Chicago and Boston LTE discoverable on Sept 21

Rasta Cheesehead

How do you know which towers have been upgraded to support LTE.

Look at the "close up pictures of panels and RRUs" thread, and if you see similar stuff on a tower near you, it may be upgraded already . Or the EASY way is to become a sponsor and look at the completed sites map :)

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1195-information-about-s4gru-sponsorship-levels-and-how-to-become-a-sponsor/

Chicagoland update. The 4G LTE bubble on coverage.sprint.com is very accurate. I drove on Lake-Cook Rd and then NW on 12. to Lake Barrington. 4G signal is solid and consistent. When leaving this "bubble" only 3G is available. So this coverage map is very accurate. In fact, the small area on highway 14 in Palatine worked and then went to 3G after leaving this area.

How do you post images here?

screenshot2012092412514.png%20%20Uploaded%20with%20ImageShack.us"]http://screenshot2012092412514.png Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/url]

Edited by abepilot

Chicagoland update. The 4G LTE bubble on coverage.sprint.com is very accurate. I drove on Lake-Cook Rd and then NW on 12. to Lake Barrington. 4G signal is solid and consistent. When leaving this "bubble" only 3G is available. So this coverage map is very accurate. In fact, the small area on highway 14 in Palatine worked and then went to 3G after leaving this area.

How do you post images here?

Edited by dhunt4949

I was in Batavia, IL yesterday for a 5k and there was plenty of LTE. My fastest speedtest was achieved at the Costco parking lot in St. Charles.

screenshot2012092409332.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Did you map out your 5k run with sensorly for all us coverage nerds?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Just got LTE at 167th & I-355. Full 5 bars 16.3 mb down 18mb up. Thank you Sprint!

With a 16Mbps speed, you probably had less than full bars. Probably more like 4 out of 5. But your signal strength indicator never shows LTE signal strength even when the 4G icon is shown. We have written about it here: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2040-bars-lie-for-lte-signal-strength-how-to-determine-your-actual-lte-signal-strength/

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 1

With a 16Mbps speed, you probably had less than full bars. Probably more like 4 out of 5. But your signal strength indicator never shows LTE signal strength even when the 4G icon is shown. We have written about it here: http://s4gru.com/ind...ignal-strength/

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

You can make your signal strength indicator show LTE by putting your phone into forced LTE only mode. Yeah, you wont be able to make calls or texts, but if you really want to see some bars this is a good way of doing it.

You can make your signal strength indicator show LTE by putting your phone into forced LTE only mode. Yeah, you wont be able to make calls or texts, but if you really want to see some bars this is a good way of doing it.

I've done that on my EVO 4G LTE and it just displayed no bars, period.

I've done that on my EVO 4G LTE and it just displayed no bars, period.

Thats odd, my GS3 actually shows bars with it turned on.

Nothing odd, really, because there is no standard whatsoever. Handset OEMs, carriers and even custom ROM developers are free to display whatever "bars" they want, based on whatever metrics and intervals they want.

Bars = BS.

Nothing odd, really, because there is no standard whatsoever. Handset OEMs, carriers and even custom ROM developers are free to display whatever "bars" they want, based on whatever metrics and intervals they want.

Bars = BS.

yup always a nice feature of custom roms to have the bars tweaked to display ACTUALLY signal reception as opposed to carrier lies haha

~ TF101 on Revolver4.2.1

Currently OC'ed to 1.4, with Guevor's v22.6

Hi! first post here! Got the iPhone 5 the 21st. Exchanged it last Wednesday for the SGS3 cuz the iPhone was having a terrible time staying connected to LTE and holding a signal all together. the S3 hangs onto LTE MUCH better then the iPhone did.

Here's some speeds I saw on the iPhone and then a shot of the S3.

First photo is right near a tower, second is in my bedroom and the third was taken while driving out of my neighborhood

photo-1.PNG photo-2.PNG Screenshot_2012-09-30-12-35-38.png

Edited by gusherb