Report Shentel LTE Sightings Here

I think what i picked up in lower Winchester/Kernstown may have been coming from Stevens City as I only connected when I was facing towards Stevens City. I couldn't pick up a lte signal on I81 between Winchester and Stevens City.

Gotcha....I'm on the Moto Photon Q so we'll see what I pick up if anything. I was just looking at the map a few minutes ago and figured that area between SC & Winchester and the area near Hagerstown would be the most likely places I pick anything up unless I hit something new before SC in VA or after I cross the VA line, until I reach Harrisburg.

Gotcha....I'm on the Moto Photon Q so we'll see what I pick up if anything. I was just looking at the map a few minutes ago and figured that area between SC & Winchester and the area near Hagerstown would be the most likely places I pick anything up unless I hit something new before SC in VA or after I cross the VA line, until I reach Harrisburg.

The radio has been acting up in my phone and completely locking up until I restart it so you may have better luck than me picking it up along I81.

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see what happens....I've read all this stuff about Moto phones having superior radios, this should be a decent test of that thought process.

I'm also going to be curious to see if there are any differences in signal issues at all on 81 both from I-40 till getting close to the Tri Cities area as well as the southernmost leg of 81 in VA once you leave the Bristol area....on my Epic I've always had alot of 1x flipping between Sprint and Verizon through those areas.

There is now a minor blip of LTE between Purcellville and Berryville on Route 7 in VA, right on the border between Shentel territory and Sprint native territory. It's right on the river. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that this is also a Shentel tower that's broadcasting LTE.

• Like 1

There is now a minor blip of LTE between Purcellville and Berryville on Route 7 in VA' date=' right on the border between Shentel territory and Sprint native territory. It's right on the river. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that this is also a Shentel tower that's broadcasting LTE.[/quote']

Wow, that is minor. It was very hard to see because the purple was so slight. I had trouble finding even when looking for it. Good eyes!

Robert via Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

I have been doing this around Hagerstown, Md and a cell site just N.E. of there. Take a look on Sensorly at what just one person can do.

Your not the only one around here mapping via Sensorly, I have been ever since Robert mentioned it to me.

Now I hope Shentel fills in the gaps in the coverage around here in the not too distant future.

Also, a new one appeared on Sensorly in Starsburg, VA today: http://sensorly.com/...asburg,virginia

Robert

To start off with: you're welcome *g*

Per my previous posts, I drove up to the Harrisburg area today and did as much mapping as possible along I-81. That first separate blip you see on Sensorly is the first time I was able to pick up LTE. I made some general notes, and also note that I was almost constantly toggling airplane mode whenever I'd get kicked back off 4g (and also to randomly check for its appearance) because often LTE would become just weak enough for 3g to overtake it. Here's the mile marker breakdown of what I observed (and of course this is all northbound):

VA M296-303 - able to pick up signal in this range, but not consistently without toggling to grab it back

VA MM312 - WV MM18: Inconsistent except for the ranges of VA MM321 - 1/2 mile into WV, WV MM4.5-8, & WV MM12-16.

Maryland: I had consistent LTE, ironically, from maybe a quarter mile at best past the WV/MD state line all the way to the PA state line.

Where I'm spending the weekend is primarily in the Elizabethtown suburb of Harrisburg, and normally I'll take the I-76 turnpike over to I-283/SR-283, but given where reports of LTE were in H-burg, I took the full I-81->I-83->I-283->SR283 route today to continue checking/testing. Unfortunately, outside of two very brief blips of a 4G icon which almost immediately reverted to 3G (one maybe ~2 miles before the H-burg Expressway/581, the other right where I-83/I-283/Hwy 322 converge) , I was unable to find any other indication of LTE on my route in up here. If I end up doing any driving into/around H-burg over the weekend I'll report back, and I'll also take I-76 going back home Monday to check for anything along that route.

• Like 1

I can verify that Shentel has activated more LTE around Hagerstown, Md. I have not had the ability to prove it, but I am almost positive that we have two new sites along I-81 which covers almost all of I-81 as it goes through Maryland. I can verify LTE at the Maryland Border with West Virginia. It drops on the Potomac River Bridge between Maryland & West Virgina. But going North through Maryland around Hagerstown, I can hold the signal until I pass the Hagerstown Airport just north of Hagerstown.

This is about a total of 11 miles. Too far for one site. Almost has to be two or more.

I have tried to locate just what sites are active, but a general lack of time and and the hazard of driving around in traffic while watching signal strength on a screen while being blinded by the sun just does not turn me on. Also, I ditched a HTC EVO LTE because it would not latch onto a LTE signal when it should, but the Galaxy S III is also getting on my nerves too as it will allow me to drive up to a cell site and sit there while not showing any LTE. But drive away, and you get LTE popping up. This makes it very had to prove if a site is active or not.

I am fairly positive we have 3 sites active in Hagerstown and while Sensory will take a while to show it, I think we are getting fairly good coverage in quite a large area of the city at least on the street. It will take the activation of a few more sites to cover the city properly, but Shentel is really putting a dent in Hagerstown., I am sure inside building coverage is still not acceptable in many places, but I have been in some buildings that did have LTE coverage.

