Best Way to Get a 5 Tomorrow?

nahum365

Just received the wife's iPhone 5 via UPS about 5 mins about. Charging it up right now. A little lighter..but barely noticeable. It is a little thinner than the GS3, and seems so small next to it. Haven't turned it on yet, wife still needs her EVO while she is at work..prolly drop it off to her in a little bit. Can't comment on anything else until I turn it on.

I thought the two-tone of the device was going to be much worse..but its not so bad. Ended up getting the White 32GB model..

• Like 4

Just received the wife's iPhone 5 via UPS about 5 mins about. Charging it up right now. A little lighter..but barely noticeable. It is a little thinner than the GS3, and seems so small next to it. Haven't turned it on yet, wife still needs her EVO while she is at work..prolly drop it off to her in a little bit. Can't comment on anything else until I turn it on.

I thought the two-tone of the device was going to be much worse..but its not so bad. Ended up getting the White 32GB model..

I like the white one much better than the black, and I hear that the anodized aluminum is easier to scratch on the black one, so if I did end up buying one, it will be white.

The iPhone 5 is the first LTE phone to have the combination of light weight, thinness/small size, excellent performance, and great battery life. All other LTE phones up until now have had crap battery life or are huge bricks (relatively) to cram in a massive battery. What's not to like? Especially for those of us with large numbers of iOS apps or an investment in the Apple ecosystem.

The Galaxy S3 has great battery life. People on here have shown that they have been getting a day or more per full charge! That's really great battery life. And as for performance, I was very impressed with the GS3's speed and response times. Plus it's lightweight, and very thin.

But I'm only concerned with battery life and a fully functioning phone.

I have 724 iOS apps, and still collect new ones on occasion. Most are free or freemium apps. I knew that I would have to buy exact duplicates of some of my existing apps I had on my iPhone. Oh well, not too much of a big deal for me.

• Like 1

The iPhone battery is supposedly on par with the Droid razr maxx with LTE on. According to engadget, the iPhone lasted 11:14mins on their video loop test, while the Evo LTE was 8:50 and the GS3 was 9:02. All respectable times, but the iPhone seems to win the battery contest.

Kinda makes me wish they made the phone wider or kept the same thickness, so they could add more battery to the phone. If the iPhone can do 11+hrs on a 1434 mAh battery, I would love to see what it could do with a battery like the GS3 or Droid Razr Maxx HD.

• Like 1

Wow. I don't know if I would brag about that. I have an intellectual argument against iOS products, not a physical one.

Robert

No i don't have a physical one either i was defending myself bro it was funny because buddy couldnt beat me in intellect so he tried to use force and failed...kinda like apple haha. They cant beat Samsung on a innovation level so they are tryin force aka court preceecings and lawsuits smh

Sent from my white Epic 4g Touch

The iPhone battery is supposedly on par with the Droid razr maxx with LTE on. According to engadget' date=' the iPhone lasted 11:14mins on their video loop test, while the Evo LTE was 8:50 and the GS3 was 9:02. All respectable times, but the iPhone seems to win the battery contest.

Kinda makes me wish they made the phone wider or kept the same thickness, so they could add more battery to the phone. If the iPhone can do 11+hrs on a 1434 mAh battery, I would love to see what it could do with a battery like the GS3 or Droid Razr Maxx HD.[/quote']

IPhone with 3300 mAh battery and larger screen would make me take a long look...

No mophie juice pack talk josh...

• Like 1

Also...I just want to remind everyone. I am all for spirited and factual debates about iPhone, Android, WP and all. However, let's keep things calm and focus on points. I've heard some really good conversations the past few days that were very rational in discussing real points and limitations of both OS'es and their hardware. And I've seen and partaken in some great debates about it.

However, most of us are above average intelligence wireless enthusiasts. We can deliver well thought out arguments and well explained counter points. Let's keep above the fray.

iPhone users are welcome at S4GRU. We are not an Android forum. We can discuss both, in the context of our mission. I would appreciate if both sides could help me strike the balance at S4GRU. I thank you all in advance.

Robert

Most of us? Who are you leaving out of that category? ;)

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Pre ordered a white 32gb iphone 5 from best buy. When i went to the store at 9:30pm to pick it up, they did not have it. Got a black 64GB one for the price of a 32gb phone. :D .

• Like 1

Pre ordered a white 32gb iphone 5 from best buy. When i went to the store at 9:30pm to pick it up' date=' they did not have it. Got a black 64GB one for the price of a 32gb phone. :D .[/quote']

Not bad... Can't argue with an extra 32GB

Pre ordered a white 32gb iphone 5 from best buy. When i went to the store at 9:30pm to pick it up' date=' they did not have it. Got a black 64GB one for the price of a 32gb phone. :D .[/quote']

That's not a bad deal at all. Did they just offer it up? Or did you have to complain it suggest it yourself?

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but reportedly black = scratch.

AJ

ScuffGate! Apple is a failure, the iPhone sucks, shut it down and give the money back to the shareholders! (I kid, I kid)

I do find it depressing and sad that iPhone fans would go into an Android forum and stir up trouble, it's something I would never think of doing.

As for me personally, I have to have the new devices because I need to test my apps on them. If not for that, I wouldn't even think of standing in line or waking up early to preorder.

That is one benefit from Sprint - they always seem to have more of the iPhones available on launch day though that window of time was shorter (way shorter on the 16 GB) than last year.

Heading out around town now; wish me luck with the LTE fairy. Will she or won't she grant me LTE today?

• Like 3

That's not a bad deal at all. Did they just offer it up? Or did you have to complain it suggest it yourself?

