Pictures of Panels and RRUs up close

I hope in 2014 sprint will announce.... Network Vision 2 (The massive rural expansion using SMR).

Assuming that they can get into the black around that time frame, I wouldn't be surprised to see some coverage expansion announced. Of course, I also expect to see some M&A activity next year so who knows?

I am just speaking hypotheticals here BUT......

What if Sprint won most of the licenses for the PCS H Block spectrum (1916-1920 and 1996-2000 maybe 2005 MHz if Dish gets pushed 5 MHz)?. These antennas are only rated for 1855-1995 MHz. Would Sprint have to replace new antennas to support the new H block spectrum? I know it sounds wrong for me to assume that Sprint should have thought about buying antennas that are rated at least in the low 2 GHz to cover any spectrum that they may potentially obtain in the future but I feel like that is what they should have done. I don't think there is anything wrong with getting antennas that contain some additional frequencies that your network currently doesn't support because you never know someday if you will have access to it.

Either way great pics of RRUs and antennas up close. Now I understand what Sprint means in that the 800 MHz and 1900 MHz antennas are on the same unit.

I am just speaking hypotheticals here BUT......

What if Sprint won most of the licenses for the PCS H Block spectrum (1916-1920 and 1996-2000 maybe 2005 MHz if Dish gets pushed 5 MHz)?. These antennas are only rated for 1855-1995 MHz. Would Sprint have to replace new antennas to support the new H block spectrum? I know it sounds wrong for me to assume that Sprint should have thought about buying antennas that are rated at least in the low 2 GHz to cover any spectrum that they may potentially obtain in the future but I feel like that is what they should have done. I don't think there is anything wrong with getting antennas that contain some additional frequencies that your network currently doesn't support because you never know someday if you will have access to it.

Either way great pics of RRUs and antennas up close. Now I understand what Sprint means in that the 800 MHz and 1900 MHz antennas are on the same unit.

We discussed in the other thread talking about the H block already. Yes, new panels and very possibly new RRUs for it. You would also need phones to support it. There's always going to be something bigger and better when you buy any tech.

What were the markings on the antennas for btw? I remember the Miami video guy saying "..." One was for alpha sector..." And think I remember one of your pics saying that but don't know how they classify the sectors exactly either...

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Just the names for the sectors. Alpha, Beta, etc. They already have the ACU's set, addresses in the RRU's, etc, since they all look the same they need to be able to identify them. I thought the azimuth markings were pretty funny too, but I can fully understand as I've done some similar work myself in the past, you don't want to be digging in your pockets for some settings.

This deserves a whole topic!!! Not sure where the topic would go, but I would love to see Sprint take on Verizon's 850 coverage. I know some places in northern Minnesota that T-Mobile and Sprint would both like to venture into (selfish).

In northern MN, Verizon actually sucks compared to AT&T. They both bought the smaller local carriers up north and south of the cities, Verizon is best and north of the cities, AT&T is much better. At least by our cabin NW of Grand Rapids

I've had the complete opposite, but it was southwest of Leech Lake and my ATT phone was 2g. In rural areas, you just gotta go with whoever has the closest tower to you.

One of the reasons I'm so excited for network vision is because AT&T who is collocated on the same Sprint tower that serves my cabin upgraded the tower from 1900 only edge (which was similar to what sprint is now 1 unusable bar or no service and I'm pretty sure the 1 bar was T-Mobile roaming), to 1900/850 HSPA+ which is a night and day difference from what it was. I can make calls indoors! Data works and fast!

sent from my 3VO from another EVO

• Like 1

Posted here so everyone can see them, sponsor or not.

20120923_134509_zpsf89964f5.jpg

20120923_133352_zpsf68c7a43.jpg

20120923_133404_zps80c63119.jpg

20120923_133418_zpsb560c008.jpg

20120923_133426_zpsa60e2ce3.jpg

20120923_133431_zps5a41a8b0.jpg

The above shots indicates a panel with CDMA 1900, CDMA 800, and LTE 1900. I assume when Sprint decides to add LTE 800, they'll need to install new panels at all of their towers. Is that correct?

The above shots indicates a panel with CDMA 1900, CDMA 800, and LTE 1900. I assume when Sprint decides to add LTE 800, they'll need to install new panels at all of their towers. Is that correct?

No, it all runs though that single antenna.

We discussed in the other thread talking about the H block already. Yes, new panels and very possibly new RRUs for it. You would also need phones to support it. There's always going to be something bigger and better when you buy any tech.

Just the names for the sectors. Alpha, Beta, etc. They already have the ACU's set, addresses in the RRU's, etc, since they all look the same they need to be able to identify them. I thought the azimuth markings were pretty funny too, but I can fully understand as I've done some similar work myself in the past, you don't want to be digging in your pockets for some settings.

Ahhh didn't realize they came pre set to a certain way. That makes sense now knowing that.

Holy crap I guess those RRUs and Antenna Panels are bigger that I ever imagined. The last post with pictures has a worker sitting on a RRU like a chair. What are the dimensions of the panels and RRUs?

• Like 1

Holy crap I guess those RRUs and Antenna Panels are bigger that I ever imagined. The last post with pictures has a worker sitting on a RRU like a chair. What are the dimensions of the panels and RRUs?

Well when you think about it you see them hundreds of feet away from the ground....so...

The panels used in Ericsson sites and Samsung sites are about 6 foot tall.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

• 3 months later...

And expensive. Talked to a couple guys working on a nearby tower a week or so ago and he mentioned the 800MHz RRUs cost about $20,000 each. They also said the contractors get about $25k per site for the work, but I'd imagine that varies some by geography.

And expensive. Talked to a couple guys working on a nearby tower a week or so ago and he mentioned the 800MHz RRUs cost about $20,000 each. They also said the contractors get about $25k per site for the work, but I'd imagine that varies some by geography.

Hope they don't tell the cities that. I have seen multiple times of $20k or less on the permits for the entire job.

-- "Sensorly or it didn't happen!"

Hope they don't tell the cities that. I have seen multiple times of $20k or less on the permits for the entire job.

-- "Sensorly or it didn't happen!"

Same here. Most Vegas sites have values of $5,000 to $10,000. lol

In honor of the men & women who risk their lives and climb these mammoth metal monstrosities every day to bring us fast wireless service, I'd like to thank all of them!

Here is au13xc091, which the climbers were putting the finishing touches up top yesterday in the drizzle and foggy weather. If you look very closely you can see a worker up there. The pic was taken while driving 65mph, so forgive me for it not being better. :)

au13xc091.JPG

• Like 1

As a person who deals with permitting all the time, there is a lot of variability in how valuation in permitting is handled. In some places, the value is based on the value of all materials used. In others, all materials except electrical and mechanical.

Also, many of these jurisdictions for cell tower work, they only have to pull a permit for the electrical only. If so, they may just have to declare to value of the materials used related to electrical supply and distribution and not the panels, RRU's and cabinets.

Welcome to my world.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

Crossposting from the "How to spot NV RRUs thread", my album of Sprint NV sites in San Antonio.

http://imgur.com/a/N4NJQ#0

Hopefully will be adding more pictures as I have time. :)

Enjoy!

Lil microwave link site there...