One thing for sure, The Sensorly map for Hagerstown is turning purple and there is more coverage there than shown. I just can not drive down every street and nobody else can either, but I do take some alternate routes sometimes to help fill the map.

• Like 2

Your not the only one around here mapping via Sensorly, I have been ever since Robert mentioned it to me.

Now I hope Shentel fills in the gaps in the coverage around here in the not too distant future.

Welcome to the club Warlab. I knew somebody else did place some info on Sensorly, but most of the mapping had been mine.

Today, I had to run from Greencastle, Pa to West Virginia, so I covered I-81 going both ways. I also had to visit Lowes at Valley Mall and Home Depot, so both of the major shopping centers now show LTE coverage. Please turn Sensorly on when you are out traveling around and when possible, take an alternate route other than what you may normally take.

I can verify that Shentel has activated more LTE around Hagerstown, Md. I have not had the ability to prove it, but I am almost positive that we have two new sites along I-81 which covers almost all of I-81 as it goes through Maryland. I can verify LTE at the Maryland Border with West Virginia. It drops on the Potomac River Bridge between Maryland & West Virgina. But going North through Maryland around Hagerstown, I can hold the signal until I pass the Hagerstown Airport just north of Hagerstown.

This is about a total of 11 miles. Too far for one site. Almost has to be two or more.

Yep, on the Moto Photon Q I was able to hold a solid non-stop LTE signal from just a little past the WV/MD state line all the way to the PA state line before it dropped finally, was somewhere between 2-2:30ish EST earlier this afternoon. Was the longest and most consistent LTE I encountered on I-81. Seemed kind of funny that it dropped and couldn't pick it back up at all just as soon as I crossed the state line.

One other thing I wanted to state just from my own observation since today was my first 'taste' of Sprint LTE, but the greatest thing about it is that even compared to fairly good 3G connectivity in non-NV areas, I was *extremely* pleased at how quickly the data connections for things would actually initiate. I had my radio app streaming a station from back home much of the afternoon, and usually even on very good legacy 3G, there's almost always a certain amount of 'startup latency' so to speak. Every time I was connected via LTE, my stream would kick back literally in about 1 (or barely over) second after I'd see the 4G symbol display. Very impressive experience.

• Like 1

Yep, on the Moto Photon Q I was able to hold a solid non-stop LTE signal from just a little past the WV/MD state line all the way to the PA state line before it dropped finally, was somewhere between 2-2:30ish EST earlier this afternoon. Was the longest and most consistent LTE I encountered on I-81. Seemed kind of funny that it dropped and couldn't pick it back up at all just as soon as I crossed the state line.

There is a cell site in Pennsylvania very close to the Maryland border. When they activate LTE on that one, the coverage will continue to Greencastle, Pa. It will happen. Takes some time to do them all. Shentel is responsible for I-81 in Pennsylvania too.

• Like 1

@PythonFanTN Nice work along I81. I would have mapped a lot more today but Sensorly decided it was going to use half my battery in 30 minutes then once I finally got off work and could charge my phone, it decided to not map anything while using the map trip. The good news is I was able to keep my LTE throughout most of Winchester today. I'll try to ride around tomorrow to see what I can find.

I'm hoping they upgrade the tower on the George Washington Hotel's roof by the time I do my next fire inspection so I can get some good pictures of the equipment

• Like 1

Quick report on my trip back...

Basically, most everything I experienced on the way up on I-81 was almost exactly the same in terms of the mile marker ranges I posted previously. I-81 through Maryland was again solid/no signal switch once locked on from state line to state line and by far the most consistent. However, I can report that I did hit a new pocket of LTE a little north of Harrisonburg, VA. I just checked the Sensorly map but thus far its not showing up where my perpetual mapping took place, but the range was roughly from I-81 VA MM263-MM256.

Was on a phone call till about halfway down the I-76 turnpike and wasn't able to check the first half, but from halfway from the 283 interchange to the Carlisle exit I got off on I wasn't able to pick up anything other than 3G.

I am right on the walking mall in one of the apts and have no 4G inside, even if I hold the phone next to the window. BUTT I had 4G outside on cameron st, and all around the mall area. got 17mbps download and 8mbps upload!!!

It looks like this one is next. This is along I81 at exit 307. There was no markings that I could see on them.

Makes sense, I couldn't get any LTE signal at all on the way up or back between I-81 MM 303 and 312 in VA.

sure they werent just fixing the sign?

It's a tower(can't think of the proper term right now). It was up yesterday, I look at it every time i get off at that exit. I noticed the lift there yesterday while eating lunch at Taco Bell.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n4v4ww9oa5r4gjg/2012-10-16%2010.25.10-13.jpg

Edited by bakedc4
  • Like 1

It looks like this one is next. This is along I81 at exit 307. There was no markings that I could see on them.

That's one awesome stealth site. Never seen one like that before. You can see the RRU's mounted below the sign and the panels on both sides. Neato.

• Like 1

That's one awesome stealth site. Never seen one like that before. You can see the RRU's mounted below the sign and the panels on both sides. Neato.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n4v4ww9oa5r4gjg/2012-10-16%2010.25.10-13.jpg is the full version of the picture

• Like 3