Network Vision/LTE - Milwaukee Market (including Madison)

sajanisch

Not sure about elsewhere in our market but Madison data speeds have really hit the skids. Been this way for a few weeks now. Still usable but quite slow. Rarely see above 5 down anymore.

Posted Image

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Not sure about elsewhere in our market but Madison data speeds have really hit the skids. Been this way for a few weeks now. Still usable but quite slow. Rarely see above 5 down anymore.

I noticed that when I was out there a few weeks ago. I was always in the store so I thought it was cuz I kept bouncing between 3g and 4g.

I just got 5/6 with 2 bars sitting at home (West Wash tower), and speeds seem good at work, but I done a speed test lately. I'm fine with that. If it gets slower (like your picture), I'd start to have problems, but so far it's still snappy enough.

Can pretty much confirm Milwaukee downtown is the same way or worse.

I work in Greenfield though, and I get great speeds with only 3 bars.

e9yve2u3.jpg

e9yve2u3.jpg

Yep, same thing happened in La Crosse, and has nothing has been done about it no matter how many times I call to complain about it. 3G is faster at my work than 4G has been lately.

i have called Sprint to report lower/slower speeds than I used to get in the same exact location and they don't do anything about it because they don't see a problem.

Yep, same thing happened in La Crosse, and has nothing has been done about it no matter how many times I call to complain about it. 3G is faster at my work than 4G has been lately.

i have called Sprint to report lower/slower speeds than I used to get in the same exact location and they don't do anything about it because they don't see a problem.

Just curious if this could be because all the towers dont have lte? So their not "sharing the load"? Because I live in wisconsin rapids. All towers have lte and my lte hasn't slowed one bit. (Almost no sprint customer here also tho lol)

Was at the Bradley Center on Sat night and LTE speeds were from .8-2.5 mbps.  I'd say that isn't too bad considering how bad data was before when I was at games.  Was a decent crowd for once for a Bucks game, too :)

However, in the 4th qtr I wasn't able to get data connectivity.  Not sure if that was a fluke or really overloaded.

Does mapping a trip use a lot of data? I'm on an MNVO of sprint (ting) so the entire point of my switch from Verizon was to drop my data usage.

Tappin'

You can set Sensorly to only upload over WiFi. This does two things.

One, it keeps your data use to a minimum, but allows you to map.

Two, it frees up your radio to scan more often. In the event you lose LTE, you connect quicker when you do not have an active data session.

• Like 2

Well, the last tower in the City of Waukesha went live this weekend. I used to get 1 bar of LTE from a farther away tower and now i have 3 bars at home, roughly a -94 signal. I will do some driving this weekend to see how well our area is covered with LTE.

• Like 3

No clue if anything happened, but there were fresh tracks in the snow up to my tower on Monday. Perhaps techs shimmied up and put in those 800LTE cards??

The carrier cards are installed at the cabinets, fortunately. The radios on the tower are controlled from there. Something to be hopeful about, though. :fingers:

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

The carrier cards are installed at the cabinets, fortunately. The radios on the tower are controlled from there. Something to be hopeful about, though. :fingers:

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Well, then they shimmied up the driveway because its a steep little hill covered in ice!

• Like 1

No clue if anything happened, but there were fresh tracks in the snow up to my tower on Monday. Perhaps techs shimmied up and put in those 800LTE cards??

Maybe a groundhog was running around trying to find a good angle to get rid of his shadow :)

Maybe a groundhog was running around trying to find a good angle to get rid of his shadow :)

We can only hope. Lol

So quiet in here.  Now that Milwaukee and Madison are "launched" (With obvious holes in coverage) how are you liking it?

I'm fairly happy but..  I won't be fully happy until I have an 800 LTE phone and that is available.  Not much LTE in buildings, obviously, right now

• Like 1

So quiet in here.  Now that Milwaukee and Madison are "launched" (With obvious holes in coverage) how are you liking it?

I'm fairly happy but..  I won't be fully happy until I have an 800 LTE phone and that is available.  Not much LTE in buildings, obviously, right now

Eh, it's definitely better than it was before. 3G speeds seem decently better. But as you said, the LTE on 1900Mhz is definitely not a "complete" LTE network. I hop in and out of LTE all the time and rarely get it inside buildings. So I think all the excitement has calmed down now while we wait to to start seeing 800Mhz LTE acceptances pop up in our area. It sucks seeing 800Mhz acceptances in Northern Wisconsin and nothing down here. It also seems there is very little activity going on around here at all. I'm guessing the terrible terrible winter has a role to play in that too though. Oh well. 

