Network Vision/LTE - Milwaukee Market (including Madison)

sajanisch

I suspect Sprint may have more luck with small cells over plugging into the DAS. That would give them more speed at a lower cost.

Nokia advises a mixed pico cell + Das deployment to maximise network capacity and coverage.

Pico cells to give maximum available capacity in constrained and high traffic areas while a DAS will provide a basic layer of coverage.

Sent from my Nexus 5

After going down to the Chicago market for a meeting with Sprint today I'm excited for Milwaukee to add some speed allover the market including all the surrounding little cities.

A coworker of mine got a speed test of 130 mbps down today on his G3 while my IP6 managed "only" 35 mbps down.

I'm pretty content with the performance of my home tower which gives me faster/better performance than my wifi, I'd just like to see these kinds of speeds more widespread. I have plans to order a new Moto X and see how that helps my network experience since the iPhone seems to like to sit on 3g until I toggle airplane mode somewhat regularly.  :td:

After going down to the Chicago market for a meeting with Sprint today I'm excited for Milwaukee to add some speed allover the market including all the surrounding little cities.

A coworker of mine got a speed test of 130 mbps down today on his G3 while my IP6 managed "only" 35 mbps down.

I'm pretty content with the performance of my home tower which gives me faster/better performance than my wifi, I'd just like to see these kinds of speeds more widespread. I have plans to order a new Moto X and see how that helps my network experience since the iPhone seems to like to sit on 3g until I toggle airplane mode somewhat regularly. :td:

Good to hear I will be in Chicago this weekend, I am excited to see a market sprint advertises at one of their best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to hear I will be in Chicago this weekend, I am excited to see a market sprint advertises at one of their best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Disclaimer. I was in buffalo grove when that happened. Not actual Chicago proper. YMMV down in the actual city. But I think overall you should be pretty pleased.
  • Like 1

mmark27 or other Madisonians, have you noticed the new tower going up by Culvers at Fish Hatch and the Beltline? I believe it is Sprint equipment (I'll take pictures later to confirm), but I'm not sure what the purpose of putting up a whole new tower would be, considering it is within a couple hundred yards of an existing tower with a Sprint presence. 

Any ideas?

mmark27 or other Madisonians, have you noticed the new tower going up by Culvers at Fish Hatch and the Beltline? I believe it is Sprint equipment (I'll take pictures later to confirm), but I'm not sure what the purpose of putting up a whole new tower would be, considering it is within a couple hundred yards of an existing tower with a Sprint presence. 

Any ideas?

Yes, I saw that, but I do not think that it is Sprint's equipment up there.  I'll take another look next time I'm through there.  It's possible they're going to remove that radio tower?  I'm not sure exactly, but it is a new mono-pole. 

G3? Was this on another carrier? The G3 on Sprint is not capable of those speeds.

G3? Was this on another carrier? The G3 on Sprint is not capable of those speeds.

G3 on sprint. It was my district manager for a sprint retailer. He wouldn't dream of switching to another carrier. Speedtest showed the speeds I mentioned. Dunno really what else to tell you. The app reported it as being that high. Maybe a clearwire tower. Freak of nature tower that has ridiculous speeds. I dunno.

G3 on sprint. It was my district manager for a sprint retailer. He wouldn't dream of switching to another carrier. Speedtest showed the speeds I mentioned. Dunno really what else to tell you. The app reported it as being that high. Maybe a clearwire tower. Freak of nature tower that has ridiculous speeds. I dunno.

If you ever see that again on a G3, make sure to switch apps or use a different server. The G3 can only use one B41 carrier at a time, with means max speeds in ideal conditions right around 80Mbps. No freak of nature can break that rule. Only an error in the speedtest app (Ookla, speedtest.net seems to have the most problems with this). I would recommend running a test on Sensorly to see what is going on, but there are other apps to chose from as well. 

The G4 on the other hand, can see those speeds go as high as 150 or 160Mbps. 

• 1 month later...

Kind of a big favor to ask......  My phone is being replaced and they don't have loaners.  Anyway I can borrow a phone from someone until Wednesday?  I will say this for customer service, they said they would call the stores in my area for me.  

Kind of a big favor to ask......  My phone is being replaced and they don't have loaners.  Anyway I can borrow a phone from someone until Wednesday?  I will say this for customer service, they said they would call the stores in my area for me.  

I know I still have my HTC One M7... I loaned it out to someone else a while ago and I don't know where it is off hand. I'll have to look around for it when I get home from work. I'll see if I can find it.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm near 24th and Ohio, and people calling me often go right to voicemail. The wifi calling has too much lag, any suggestions?

Sorry for the delay in responding...

Have you reported this to Sprint?  Have your updated your profile and PRL on the phone?  Are you receiving decent signal from your tower (which is real close)?   Use an app like Signal Check Pro to determine the quality of your signal.  If you aren't receiving strong signal, then maybe your tower is out.  However, it may be a device issue with your LG G3.  Lately, in the Milwaukee Market, I know they're enabling Carrier Aggregation on towers.  I had some serious issues with my local tower for a couple days while they were doing this (normally it shouldn't be an issue though) and had to use WiFi calling to make sure I could communicate with people. 

