Network Vision/LTE - Milwaukee Market (including Madison)

sajanisch

They said that tower is operating at 100 percent.  If I walk around the block and get line of sight I get about 20-30 Mbs, but around 2 or 3 in the house.  It could be that Southlawn, and all the trees in the way have something to do with it

does your home, or a home between you and the tower have a steel roof?  that can often cause major interference.  

• 3 weeks later...

Sweet baby Jesus, LTE Roaming on USCC in western Wisconsin! (note: still counts against roaming cap of 300 or 100mb )

http://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp#!/

uleEzaa.png

Sent from my Sprint Note5

Not understanding that since USCC is giving Sprint roaming included with plans. Hopefully that will change.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Not understanding that since USCC is giving Sprint roaming included with plans. Hopefully that will change.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Yeah, there's hardly any LTE+ across the nation, I'm hoping that it'll be growing in a lot of places. 

Just picked up "Extended Network" LTE Roaming on USCC in my building here in Madison! Nice to see.

Post a screenshot when you get a chance.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

• Like 1

I'm having a real hard time capturing it. Bounces to USCC LTE and then to Evdo Rev A.  Just dawned on me now that I should just do a screen recording to capture it.  Have to be in the exact right areas otherwise it'll grab on to a 1x800 Sprint signal for dear life. 

You keep repeating this.  It is not correct.  USCC has a roaming quota that applies to Sprint.  If you have proof otherwise, the burden is on you to post it.

AJ

You keep repeating this.  It is not correct.  USCC has a roaming quota that applies to Sprint.  If you have proof otherwise, the burden is on you to post it.

AJ

I realize I'm mistaken, though this was posted the same time as my post in the other thread.

USCC gives 400MB.

I realize I'm mistaken, though this was posted the same time as my post in the other thread.

USCC gives 400MB.

Yes, that is accurate.  USCC does not want its subs living in Sprint markets and perma roaming.

AJ

VZW is strong almost everywhere because they have 700 MHz nationally and 20x20 AWS over most of the US, not to mention a boatload of small cells.

T-Mobile is hitting the end of the spectrum runway in a lot of moderate sized cities already.

Sprint is going to be fun to watch with 20 MHz of multiple B41 channels, nationwide SMR, and small cells by the boatload in 2016.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sprint is going to be fun to watch with 20 MHz of multiple B41 channels, nationwide SMR, and small cells by the boatload in 2016.

These small cells and infill towers have to happen sooner than later.

Sent from my Sprint Note5

I've read variations of the same theme for the past five years. One constant remains. Sprint is a far distant 4th among carriers in this market.

Sprint was third in the 1H 2015 RootMetrics in Milwaukee over T-Mobile. Then they jumped AT&T in the 2H test.

What data are you looking at?

• Like 1

Real world. And my own phone experience in Milw. West Allis and Waukesha compared to my work ATT iPhone. It's not even close.

Yeah, well, you can think what you want, but you are not qualified to rank the networks objectively.  You are little more than one data point, while RootMetrics is hundreds or thousands of data points.

AJ

• Like 1

Real world. And my own phone experience in Milw. West Allis and Waukesha compared to my work ATT iPhone. It's not even close.

That isn't the same as a whole metro. I am not discounting that there are parts of Milwaukee that AT&T works better. Considering how close the two are on the final score, it's highly likely. The Root people are aiming for market wide measurements.

That isn't the same as a whole metro. I am not discounting that there are parts of Milwaukee that AT&T works better.

People tend to be myopic in their subjective assessments.  AT&T works better at my house and my office.  Therefore, AT&T overall must be better.  It is a composition fallacy -- faulty generalization.

AJ

• Like 2

People tend to be myopic in their subjective assessments. AT&T works better at my house and my office. Therefore, AT&T overall must be better. It is a composition fallacy -- faulty generalization.

AJ

Exactly. And some people will have a better experience on AT&T than Sprint in the Milwaukee area. But the data proves that more people around Milwaukee will have a better experience on Sprint than AT&T or T-Mobile. And some people will never accept that.

And many other falsely compare what Sprint was two years ago in a spot and what AT&T is now. And that's not even an apples to apples comparison.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

• Like 3

There should always be an when it comes to these kind of personal reports. No one will ever discount personal experience, but that does not equate the entire market as a whole. 

The fact that Sprint even comes close to Verizon and AT&T in some of these markets means that they have invested significant money in upgrading the network and have become a viable choice.

• Like 2

The fact that Sprint even comes close to Verizon and AT&T in some of these markets means that they have invested significant money in upgrading the network and have become a viable choice.

I am not surprised that T-Mobile lags well behind in Milwaukee.  It has been a spectrum constrained market.

I am a bit surprised that Sprint beats AT&T, as AT&T has had the benefit of both a Cellular 850 MHz network (Cingular) and a PCS 1900 MHz network (AT&TWS) since the Cingular-AT&TWS merger a decade ago.  AT&T may be struggling under the weight of its own market share.

And I must admit I am surprised that VZW wins the market.  For "3G," Milwaukee is one of VZW's few PCS 1900 MHz only markets.  It was PrimeCo before the merger 15 years ago.  No AirTouch, no Bell Atlantic Mobile, no GTE.  So, band 13 is paramount -- no other low band spectrum.  Everything else is mid band.

Lastly, while RootMetrics is the best objective testing available, another shortcoming is the failure to test USCC in Milwaukee, Omaha, Tulsa, and Knoxville.  Where USCC is a major market operator -- especially where it is a Cellular 850 MHz licensee, such as in Milwaukee -- it should be included in the testing regimen.

With the demise of Nextel, Alltel, MetroPCS, Cricket, Cincinnati Bell, et al., most major markets now are down to the big four.  But not all markets.  And RootMetrics should test the remaining alternative operators in those markets.

AJ

• Like 6