Network Vision/LTE - Cincinnati Market

ohioratrodder

I'd go with native sprint if it didn't require a 2 year contract and a $250 deposit. I tried that last year. Zero major carriers would accept my poor credit. An MVNO is my only option right now. Also, if the photon isn't trip band are there any devices sold at Kroger that are? Like the Coolpad arise or whatever Chinese junk that they sell other than the photon q? Its starting to sound like the poor guy making $100-$150 a week at UDF is still s**t out of luck.

Why did at&t have to buy cricket and screw everything up? Ugh

I'd go with native sprint if it didn't require a 2 year contract and a $250 deposit. I tried that last year. Zero major carriers would accept my poor credit. An MVNO is my only option right now. Also, if the photon isn't trip band are there any devices sold at Kroger that are? Like the Coolpad arise or whatever Chinese junk that they sell other than the photon q? Its starting to sound like the poor guy making $100-$150 a week at UDF is still s**t out of luck.

I also have poor credit and can open AT&T and T-Mobile lines without issue, granted I have to pay more upfront with T-Mobile. Verizon is my current postpaid carrier and I have 0 issues there as well.

But there are Boost and Virgin models with Triband, so that enables you to still benefit from Spark in Southwest Ohio, while you rebuild your credit.

How did att screw up cricket? They give you a free htc (lte) desire 610 or a free lumia lte 635 when you sign up. That's a damn good deal. Lte up to 8mbps and 3G up to 4mbps is very good considering att tops out at 8mbps already in some markets
  • Like 1

How did att screw up cricket? They give you a free htc (lte) desire 610 or a free lumia lte 635 when you sign up. That's a damn good deal. Lte up to 8mbps and 3G up to 4mbps is very good considering att tops out at 8mbps already in some markets

Lou, seriously I would not bother to make sense of this.  He's said the same thing about T-mobile, and the other carriers. 

I say just go native Sprint and not a mvno

I'm going to have to recommend Republic Wireless' Moto X (1st gen if you want 4G + simultaneous talk or 2nd Gen if you want 4G "Spark").  Spark speeds and B41 connectivity have been confirmed on the Moto X 2nd gen on Republic Wireless, an MVNO that uses Sprint, although Sprint doesn't sell the Moto X (and therefore, it's not labeled as a "Spark" phone).  Gotta drop $400 for the phone up front, but you get up to 5GB of "Spark" speeds for $40/mo.

Also, if you can't get a Sprint signal, you get call/text seamlessly over WiFi.

At&t screwed up cricket by getting rid of all the things that helped us low income people. They no longer have bridge pay and now charge late fees if you can't pay your bill. Not to mention text messaging gets shut off if you can't pay your bill. You used to get texting for an extra month if you couldn't pay. Also at&t doesn't work well in my area. I was having as much trouble making and receiving calls on the at&t network as I am now on t mobile. I went 3 years on the old CDMA cricket service with zero dropped calls and only had to deal with not connecting calls 1% of the time (and old cricket would actually tell you the circuits are busy, at&t gives you dead air). At&t was terrible and I refuse to go back. I'm trying to find a carrier as reliable and cheap as old cricket but doesn't involve the duopoly

At&t screwed up cricket by getting rid of all the things that helped us low income people. They no longer have bridge pay and now charge late fees if you can't pay your bill. Not to mention text messaging gets shut off if you can't pay your bill. You used to get texting for an extra month if you couldn't pay. Also at&t doesn't work well in my area. I was having as much trouble making and receiving calls on the at&t network as I am now on t mobile. I went 3 years on the old CDMA cricket service with zero dropped calls and only had to deal with not connecting calls 1% of the time (and old cricket would actually tell you the circuits are busy, at&t gives you dead air). At&t was terrible and I refuse to go back. I'm trying to find a carrier as reliable and cheap as old cricket but doesn't involve the duopoly

Then go with verizon prepaid.

All ATT want to do is to keep Cricket spectrum and its CDMA network away from Sprint. ATT doesn't really care about Cricket customers.

Verizon prepaid runs on 3g and they're all but shutting it down. I have a friend with an iPhone 4 who can barely use it on verizon 3g. Speeds are almost as slow as t mobile EDGE. If Verizon does have any LTE phones on prepaid, they're definitely not less than $100.

And the pricing, $45 for talk text and a 1GB hard cap? I'd rather be throttled than add $15 to my account every time I reach a cap.

And cricket used to care about their customers and make money. Now at&t is basically shafting all their loyal customers. Check the posts on the cricket wireless Facebook page. I'm not the only one pissed off by the merger.

How much do you use per month? Ting is another decent sprint mvno, and they offer voice roaming which many others don't. You pay a base line fee of $6, then pay for what you actually use in buckets. You can also buy many older used sprint phones and activate them on ting.

Complaining about service being shut off when you can't pay your bill is kind of ridiculous. I have fallen on hard times myself. A call to Sprint or Verizon explaining when and how you can pay will usually result in them working with you. I haven't had any experience with AT&T in this regard but I imagine they would be similar. If its something that continually happens, you should probably rethink your priorities and go with a lower cost service.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I use a lot of minutes (probably at least 1,000) about 3,000 texts, and 2GB of data (5GB if I didn't have WiFi)

That kind of usage would not be a good fit for Ting's billing model.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My roommate and I switched to Kroger I wireless yesterday. Our phones were activated and our numbers were ported over. But we're having 2 problems. First of all, our data isn't working. We can only get a 3g or LTE signal while we do a prl or profile update, then the 3g or 4g icon disappears. Secondly, we have no voicemail. If I dial voicemail, I get a busy tone. If people call me, my phone rings 7 or 8 times followed by a "subscriber is unavailable, please call again" message. I've called I wireless 3 times and they're going to escalate the issue to engineering. I've tried everything. Has anyone else had these problems. Without data service my photon q LTE is basically a flip phone unless I'm on WiFi

• 1 month later...

Sprint is officially the second fastest network in Cincinnati after Verizon, although they are virtually tied in the speed category. I think we can officially blame Sprint's problems on the 5x5 in PCS because T-Mobile's speeds in Cincinnati are similar to Sprint's average speeds in many markets.  

http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/rsr/cincinnati-oh

• Like 3

Sprint is officially the second fastest network in Cincinnati after Verizon, although they are virtually tied in the speed category. I think we can officially blame Sprint's problems on the 5x5 in PCS because T-Mobile's speeds in Cincinnati are similar to Sprint's average speeds in many markets.

As more 8t8r come online, I think things will change. Thanks for the update.
  • Like 1

New Orleans, Indianapolis, and Louisville are officially in that boat, too. Problem is Sprint hasn't added enough strength yet in those markets to be at the duopoly level there. All three markets I mentioned have strong AT&T presence. AT&T is the landline ILEC in those markets.

http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/rsr/new-orleans-la

http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/rsr/indianapolis-in/2014/2H

http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/rsr/louisville-ky

It's not much consolation that T-Mo is 5x5 in those markets because the markets where they're more than 10x10 are most of the top 10 markets, and a pretty good chunk of the top 25.

Out of the top 10, T-Mo can go 15x15 and up in all except Chicago and leave AWS in HSPA. Extend that to the Top 25, and the list of 10x10 expands to Phoenix, St. Louis, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Charlotte, and San Antonio.

Cincy, Indy, New Orleans, and Louisville are not top 25 markets. I'm not sure they're huge priorities for T-Mobile at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk