Network Vision/LTE - Milwaukee Market (including Madison)

sajanisch

Well, it could be a long time, but in Madison, which are the same crews (install, testers, etc.) in the Milwaukee area, we had 1x800 overnight, then it went all day.  Then that following night we had LTE overnight sporadically.....then 24 hours later it was on and stayed on.  Then they came back 2 weeks later and took all the legacy gear down.

On some of the sites around the Milwaukee area, they've already taken down the legacy panels at least... Like on 92nd and Beloit, and Moorland and i43, they did a straight-up swap. Took down old panels and put up new ones at the same time.

Well, it could be a long time, but in Madison, which are the same crews (install, testers, etc.) in the Milwaukee area, we had 1x800 overnight, then it went all day.  Then that following night we had LTE overnight sporadically.....then 24 hours later it was on and stayed on.  Then they came back 2 weeks later and took all the legacy gear down.

On the 92nd & Beloit tower, and Moorland and i43, they did a straight-up swap. Took down the old panels and put up new ones at the same time. not sure about cabinets and what-not though. I'll be looking forward to seeing some more LTE in Waukesha, and hopefully some more action to the South and East. New Berlin needs some love, the towers are spaced pretty far apart for covering the New Berlin area...

Actually, the I-43 tower never had the old panels on the neck of the water tower, they are/were on top and I have no idea if they are still there since they were hard to make out to begin with. (Painted white like everything else on top.) That makes me curious though, I need to look back at the Muskego West tower (that Is testing 4g overnight right now) to see if they left the old panels up. I am fairly certain that the Muskego East (College) tower still has the old ones up with the new NV antenna. I go past that thing every day.

You are right though, look at the current accepted sites and you will realize that southern Waukesha is left out in the cold... hopefully this overnight testing for LTE is going on in more then just the Muskego West Water tower and they will all light up soon....

On some of the sites around the Milwaukee area, they've already taken down the legacy panels at least... Like on 92nd and Beloit, and Moorland and i43, they did a straight-up swap. Took down old panels and put up new ones at the same time.

Does anyone in Madison have the Nexus 5? Is LTE working? Curious to see if the N5 will be working when they turn on LTE in Waukesha.

I don't have a N5, but according to the map, LTE should work just fine. We don't have any 4G only towers, so you shouldn't get the tri-band phone issue. Milwaukee still has quite a few purple pins last I checked though (although sounds like they will be turning green shortly).

What kind of signal strength are you guys getting on the nexus 5? I have been watching, and I almost never go past 2 bars of signal, and at that point I read somewhere around -70 to -89, at -90 it goes to one bar and sits there.

Does anyone normally see a strength good enough to hit 3-4 bars with this phone? 

What kind of signal strength are you guys getting on the nexus 5? I have been watching, and I almost never go past 2 bars of signal, and at that point I read somewhere around -70 to -89, at -90 it goes to one bar and sits there.

Does anyone normally see a strength good enough to hit 3-4 bars with this phone? 

The N5 has been performing amazingly RF signal wise. I actually hit -52db the other day, which is the lowest i have ever seen on a device. My EVO LTE never went below -65 that i have seen. At home, im a solid -5db better than the evo, up to -10 to -12 depending where i am in the house. When they were testing LTE the other night, i actually saw full LTE bars in my house. Assuming the N5 shows LTE signal strength as bars. Can't wait till all the recently converted Waukesha towers get some LTE goodness.

I don't have a N5, but according to the map, LTE should work just fine. We don't have any 4G only towers, so you shouldn't get the tri-band phone issue. Milwaukee still has quite a few purple pins last I checked though (although sounds like they will be turning green shortly).

Well, i have been past a couple towers that have been marked 3g/4g complete, but was not able to pick up LTE. I will try again tonight on my way home from work, but updating profile and prl.

Well, i have been past a couple towers that have been marked 3g/4g complete, but was not able to pick up LTE. I will try again tonight on my way home from work, but updating profile and prl.

I live out in the falls with a n5 and have not picked up LTE yet. Did get 800, which improved things quite a bit. I think you need to drive past towers that are marked as green for 800/3g/4g to actually get 4g with a n5.

I think one or more of the Pewaukee towers just lit up with LTE, was in signalcheck and all of a sudden LTE popped up.

The tower near Lisbon and 74 in Sussex (by Halquist/Quarry Mart Mobil) is for sure broadcasting LTE, if you drive by that.

• Like 1

I live out in the falls with a n5 and have not picked up LTE yet. Did get 800, which improved things quite a bit. I think you need to drive past towers that are marked as green for 800/3g/4g to actually get 4g with a n5.

yea my bad. I meant towers that were fully complete. Will test after work.

All those 1X800.

Took a drive after work down 16 to KE, took KE to K to Sussex.  The only place I was without LTE was on most of KE between 16 and K.  When I drove past Jessica Dr, LTE signal was around -100 there.  I didn't bother driving in further on Jessica Dr. though to see if signal improved.  So it could have been some other tower I was hitting (this summer I was able to get LTE from the 16/83 tower all the way to Richmond & K near Richmond School).

Drove past the WCTC tower and was getting levels in the -80s for LTE, so I think that one's on.  Haven't dropped out of 800 since Friday anywhere I've been in Waukesha/Washington county.

• Like 1

Took a drive after work down 16 to KE, took KE to K to Sussex.  The only place I was without LTE was on most of KE between 16 and K.  When I drove past Jessica Dr, LTE signal was around -100 there.  I didn't bother driving in further on Jessica Dr. though to see if signal improved.  So it could have been some other tower I was hitting (this summer I was able to get LTE from the 16/83 tower all the way to Richmond & K near Richmond School).

Drove past the WCTC tower and was getting levels in the -80s for LTE, so I think that one's on.  Haven't dropped out of 800 since Friday anywhere I've been in Waukesha/Washington county.

I have a LG G2, I am not picking up any LTE.  I'm assuming due to the CSFB triband issue.  I'm hoping I'll start getting LTE when these towers all become official NV sites.

y7uza4en.jpg

This is right by the WCTC tower. The LTE is obviously coming from another tower.

I am getting faint LTE at my condo in Pewaukee behind Country Springs. I switch between the WCTC tower and the UW Waukesha tower for regular signal and those are stronger so the LTE must be coming from another tower.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

What are the LTE expectations relative to 1x 800? Rollout-wise does one follow the other?

3G and 1x are accepted in clusters all at once, then LTE trickles in on a site-by-site basis for several days after. That can continue for some time since there are still sites lacking the proper backhaul. Those sites will see LTE activated once the backhaul arrives.

I've been lurking here for some time and still can't believe how bad sprint has handled the Milwaukee area with WiMAX (in the past ) & lte rollout. Downtown Milwaukee has less than .25 megabits speeds on 3G. How can this company continue to charge people for data when their data is almost useless... It's so bad I have to walk around with a tMobile lte mifi for data.

I guess I am venting... next summer is where I make me decision to leave or be a sucker for another two years. I am just worried once sprint has a built lte network all the mvno's will have access to their lte causing terrible speeds. Oh well.

Milwaukee will see several clusters come online in the next several weeks. The "Majority Complete" deadline for Samsung markets - including Milwaukee - is late December to early January. At the point a market reaches majority complete, you will see the clusters come online, first with 3G and 1x800, then LTE trickling in afterwards.