Network Vision/LTE - Norfolk Market (Hampton Roads/Virginia Tidewater)

wellsey1126

Been using sensorly to see if any 4G recorded in Virginia. NONE. However all around Virginia Hampton roads to Virginia Beach I see spring towers being worked on. And the one around Langley pAFB. I think the LTE is set up they just haven't flipped the switch yet. Probably late November they will flick th switch for trial. And announce it in December. However my 3G speeds has gotten better.

I thought the eHRPD was the back haul

Nope. Backhaul is the connection between a cell site and the Sprint network (MSC switching center or 4G network core). eHRPD is a 3G technology that is identical to EVDO, except that instead of your data going from the cell site through the internet to a legacy MSC, it instead goes to the 4G core. This allows your device to maintain one IP address as you transition from LTE to 3G. And you have a seamless experience.

Robert via Samsung Note II using Forum Runner

Ok today almost all 3G was out for an hour or so. It was on and off and had a -98db when it was connected. Once it stopped fliggering on and off I then got connected to eHRPD just about everywhere I went today. Seemed like I had more 1X bars also. I ran a test for speed and it was about 3x faster download and about 2x upload speed.

• Like 1

connections have been consistantly terrible lately on the penninsula, I was actually seeing RTX*1 signals in NN just yesterday, and by my house OMG it's bad, don't know what they are playing with but I hope that only good things come of it, If there are NO data connections around a supposedly upgraded tower I can only assume they are hooking up backhaul/disconnecting reconnecting the radios? no idea but perhapse they are trying to get this area launched by the amazing Black Friday deals they are about to release.I think I read somewhere that with sandy haveing hit alot of market work got diverted to those areas hit....Already been waiting 2 years for some sort of 4G whats another month :-)

The improvement in signal is 1dBm to 5dBm on average from RRU upgrades in Network Vision. It will vary at each site based on specific site conditions, including panel downtilt, site signal power (which varies based on lots of factors like interference management), local topography and ground clutter.

The biggest changes in Sprint signal strength will come in the addition of 800MHz service.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

So I read that the Hampton roads upgrade to 4G LTE will be completed by the end of February 2013. Does that mean that they are going to wait till then to flip the switch? It's kinda looking that way since we still have not see any testing so far. I was convinced they would be by now. Beginning of December maybe?

So I read that the Hampton roads upgrade to 4G LTE will be completed by the end of February 2013. Does that mean that they are going to wait till then to flip the switch? It's kinda looking that way since we still have not see any testing so far. I was convinced they would be by now. Beginning of December maybe?

When towers are complete, and all the components are in place for the LTE network, they will open the towers up for public access. Currently, there are no towers complete in your area. As each tower is completed, Sprint is leaving them open for anyone to access. They will not be waiting for the whole market before they 'flip the switch.' It is not known when the first towers will be completed, but work is underway in some form right now.

I honestly think it is a backhaul delay here. I get awsome speeds before 9am and after 6pm but between them times forget it. I sometimes think there no access and I can tell you there is work being done i will have a -80dBm and then be roaming on 123456 network for 2-3 mins and then back to sprint access. The tower has only 1 tree and 2 buildings between us.

This is something I found when I searched Norfolk, this may explain a lot. Thanks jcrowder3 for the info!

The Norfolk area was supposed to be Launched in December. I was supposed to start in September. I got local confirmation (from someone in the city permits office) that Sprint was working on it. That will be 3 months in just a few days and not a single tower in the area has been accepted. Three months sounds right to me. My hope is it will really speed up in spring.

Yeah this sort of sucks, I don't want to complain but Norfolk (Hampton Roads) has had no decent 4G/WIMAX/LTE footprint ever.  The little in downtown Norfolk (WIMAX) was horrible and I can't even keep a 1.0Mb d/l 3G speed.  GRRRR!  OK rant over heading back to sensorly to see if a purple square pops up. :)

Yeah here in Norfolk around E Little Creek Rd and Tidewater Dr, I experience the same thing. I am connected to the network but I lose my 3G connection. Most of the time a quick airplane mode cycle fixes it but in a few instances, I was without 3G for about an hour.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like a blip in Norfolk appeared on Sensorly.

Confirmed. Around 11pm to Midnight, 4g signal. Fast. I tried running Sensorly in trip mode, but battery limit was reached. Still got some info through active scan, but don't have a screencap of that. Area of 4G coverage seems to be on Granby between the Zoo and Wards Corner approximately. Speeds were fast.

First screenshot is from a friend's SIII, mine is Galaxy Nexus. Signal dropped to 3g as I was driving around running speed tests, but the 4g icon lit up!

post-3966-0-86836300-1355813617_thumb.pngpost-3966-0-20980300-1355813951_thumb.png

Edit: in Sensorly, signal as anywhere from -105dbm to -85. All the speedtest results in the screencaps were at -105.

• Like 3