Network Vision on 1x Only Towers

I'm asking why did Sprint leave out a large portion of towers without 3G when upgrading 3G initially in 2006 (not sure about date)? As in why did Sprint not install 3G on every tower before the though of Network Vision and smartphones?

Sprint did overlay EV-DO across its corporate footprint. Any significant areas missing EV-DO are/were Sprint affiliate markets.

AJ

Sprint did overlay EV-DO across its corporate footprint. Any significant areas missing EV-DO are/were Sprint affiliate markets.

AJ

Really? I know large portions of the I80 corridor in PA are 1xRTT only. Large swaths of western and northern PA are, which former affiliate owned these?

Really? I know large portions of the I80 corridor in PA are 1xRTT only. Large swaths of western and northern PA are, which former affiliate owned these?

In that area, off the top of my head, two affiliates come to mind: Shentel and Horizon PCS. The latter was acquired by iPCS, which had the reputation as one of the most backward, incorrigible Sprint affiliates. If litigation is any indication, iPCS was furious with Sprint over the Nextel acquisition, and iPCS dragged its heels on EV-DO overlay in many of its markets, including larger markets Grand Rapids, etc.

AJ

and iPCS dragged its heels on EV-DO overlay in many of its markets, including larger markets Grand Rapids, etc.

AJ

Wait, you mean to say that a large part of the West Michigan market was previously run by an affiliate who were slow at upgrading hardware, and hated Sprint proper?

This explains so much. From the odd service in some places for one... to Nextel subscribers not initially believing that iDEN was actually being shut down. "Nahhh they've tried to shut down Nextel like five times now, it's never gonna happen!" is what I heard at least once a week for a while.

This explains so much. From the odd service in some places for one... to Nextel subscribers not initially believing that iDEN was actually being shut down. "Nahhh they've tried to shut down Nextel like five times now, it's never gonna happen!" is what I heard at least once a week for a while.

Boy, are they gonna be surprised next Summer.

Robert via ICS Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Boy, are they gonna be surprised next Summer.

Robert via ICS Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Nah, there are actually very few holdouts on iDEN around here, if what I've heard is correct. Many have transitioned to smartphones, but the most vocal are those who have moved to the Dura line (thanks to Sprint offering additional subsidies on them), and have been disappointed with Sprint's in-building coverage (vs Nextel). I have a feeling any amount of Network Vision will solve their problems (and 800 ESMR will wipe them out), but some people will never be happy. Because they have to use a DuraMax for 2 years.

But there are a few who refuse to let go. I know a fellow rather well who has told multiple people that he will NOT upgrade to a CDMA Sprint phone, and if Nextel is ever shut down, he's going to buy a walkie-talkie and lose his phone number.

Nah, there are actually very few holdouts on iDEN around here, if what I've heard is correct. Many have transitioned to smartphones, but the most vocal are those who have moved to the Dura line (thanks to Sprint offering additional subsidies on them), and have been disappointed with Sprint's in-building coverage (vs Nextel). I have a feeling any amount of Network Vision will solve their problems (and 800 ESMR will wipe them out), but some people will never be happy. Because they have to use a DuraMax for 2 years.

But there are a few who refuse to let go. I know a fellow rather well who has told multiple people that he will NOT upgrade to a CDMA Sprint phone, and if Nextel is ever shut down, he's going to buy a walkie-talkie and lose his phone number.

Thankfully Kalamazoo and St. Joseph (where I live) counties weren't part of this arrangement and were corporate markets so coverage is great, however most of Northern Indiana was part of iPCS too. To this day in many areas there is still not any 3G and most importantly significant holes in even 1X coverage. In Lagrange county Indiana there is basically no point in trying to use your phone, not to mention the issues with cell site handoffs back to the legacy corporate market. Ask me how I know. Hopefully things will get better with the 800 SMR coverage, but I won't hold my breath until I see it in action.

In that area, off the top of my head, two affiliates come to mind: Shentel and Horizon PCS. The latter was acquired by iPCS, which had the reputation as one of the most backward, incorrigible Sprint affiliates. If litigation is any indication, iPCS was furious with Sprint over the Nextel acquisition, and iPCS dragged its heels on EV-DO overlay in many of its markets, including larger markets Grand Rapids, etc.

AJ

I was under the impression that iPCS was bought out by Sprint. So will Sprint upgrade the previous iPCS towers to Network Vision, or will they remain 1x only?

I was under the impression that iPCS was bought out by Sprint. So will Sprint upgrade the previous iPCS towers to Network Vision' date=' or will they remain 1x only?[/quote']

As Robert has said all of Sprints towers are getting Network Vision.

• Like 1

I was under the impression that iPCS was bought out by Sprint. So will Sprint upgrade the previous iPCS towers to Network Vision' date=' or will they remain 1x only?[/quote']

Yes, they will be upgraded. No more Horizon or iPCS. All native Sprint sites will be converted to NV/LTE. Only two Sprint affiliates left. Shentel and Swiftel. Shentel has agreed to NV upgrades. Swiftel is the only one left to commit. But they are in Eastern South Dakota. Very small footprint.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

Is there a link somewhere to the 100 sites that can't get backhaul to do the upgrade? I'd like to make sure there aren't any central Alabama areas on the list, as it would likely affect me.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

http://s4gru.com/ind...e-lte-upgrades/ (only works for sponsors)

your clear

I live right next to the DSLAM hut that gives my area DSL internet, plus AT&T has a cell tower one mile from me, so I know there are two 24 pair fiber lines feeding this hut, but it's not a Sprint area. Would be great if it was, but I think my tower is going to be on Merkel mountain in Sylacauga, that's probably the closest to me unless someone knows another. This particular tower is 3g so will be upgraded, can't wait either.

Is there a link somewhere to the 100 sites that can't get backhaul to do the upgrade? I'd like to make sure there aren't any central Alabama areas on the list, as it would likely affect me.

The approximate 100 sites are in places that cannot be upgraded. They are sites where the site owner will not allow it, the site Owner couldn't come to reasonable terms on the site lease negotation changes, or the site doesn't have a structure that can physically support the upgrades, or the site is planned to be decommissioned and replaced with a new site in the near vicinity, or the site cannot get backhaul fast enough to support LTE (most common in very remote Western U.S. locations).

This is a pretty rare thing, on average there is only one site per market that will not get Network Vision/LTE upgrades. One site. So, if Alabama is like most markets, on average, there is likely only one site in the market that will not get upgraded.

With those kind of odds, I wouldn't get worked up about it. Especially since a good chunk of those that will not get upgrades are likely to be replaced with a new site nearby.

Robert

I live right next to the DSLAM hut that gives my area DSL internet, plus AT&T has a cell tower one mile from me, so I know there are two 24 pair fiber lines feeding this hut, but it's not a Sprint area. Would be great if it was, but I think my tower is going to be on Merkel mountain in Sylacauga, that's probably the closest to me unless someone knows another. This particular tower is 3g so will be upgraded, can't wait either. Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

A new site was added in Sylacauga this week. I received notification of it in this week's Network Vision updates.

Robert

Any chance you could give me some juicy details on it, like coordinate and details on it?

It doesnt give a location. It just says Sylacauga, AL (Site ID #BI81XC002). And it appears to have Network Vision upgrades. At least 3G upgrades. If you watch the network.sprint.com website, it will likely appear on there in the next few weeks: https://network.sprint.com/search/sylacauga%2C+al/

Let us know if you find it, and how it performs. If it does actually include Network Vision panels/upgrades, it will be the first new site in a Non Network Vision deployment market that was deployed with NV from the beginning.

Robert

I'll ask around, does this mean the site is brought online and active or just being built / in the works? I assume by what you said that its been constructed, and already up and transmitting or its testing and will transmit within a few days. Maybe I should switch from CDMA to CDMA/LTE/EVDO on my GS3. I had the 4G turned off since the day I bought it...

Robert, the map you posted of Sylacauga....if you noticed the Merkel Field almost in the center, where I live would be a couple inches above those letters. (well, above, slightly left). So if they did something on the eastern side of that city, I probably won't notice anything at all where I am. I know the tower that's listed on Hwy 280 (just before county road 102) is the one I mentioned being on Merkel Moutain, and it's a 3G Sprint tower. Always have great service right there around it..but if you come to my house (about 6 miles away from that tower in a straight line) you barely get anything. Hence why I got the AIrave...now I have no clue what's around here because the Airave is always on. I do know verizon arranged a roaming agreement with AT&T for the AT&T tower I said was 1 mile from my driveway..because one day I had to take my DSL down for a few, and I noticed my cell phone had full strength, but roaming full strength. I can't be too sure where there's a Nextel tower here, but I know there used to be one in this area, I want to say in Coosa county around Weogufka but I can't be absolutely positive on that. I just know at ONE time Nextel worked great here, but since I think they have decommisioned that particular tower.

...Sylacauga...

...Coosa...

...Weogufka...

Can we stay focused on the US, please? Sprint is not an international carrier.

;)

AJ

• Like 1

Dang, after reading this thread and a little bit of research on SouthernLinc, it would seem that they would have to either become a Sprint Partner and pool their SMR with Sprints PCS/BRS to get a current network or they would have to build out a brand new network on their SMR spectrum. Pooling with Sprint would seem like a better option because they would get access to not only PCS and BRS spectrum long term, but would be able to follow a working upgrade plan. They wouldn't need to do all the R&D of a new network, just jump on board with one of the Sprint OEMs and get to upgrading.

Its very interesting that they list their roaming agreement to expire on 6/31/2013, when Sprint finally turns off iDen. http://www.southernlinc.com/coverage.aspx

If SouthernLinc decided to do its own network in the SMR spectrum, then they'd be limited just like Sprint to a single 5x5 LTE/A carrier and a CDMA 1xA voice carrier or they could do a 2nd LTE carrier for VoLTE at 1.4x1.4.

They could then use a PTT app on their phones in the SMR spectrum to achieve what they have now. Not sure what they'd do with non-Smart phones. It would open up use of all Sprint based smart phones if SL were to partner with Sprint, if they build out the SMR spectrum similar to Sprint, then they could use the next generation of Sprint phones (that support SMR LTE)

I think they'll merge, but just as it is now, SouthernLinc can't two-way with Nextel customers and vice-versa. I know they use(d) the same tech for quite a while simultaneously, but you couldn't crosstalk with southernlinc+nextel customers. Phone set-ups are the same though, I looked at my wife's SoLinc and it has the same 3-digit number for PTT separated by *s.

My point was that with the amount of money that Southern Comp throws around, they have no qualms about building their own, but would likely go in with Sprint as they've done previously. But they will keep their current two-way options and try to port the current customer-base over to the newer tech if this is the case..they won't just shut-down their iDEN and not have the PTT phones...simply put, they'd have close to 26,000 people without a way to communicate. During storms (which are rampant in the southeast), they are lifelines for Southern Comp and there's not a plant in Southern Company that doesn't have those mini-towers mounted on the smokestack for it to provide it's employees with service inside the plant premises...but for them to just ditch it and go with a 2-way radio standalone ....it's just not how they would operate.

I mentioned them buying everything that there is that could possibly cause them any downtime...for example, they bought the train company and coal mines so they could regulate their own supply of coal. They own everything that supplies them (and currently they are doing away with even contractor-based workers and going solely with so-comp employees only for things they used to contract out)...

Considering they bought trains and railway rights, and coal mines...something as minor as communications would be nothing for them to buy. Wife's plant just went with VOIP solution instead of AT&T's hardlined copper phone...boy was AT&T mad!! million-dollar contracts with APCO just went up in smoke because AT&T is letting the home broadband and copper side go to hell quickly, and too worried about pouring money into the cell side...

I foresee AT&T residential having some major problems before long with being outdated. Done decided if we get 4G here before AT&T offers us U-Verse, we'll drop AT&T all together and go with a tethering plan on Sprint 4G for all our data, home and away.

My bet on SoLinc: they'll "pull a Shentel" in the near-ish future. They'll maybe do some MVNO for employees and long-term SoLinc customers, and the combination of their and Sprint's SMR will allow for a single 1x channel plus 5x5 LTE across the Southeast. It's pretty easy to do PTT over LTE with similar response times to iDEN, and having a high-speed network with good coverage owuld allow them to do other things, maybe involving Smart Meters or something similar. Instead of having noisy 900MHz 1W transmitters everywhere for smart metering, they could just use an 800/1900 1xA modem.

If SouthernLinc decided to do its own network in the SMR spectrum, then they'd be limited just like Sprint to a single 5x5 LTE/A carrier and a CDMA 1xA voice carrier or they could do a 2nd LTE carrier for VoLTE at 1.4x1.4.

Actually, SouthernLINC is quite a bit more spectrum constrained than that. For example, in the Atlanta BEA, which is by far SouthernLINC's largest market, its rebanded SMR 800 MHz spectrum is contiguous but limited to 3.75 MHz x 3.75 MHz. In some of its smaller markets, SouthernLINC does retain up to 4.5 MHz x 4.5 MHz, but what SouthernLINC can do in Atlanta will almost certainly dictate what it does in all markets.

So, despite any oddly placed admiration for the Southern Company in this thread, SouthernLINC is in a bit of a pickle. It cannot stick with iDEN long term. Roaming agreements are expiring as Sprint shifts entirely to CDMA2000 and LTE and Nextel International reportedly intends to transition to W-CDMA. Furthermore, iDEN has effectively reached its end of life, such that even maintenance will become a challenge; thus, SouthernLINC cannot simply stay the course with iDEN for its somewhat backwards, simplistic internal/external communications service.

On the flip side, SouthernLINC really has relatively little spectrum for a transition to CDMA2000 and LTE or even LTE alone. Such a transition would likely require dual or even tri mode iDEN/CDMA2000/LTE handsets or a flash cut with overnight replacement of devices. Good luck with either one of those approaches.

In the end, SouthernLINC is a bit of an annoyance to Sprint in the Southeast region. But SouthernLINC may need a spectrum sharing agreement more than Sprint does.

AJ

• Like 5