• Like 2

Eh, it's definitely better than it was before. 3G speeds seem decently better. But as you said, the LTE on 1900Mhz is definitely not a "complete" LTE network. I hop in and out of LTE all the time and rarely get it inside buildings. So I think all the excitement has calmed down now while we wait to to start seeing 800Mhz LTE acceptances pop up in our area. It sucks seeing 800Mhz acceptances in Northern Wisconsin and nothing down here. It also seems there is very little activity going on around here at all. I'm guessing the terrible terrible winter has a role to play in that too though. Oh well. 

The holes in coverage in Madison downtown are bad, very bad.  The key areas that I visit are without LTE yet.  As you said, in building LTE is non-existent unless you're right next to a tower.  Overall, its a night and day improvement over what WAS here, however, its still very early morning and still quite dark, in my analogy.

I'm pretty sure northern wisconsin has had the same winter that we have had, so that's not the reason. I'm guessing that there are less towers and less issues with backhaul (but aren't they using the same backhaul providers?), ergo, vis-a-vis, concordantly, they get the goodies first.  However, always an optimist....I mean we have to be, we're Sprint customers.....I think things are going on, just waiting on acceptances and testing.

My biggest issue right now is trying to decide what I want for my upgrade from the S4....I have another coming July 1, so its not the end-all-be-all decision.  If these S5-prime rumors pan out, I might have the S5 and then the S5-prime, unless HTC can woo me back, but the sting from my Evo still burns!

• Like 2

The holes in coverage in Madison downtown are bad, very bad.  The key areas that I visit are without LTE yet.  As you said, in building LTE is non-existent unless you're right next to a tower.  Overall, its a night and day improvement over what WAS here, however, its still very early morning and still quite dark, in my analogy.

I'm pretty sure northern wisconsin has had the same winter that we have had, so that's not the reason. I'm guessing that there are less towers and less issues with backhaul (but aren't they using the same backhaul providers?), ergo, vis-a-vis, concordantly, they get the goodies first.  However, always an optimist....I mean we have to be, we're Sprint customers.....I think things are going on, just waiting on acceptances and testing.

My biggest issue right now is trying to decide what I want for my upgrade from the S4....I have another coming July 1, so its not the end-all-be-all decision.  If these S5-prime rumors pan out, I might have the S5 and then the S5-prime, unless HTC can woo me back, but the sting from my Evo still burns!

I'm set on the new HTC One. That 12 min video that leaked out by that stupid kid got me excited. The camera looks like it's gonna be amazing with that dual sensor setup. I have the ONE right now and while the camera is good, you can't zoom much because it's only 4MP. I think the dual sensor setup on the new HTC One keeps the "Ultrapixel" technology, but also adds another sensor for better quality and a better zoom. You can see at the end of the video the kid looks at the picture he took and zooms in super close and the quality looks damn good from what I could see....

It's pretty painful listening to this kid, but just skip to the end to see the camera stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvq4H6yI3Jk

Has anyone else been getting only 1X in Wisconsin lately?

I've only been getting 1X on my Optimus G downtown Madison (although I had LTE for a brief period of time when they first started rolling it out), and my mother is only getting 1X in the Green Bay area on her Galaxy S3. Occasionally I'll get an EVDO connection but it's very rare. 

I've only been getting 1X on my Optimus G downtown Madison (although I had LTE for a brief period of time when they first started rolling it out), and my mother is only getting 1X in the Green Bay area on her Galaxy S3. Occasionally I'll get an EVDO connection but it's very rare.

In Appleton area I've had very few issues on my G2 recently. Mostly all lte where I am, both b25 and b26.

Do you mean 1xRTT (1900) versus 1x800 for voice?  Or you simply mean no data at all and you're only getting 1xRTT for data?  If its the former, there was a PRL update that changed the priority away from 1x800 being primary.  If its the latter, then I don't see that.

Do you mean 1xRTT (1900) versus 1x800 for voice?  Or you simply mean no data at all and you're only getting 1xRTT for data?  If its the former, there was a PRL update that changed the priority away from 1x800 being primary.  If its the latter, then I don't see that.

I was getting only 1x800 for voice and data. I forgot about updating the profile on the stock rom, now I have eHRPD indoors and had LTE briefly outside. 

I've noticed significantly better 3g coverage in Milwaukee the past week or two. Also the speeds seem normal (1-2Mbps).

My phone profile was just recently updated.

Tappin'