Sprint CEO Dan Hesse says that Sprint may raise prices when LTE footprint gets competitive

Yeah I would bet we would see alot more variety in full retail prices too, instead of the typical standard suggested retail price. There would be phones retailing every price segment from 200 to 1000.

Keep in mind those "$800 devices" sold for $200 are really more like $300 devices propped up to be "$800 devices." But the carriers and especially the device manufacturers are laughing all the way to the bank with the current contract-subsidy model. If it were to go away, then devices would be sold at retail with much smaller profit margins.

AJ

Oh yes. The devices would be cheaper overall, but would tend to scare away consumers (in my opinion).

One of my favorite moments goes like this:

Sprint gets the Galaxy Nexus. MSRP is $549.99.

Sprint and Asurion raise TEP prices on all new phones with MSRP $549.99 and up to $11/month from $8, insurance claim deductible to $150 from $100.

I ask one of my supervisors, "How come the Galaxy Nexus is $549.99 on Sprint, along with raised insurance prices... yet I can go to the Play Store and buy an Unlocked GSM one for $399.99 right now? Surely making it CDMA doesn't cost $150."

She replied, "That... is... a very interesting question. I'll have to ask the Asurion reps and get back to you."

She never got back to me.

I would have liked to have seen Sprint offer SDC for free as well for people with unlimited plans. I was going to try out the new Android app, but saw that it is $5 a month. I wonder how much it costs them monthly to run that service. I think more people might stay if that wasn't an extra $5 per device per month.

Also doesn't seem compatible with my phone for some reason.

Oh yes. The devices would be cheaper overall' date=' but would tend to scare away consumers (in my opinion).

One of my favorite moments goes like this:

Sprint gets the Galaxy Nexus. MSRP is 549.99.

Sprint and Asurion raise TEP prices on all new phones with MSRP 549.99 and up to 11/month from 8, insurance claim deductible to 150 from 100.

I ask one of my supervisors, "How come the Galaxy Nexus is 549.99 on Sprint, along with raised insurance prices... yet I can go to the Play Store and buy an Unlocked GSM one for 399.99 right now? Surely making it CDMA doesn't cost 150."

She replied, "That... is... a very interesting question. I'll have to ask the Asurion reps and get back to you."

She never got back to me.[/quote']

Sprint has the 32gb model and the unlocked GSM one is 16GB...

Sprint is a third party seller, whereas Google is selling the unlocked ones direct (and charging shipping)

Sprint is LTE, unlocked is HSPA+ only

Just a few reasons it might be more expensive. Or maybe they are just being jerks...

• Like 1

Heck.. where I live I probably won't have LTE till the end of 2013. Seriously considering porting my number to Straight Talk with the Next Nexus that is released. I refuse to go to Verizon or ATT (which both have LTE here now). At least I'd have HSPA+. Really rooting for Sprint but getting tired of these abysmal data speeds. My Galaxy S3 is a beast of a phone but absolutely crippled by sprints network right now.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I am a SERO user with two lines, I'm not sure if SERO makes money or not but I assume it's not a loss either. The SERO thing is interesting though because I have always believed that there isn't enough of those customers to move the needle one way or another and likely not concentrated in a single area to affect network usage. If Sprint has 40M customers how many are SERO less than 1 percent

My non-SERO family plan with 25% discount for 2 phones was around $170... $54 per month is a huge difference when it comes to profit margins.

How does your plan come to that amount?

On a two line family plan, Everything Data Share 1500, with the 25% discount (off part of the first line), it is $122.49 before fees, taxes, pretend taxes.

The difference is $22.49, not huge. To be honest, T-Mobile will take up the Sprint drop offs if they raise their prices.

I have the SEROP-500 plans, not anything higher, most of my minutes are considered mobile to mobile, even though I know I call home/businesses, strange how they calculate minutes.

How does your plan come to that amount?

On a two line family plan, Everything Data Share 1500, with the 25% discount (off part of the first line), it is $122.49 before fees, taxes, pretend taxes.

The difference is $22.49, not huge. To be honest, T-Mobile will take up the Sprint drop offs if they raise their prices.

I have the SEROP-500 plans, not anything higher, most of my minutes are considered mobile to mobile, even though I know I call home/businesses, strange how they calculate minutes.

I don't know what the plan breakdown was, I cancelled back in February.

i kind of figured they would.. i mean, how else would they make up for the million (if not bilions) of dollars they are pouring into the LTE network upgrades..

i wouldn't mind paying say 10 bucks more a month if we were allowed hotspot usage (say 5gb a month).. seriously, it's 2012 and data should be dirt cheap.. if i were CEO i'd include 2GB of free data hotspot on everything plans and $10 extra for 5-6GB of data. i would probably do something crazy like $1/GB. i can only imagine what an advangte sprint would have over the other carriers if they steped up the game weren't so greedy like the other carriers when it comes to data.

i wouldn't mind paying say 10 bucks more a month if we were allowed hotspot usage (say 5gb a month).. seriously, it's 2012 and data should be dirt cheap.. if i were CEO i'd include 2GB of free data hotspot on everything plans and $10 extra for 5-6GB of data. i would probably do something crazy like $1/GB. i can only imagine what an advangte sprint would have over the other carriers if they steped up the game weren't so greedy like the other carriers when it comes to data.

Well, considering Sprint's current data overage charges are around $50/GB, I'd say that would be a vast improvement. You really don't want to go over on a hotspot on Sprint.