Network Vision/LTE - Milwaukee Market (including Madison)

sajanisch

Delafield is not 4G yet.  As I've mentioned before the towers are on top of power lines so it ls likely a ground mount option.  Wonder if this also applies to the tower at I-94 and F, since that also is still 3G.

I do get up to 2.3 mbps on speed tests though.

Maybe I'll have to freeze my ... off and take a picture of the base station.

Yeah, my home tower in Big Bend is the same issue. GMO and not turned on. Lucky I am surrounded by other towers with 4g that I am now able to get very decent speed from. From my visual observations this GMO tower is 4g ready, but who knows when they will flip the switch. It is the only tower for many miles that is not 4g active.  

So, it doesnt sound like everyone in the Milwaukee area was popping champagne bottles on Monday?

I know I'm not.  Since my last weeks blips of 4G near the Amtrak station where I work and use most of my mobile data, the network has been unusable (3G showing, not able to connect and actually receive/send data) thus far this week.  Arggghhh, champagne is going back in the fridge.

Edited by asnigro

So, it doesnt sound like everyone in the Milwaukee area was popping champagne bottles on Monday?

Ha.

Once I see all Madison towers with 800LTE, then I'll pop champagne.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

:) Congratulations on being announced (ie official).

What percentage of completion for band 25 (1900) LTE would you say you have? 40%, 60%, 80%

Curious if Milwaukee or Madison has band 41 TD-LTE usable by phones such as the G2? (no sites names or specific locations please)  If so, is it public or hidden?

I am just trying to see what may happen in Columbus in the future.  Thanks!!

:) Congratulations on being announced (ie official).

What percentage of completion for band 25 (1900) LTE would you say you have? 40%, 60%, 80%

Curious if Milwaukee or Madison has band 41 TD-LTE usable by phones such as the G2? (no sites names or specific locations please)  If so, is it public or hidden?

I am just trying to see what may happen in Columbus in the future.  Thanks!!

I would imagine band 41 would take a while in WI because ClearWire didn't have service here (Wimax) before.

• Like 1

I would imagine band 41 would take a while in WI because ClearWire didn't have service here (Wimax) before.

Except they did. Albeit limited.

There's no band 41 equipment installed in the Madison area that I've seen.

I'll run some calculations but I'd say we're over 70 percent 1900LTE.

• Like 1

Does that mean LTE with ecsfb, so Triband phones work?

Nah, it's just quiet around here cuz now we're waiting for the 800Mhz LTE to get here!

I do have to say though, the 3g network around the Milwaukee burbs and Waukesha seems to have gotten better. Instead of unusable 10kbps, I'll get in the hundreds at least. So even if I don't get LTE everywhere, the improvement in the 3g data speeds has helped.

• Like 2

Does that mean LTE with ecsfb, so Triband phones work?

I'm seeing more LTE than I thought I would after getting my N5 activated.  One site in Pewaukee that just went 4G live I know for sure is not csfb ready.  Airplane mode cycle connects to LTE for a second then drops to 3G right away.  The long interval between LTE scan times is a little annoying, since the phone tends to drop to 3G while driving around... usually requires an airplane mode cycle to get LTE back.

One thing I have noticed too, is that 1900 3g penetration has gotten better too. Where I once had 2 bars, I now have 4 bars. I knew they said the new equipment was better, but I didn't think it would be that much better.

• Like 1

One thing I have noticed too, is that 1900 3g penetration has gotten better too. Where I once had 2 bars, I now have 4 bars. I knew they said the new equipment was better, but I didn't think it would be that much better.

the deeper the better!

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Holy schnikies! An acceptance in Madison!

Another one near Union Grove, too.  I'm sorry for the Madison folks that the towers around the Capitol are 3G only.

I'm actually a little surprised at the number of towers south of I-94 that are still 3G-only.  They've been that way for a while.  Probably wanted to focus more on Madison and Milwaukee.  I'm sure backhaul has a lot to do with it, too.

Also, what is the procedure that a tower becomes 800 official?  Most of the towers that are listed as 3G/4G are broadcasting 800.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5456-factual-coverage-comparison-verizons-lte-comparison-but-using-sensorly-data/

I found this thread interesting.  SWmich4G put together maps from Sensorly comparing the four carriers.  Looks like Sprint has done a good job in WI catching up to Verizon.

Which maps are you guys basing coverage off? Sensorly?

I just ran a speedtest in my region (no coverage) on sensorly, so hopefully that will update the map. The LTE wasn't that quick yet though ~ 1 down / 3 up.

Yes, use Sensorly, don't trust the Sprint maps.  Sensorly actually comes from a user's phone.  Make sure you use the map trip option to share the coverage.  Milwaukee isn't LTE complete, yet Sprint just takes a gallon of paint and spreads it in the whole region :)

Yes, use Sensorly, don't trust the Sprint maps. Sensorly actually comes from a user's phone. Make sure you use the map trip option to share the coverage. Milwaukee isn't LTE complete, yet Sprint just takes a gallon of paint and spreads it in the whole region :)

Does mapping a trip use a lot of data? I'm on an MNVO of sprint (ting) so the entire point of my switch from Verizon was to drop my data usage.

Tappin'

Does mapping a trip use a lot of data? I'm on an MNVO of sprint (ting) so the entire point of my switch from Verizon was to drop my data usage.

Tappin'

Yes, it does use data, but not a huge amount.  Probably want to avoid this and speedtests on your TING plans as they add up quickly.