Qualcomm MDM9615 chip in iPhone 5

Chipset, yes. iPhone 5, no. Chipset capability is but one element of the equation.

AJ

Robert, I know this is probably a dumb question and probably not within the reach of S4gru's sources, but do you know how Clearwire will deploy and schedules?

i.e., Will the be focused on their current WiMax footprint?

We have some Clearwire sources. However, there is not a lot of information out there yet. What we do know is they are going to focus on their existing WiMax sites first, and only on sites where Sprint needs additional capacity (or other future partners). So if you saw a coverage map of Clearwire LTE after the first wave of deployment, it would look like a bunch of LTE islands over their first cities.

The goal for Clearwire is to not build a cohesive network over any one market, but rather sell extra capacity to other carriers who need it at point loaded zones. Clearwire is working with Sprint (and possibly other unnamed partners) to identify which Clearwire sites will need LTE most. These are the ones they are focusing on first. In later phases, they will expand these hotzones to 31 of their existing markets. In possible future unplanned phases, the may move to all 71 of their markets, or even on to Sprint Network Vision sites outside their markets.

In some news today, Clearwire told Kevin Fitchard of GigaOm that they are starting work in two weeks: http://gigaom.com/2012/09/20/clearwire-breaking-ground-on-new-lte-network/

Robert

• Like 1

New phones, same with 800MHz LTE

I don't see how this is a problem. Most of us won't see LTE until next year. The only item I was concerned about was access or availability to 800 1x. Most of the problems I have here in NM is the distance of a tower. Now it just depends if it is 800 1x is coming to NM.

I don't see how this is a problem. Most of us won't see LTE until next year. The only item I was concerned about was access or availability to 800 1x. Most of the problems I have here in NM is the distance of a tower. Now it just depends if it is 800 1x is coming to NM.

We most likely will get CDMA 800 (1x) with our initial deployment. It's possible that we may be late enough in the NV deployment to get LTE 800 also. But that's a stretch.

I get good Sprint coverage between ABQ/Santa Fe and Espanola/Los Alamos (where I spend 75% of my time), especially since moving to the GS3, which is a solid radio performer. However, 800 will really be appreciated at the times I spend on I-40, where site spacing exceeds 1900.

I have not been south of Los Lunas on Sprint before. But I hear it can be patchy heading to Cruces. In fact, I'm just about to head out to ABQ for the day now.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

We most likely will get CDMA 800 (1x) with our initial deployment. It's possible that we may be late enough in the NV deployment to get LTE 800 also. But that's a stretch.

I get good Sprint coverage between ABQ/Santa Fe and Espanola/Los Alamos (where I spend 75% of my time), especially since moving to the GS3, which is a solid radio performer. However, 800 will really be appreciated at the times I spend on I-40, where site spacing exceeds 1900.

I have not been south of Los Lunas on Sprint before. But I hear it can be patchy heading to Cruces. In fact, I'm just about to head out to ABQ for the day now.

I love how you look on the bright side of things and say that NM will be late enough in NV deployment to get 800 LTE. Thanks for reminding of the very patient wait I will be doing.

• Like 1

I love how you look on the bright side of things and say that NM will be late enough in NV deployment to get 800 LTE. Thanks for reminding of the very patient wait I will be doing.

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

*whistling*

The goal for Clearwire is to not build a cohesive network over any one market, but rather sell extra capacity to other carriers who need it at point loaded zones. Clearwire is working with Sprint (and possibly other unnamed partners) to identify which Clearwire sites will need LTE most. These are the ones they are focusing on first. In later phases, they will expand these hotzones to 31 of their existing markets. In possible future unplanned phases, the may move to all 71 of their markets, or even on to Sprint Network Vision sites outside their markets.

Do you think they will also deploy LTE for Leap (Cricket) hot zones or is the initial deployment all about Sprint?

Do you think they will also deploy LTE for Leap (Cricket) hot zones or is the initial deployment all about Sprint?

It's quite possible. However, I only know about coordination with Sprint. But this does not seem out of line. However, if one of you Clearwire folks (and you know who you are) have any information about this and wanted to PM me, I'd be happy to know.

Robert