question I'm asking.)

ok - maybe not...at least not without some detective work.  I don't see the PRL in the place it normally would be on pre-5s phones.  In the Sprint carrier bundle directory, there's a file called carrier.pri (note: last letter is "i"), which is a plist XML file that has a lot of data that a PRL would have (based on reading digiblur's awesome article).  However, I don't think it has even close to everything.  I'm happy to post a copy if anyone is interested.  In the Verizon carrier bundle directory (looking just for comparison - no interest in using their PRL), there is a carrier.prl file (last letter L), so it's not an across the board change to put the PRL file somewhere else.  I'll keep digging...

Marc

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

San Jose, especially the golden triangle, had pretty good Wimax coverage, so it now has good B41 coverage.  In fact, northern SJ could easily be launched right now given their density of towers with B25.  SF, on the other hand, is a sad story.

I work near the Airport on Technology Drive and my LTE just got a lot better last week, well over 10 Mbps most of the time, whereas for a couple years before that it was barely connecting and giving me less than 1 Mbps.  I'm on an Evo LTE.

I was in San Jose around the first and a lot of 3G on my Triband while my G3 was able to connect to LTE. I wished I could have taken the picture of the monopol on Capital Expressway getting new sets of antennas installed.

I was in San Jose around the first and a lot of 3G on my Triband while my G3 was able to connect to LTE. I wished I could have taken the picture of the monopol on Capital Expressway getting new sets of antennas installed.

Yeah, Samsung eCSFB is not a common thing in the South Bay.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

I will know more this week because I have to drive from Las Vegas to San Jose and it would be nice to see the improved coverage on the I-5. Not even AT&T or Verizon have fully covered the Interstate but Sprint roamed a lot on MetroPCS and Cricket.

Do you think that's true in both north San Jose and south San Jose?  Judging at the map, northern half of the market seems done and mature, so eCSFB seems likely to be there, don't you?

Do you think that's true in both north San Jose and south San Jose? Judging at the map, northern half of the market seems done and mature, so eCSFB seems likely to be there, don't you?

It should be. But I have heard reports that CSFB still seems to be a problem in North San Jose, Milpitas and Mountain View. Hopefully it has been corrected now.

Switched to Sprint sim on my Nexus 5 to test out the LTE in San Jose. Looks like the area still has issues :( Very annoying,..

Was that in North San Jose where things have been "Green" for a while or in south San Jose, land of purple and brown?

Was that in North San Jose where things have been "Green" for a while or in south San Jose, land of purple and brown?

On downtown and the southside. Hopefully they fix those issues soon.

On the northside I was picking up LTE good. Wasn't able to connect to B41 :/

There has been a noticeable improvement in the area N/NE of SJC (e.g., Orchard Parkway).

As for the south part of San Jose, does anyone else feel as if Sprint has forgotten us?  5 LTE updates in the last map update, and zero in the south part of San Jose (and zero in all the ones I can remember for the past several months).  I hope one day I leave home and find that a big cluster of LTE sites has been turned on.  Would they launch the South Bay market with such a large area still not updated?  Areas such as Hamilton Ave near Bascom (with a Sprint corporate store!) with near zero data speeds most of the time...

Marc

There has been a noticeable improvement in the area N/NE of SJC (e.g., Orchard Parkway).

As for the south part of San Jose, does anyone else feel as if Sprint has forgotten us?  5 LTE updates in the last map update, and zero in the south part of San Jose (and zero in all the ones I can remember for the past several months).  I hope one day I leave home and find that a big cluster of LTE sites has been turned on.  Would they launch the South Bay market with such a large area still not updated?  Areas such as Hamilton Ave near Bascom (with a Sprint corporate store!) with near zero data speeds most of the time...

Marc

I find LTE quite useless in South San Kose and I am glad to carry an additional WiMax phone with me.

A lot of sites in south San Jose to Los Gatos are still not in progress. Hopefully that changes really soon.

I lose LTE as soon as I'm on 280 and take 87 south to Almaden expressway. Then I get some LTE back close to Santa Cruz. I have some relatives that live in Watsonville with really strong lte coverage.

I'm sure all of San Jose will be clustered lunch shortly. Reminds me of what is going on in SF. No acceptances in SF for months until the last acceptance report.

A lot of sites in south San Jose to Los Gatos are still not in progress. Hopefully that changes really soon.

I lose LTE as soon as I'm on 280 and take 87 south to Almaden expressway. Then I get some LTE back close to Santa Cruz. I have some relatives that live in Watsonville with really strong lte coverage.

I'm sure all of San Jose will be clustered lunch shortly. Reminds me of what is going on in SF. No acceptances in SF for months until the last acceptance report.

Yea, Sprint always seems to leave downtown for last. SF, SJ.  Even look at downtown Chicago in the loop.  Many towers that are not touched yet.  I'm following the Omaha, NE market, and these guys went from nothing in Oct to pretty much done today.  Sounds like we're still at least 6 months away from proper coverage.  

Coverage in SF is pathetic, and you can drain your phone in less than 10 hours just carrying it around.  SDV/SLTE help drain battery twice as fast.  

Yea, Sprint always seems to leave downtown for last. SF, SJ.  Even look at downtown Chicago in the loop.  Many towers that are not touched yet.  I'm following the Omaha, NE market, and these guys went from nothing in Oct to pretty much done today.  Sounds like we're still at least 6 months away from proper coverage.  

Coverage in SF is pathetic, and you can drain your phone in less than 10 hours just carrying it around.  SDV/SLTE help drain battery twice as fast.  

At least downtown mountain view is done.  Downtown San Mateo is spotty

Marc

I honestly feel totally abandoned. My brother and other family all live in Willow Glen and the area has a few 4G only upgrades and nothing else. It's so frustrating when it feels like yours is one of the only areas that is lagging behind, or rather when all around you upgrades are happening and then... nothing. I am in the same situation at UCLA in LA - everyplace around is upgraded, but the two towers on campus are 3G/800 with no dice for LTE. 

As we rolled past ------- this afternoon (Bascom at 85, currently a brown turd on the map), I'm pretty sure I saw some guys on the ground working on panels.  I will try to get a better look next time we go by.  Maybe that one is starting the upgrade process.

Edited by lilotimz
Site ID in public

LTE (or eCSFB) is out in bay area this morning.  My phone had no signal around 7-8:30am, and now it's got 3G but frequently starts roaming.  Normally, I'd be pissed, but after reading this board, outages usually mean good things are coming.