What do you mean WiFi calling has too much lag?  My S5 and my Note 5 both have great WiFi calling.  The callers are very clear on both ends, so I'm being told.  Better so than on network, but probably equivalent to HD voice.  How fast is your home WiFi or wherever you're using the WiFi calling?

I'm near 24th and Ohio, and people calling me often go right to voicemail. The wifi calling has too much lag, any suggestions?

Sorry for the delay in responding...

Have you reported this to Sprint?  Have your updated your profile and PRL on the phone?  Are you receiving decent signal from your tower (which is real close)?   Use an app like Signal Check Pro to determine the quality of your signal.  If you aren't receiving strong signal, then maybe your tower is out.  However, it may be a device issue with your LG G3.  Lately, in the Milwaukee Market, I know they're enabling Carrier Aggregation on towers.  I had some serious issues with my local tower for a couple days while they were doing this (normally it shouldn't be an issue though) and had to use WiFi calling to make sure I could communicate with people. 

What do you mean WiFi calling has too much lag?  My S5 and my Note 5 both have great WiFi calling.  The callers are very clear on both ends, so I'm being told.  Better so than on network, but probably equivalent to HD voice.  How fast is your home WiFi or wherever you're using the WiFi calling?

I have done everything but complain to Sprint.  Sensorly shows only a fair signal at my place, but a better one 2 blocks over..

Thanks for taking time to respond

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/rsr/madison-wi/2015/2H

2nd Half for Madison is out and..  not good.  Granted, the speed results, while Sprint in dead last, are not that far away.

I am certainly not shocked by this, however Sprint is gaining significant ground.  They've got to start in-fill if they want to ever be competitive.  So. many. dead. spots. 

Kind of surprised by T-mobile here, I only know one person here on Tmob and all they do is complain.  Maybe they made a late push with network improvements here. 

Our stores in Madison are aware of the issue with the network and our district manager is trying to help and get Madison fixed in any way possible.

If you guys wanna go report the issues to the store on University Ave we're planning on passing that info up to network engineers and hopefully fixing it since it is effecting our publicity in the city.

The other way to fix this is to use the sprint zone app and report the issue through there. Sprint is monitoring these reports and when they see an average of 10+ tickets more than usual they open a ticket to have it inspected and resolved.

• Like 1

Our stores in Madison are aware of the issue with the network and our district manager is trying to help and get Madison fixed in any way possible.

If you guys wanna go report the issues to the store on University Ave we're planning on passing that info up to network engineers and hopefully fixing it since it is effecting our publicity in the city.

The other way to fix this is to use the sprint zone app and report the issue through there. Sprint is monitoring these reports and when they see an average of 10+ tickets more than usual they open a ticket to have it inspected and resolved.

I'd love to see the other end of my Sprint Zone reports.  The corner of Nakoma/Monroe/Odana has to be completely painted with complaints.  I put in 2 a day, one on the way to work, one on the way home. 

I have done everything but complain to Sprint.  Sensorly shows only a fair signal at my place, but a better one 2 blocks over..

Thanks for taking time to respond

You are within 6 blocks of a tower!!  Same tower I've pulled down 98 Mbps when I stop on the the corner of 20th and Morgan and one of the towers I receive at my house, but don't receive anything close to 100--I'd be happy with a consistent 10.    The tower is in the recycling center.  It seems like the antennas are more east, west, and south oriented.  It just seems wrong because you can probably see the antenna from your house.  I'll take a drive by and see what I pull down on my phone.   Use that Sprint Zone app and report those issues.  The loudest wheel gets the grease.  

I'd love to see the other end of my Sprint Zone reports. The corner of Nakoma/Monroe/Odana has to be completely painted with complaints. I put in 2 a day, one on the way to work, one on the way home.

They add these to normal complaint tickets so if you're the only one making reports it's prolly not going to be fixed.

If you go to the store and have them pinpoint the issue in CST or call care and have them do the same thing it'll get fixed sooner.

You are within 6 blocks of a tower!!  Same tower I've pulled down 98 Mbps when I stop on the the corner of 20th and Morgan and one of the towers I receive at my house, but don't receive anything close to 100--I'd be happy with a consistent 10.    The tower is in the recycling center.  It seems like the antennas are more east, west, and south oriented.  It just seems wrong because you can probably see the antenna from your house.  I'll take a drive by and see what I pull down on my phone.   Use that Sprint Zone app and report those issues.  The loudest wheel gets the grease.  

We did finally contact Sprint, and actually spoke to a tech.  He couldn't figure out why the signal is so poor at our house.  He did send us an Airave, which works, but we have to switch our phones to cdma for it to work.

We did finally contact Sprint, and actually spoke to a tech.  He couldn't figure out why the signal is so poor at our house.  He did send us an Airave, which works, but we have to switch our phones to cdma for it to work.

Did they say they would look into why?

Did they say they would look into why?

They said that tower is operating at 100 percent.  If I walk around the block and get line of sight I get about 20-30 Mbs, but around 2 or 3 in the house.  It could be that Southlawn, and all the trees in the way have something to do with it