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

I had been in earlier in the day, and complained then when they didn't have the iphone I pre-ordered. The sales associate looked at some schedule and said it was on a shippment that they would be receiving later that day. I made the last appointment for 9:30. That way I would give it every chance to arrive. When I went in at 9:30 and they didn't have it, they just offered up the 64gb model. I had to get approval from my daughter, since I was buying it for her. She had requested the 32db white. She did not want to wait for the phone, so she became smart and took the 64gb model.

• Like 2

I ended up ordering it from Sprint.com. It says I need some 'validation', so I'll be fixing that now. I went to a WalMart (they had some), but I couldn't get one because of my Everything Plus Referral Program Plan. The Sprint Store or the site were my only options. Store was sold out. So... it should be arriving in up to 3 weeks!

• 2 weeks later...

Why does this article suggests that you can only get Sprint version of iPhone 5, implying that the Sprint version is in the least in demand.

http://www.bgr.com/2012/10/01/apple-iphone-5-sales-sprint/#.UGmdy5tGCyM.email

What is curious to me is that while it admits that the hardware for the CDMA versions are identical between Verizon and Sprint, it says that somehow only the "Sprint version" is available at Apple Stores. Is there some form of CDMA lock that precludes Sprint version from being interchangeable with Verizon version? What makes no sense to me is because the two versions share the identical SKU numberr and Apple's whole purpose is to minimize need to stock multiple SKU's by developing common hardware models.

My point being, would there be any other reason that Apple could be directing more iPhone sales, i.e. some pre-determined allocation of loading between the major Big 3 carriers. That doesn't make much sense to me but I am scratching my head in why Apple would suggest different availability for Sprint vs Verizon versions of the same model number iPhone 5.

• Like 1

Why does this article suggests that you can only get Sprint version of iPhone 5, implying that the Sprint version is in the least in demand.

http://www.bgr.com/2...mdy5tGCyM.email

What is curious to me is that while it admits that the hardware for the CDMA versions are identical between Verizon and Sprint, it says that somehow only the "Sprint version" is available at Apple Stores. Is there some form of CDMA lock that precludes Sprint version from being interchangeable with Verizon version? What makes no sense to me is because the two versions share the identical SKU numberr and Apple's whole purpose is to minimize need to stock multiple SKU's by developing common hardware models.

My point being, would there be any other reason that Apple could be directing more iPhone sales, i.e. some pre-determined allocation of loading between the major Big 3 carriers. That doesn't make much sense to me but I am scratching my head in why Apple would suggest different availability for Sprint vs Verizon versions of the same model number iPhone 5.

Even though the Sprint and Verizon iPhone 5 is the same on the inside, they are locked to the particular carrier. I imagine there's branding/marketing materials in the box for each company as well. Maybe those carriers requested the lock so that it's difficult to switch to the other CDMA carrier?

The article is saying that enough people are buying the ATT and Verizon iPhones to be sold out completely, while the Sprint version may be available as fewer are buying that model.

Here is the simple scoop. If the device's ESN is not associated with Sprint, then Sprint will not activate it.

AJ

I imagine there's branding/marketing materials in the box for each company as well.

Just in case you're interested, if the phone is purchased from Apple, there's absolutely no carrier branding or marketing included at all. The first notification that the phone is locked to a specific carrier comes when it's powered on.

• Like 1

there is no carrier branding or marketing in the box you get from the sprint store either. I highly doubt apple will allow any carrier branding to be shipped in or with the phone.

That is the power that apple has over the carriers. That is the power that people give to apple over the carriers.

If android phone makers wised up, (and to a certain extent they have), they would have stopped flooding the market and create a single (or very few) phones every year and concentrated on a single design or set of designs which they maintain over (at a minimum the life of the contract).

HTC has been trying, via the ONE series, and samsung via the galaxy series, but there is still has been too much variety/fragmentation that they lose control over the device.

The Nexus brand is/was supposed to be the unified google exeperience, but even that has been watered down too much and allowed too much carrier control (ie vz/sprint delays of JB etc).

I hope HTC will be making the next Nexus that works on all (or as many as possible like the iphone) networks, but I suspect it will be motorola that actually will eventually roll out a single (or two) world model flagship nexus device.

Edited by dedub

Even though the Sprint and Verizon iPhone 5 is the same on the inside, they are locked to the particular carrier. I imagine there's branding/marketing materials in the box for each company as well. Maybe those carriers requested the lock so that it's difficult to switch to the other CDMA carrier?

The article is saying that enough people are buying the ATT and Verizon iPhones to be sold out completely, while the Sprint version may be available as fewer are buying that model.

Let's assume that each device is ESN-locked which means that Apple is allocating production output among the Big 3 -- thus Sprint's market share is essentially determined by Apple's produciton allocations, as this will force more buyers to buy Sprint iPhones if they cant buy any of the others. So we really wont know how competitive Sprint is and how successful it can be against the other guys since its iPhone market share is somewhat arbitrary and has been pre-determined by Apple.

Maybe more folks being introduced to the Now Network based upon how Apple wants customers to split the volumes. :-)

I doubt any of the devices are locked until the pallet/lot completed and then determined which carrier is next in need.

Apple then sends the ESN's to the carrier to add to their systems, thus locking (or not) to that carrier upon activation.

I doubt any of the devices are locked until the pallet/lot completed and then determined which carrier is next in need.

Apple then sends the ESN's to the carrier to add to their systems, thus locking (or not) to that carrier upon activation.

The iPhones come with a carrier-branded SIM card installed, so I think it's before that stage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1