Network Vision/LTE - Norfolk Market (Hampton Roads/Virginia Tidewater)

wellsey1126

Are their any updates? 3g is kicking my ass

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

We wrote an article about this market in the past 30 days or so. Here is the link: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-275-norfolkvirginia-beach-network-visionlte-deployment-schedule-update/

The information has not changed since writing the article. Alcatel Lucent should be beginning some work in the market now.

Robert

My phone has 1x rarely getting 3g. Is that a good sign

I would take that as your local tower is being worked on. When NV is being setup, it is not impacting the existing hardware as removing the old hardware isn't until after the new stuff is online. I would be more inclined to think that you might be seeing "band aid" fixes listed at network.sprint.com or perhaps your local tower is experiencing issues. In the later case, you'd need to contact Sprint.

• 2 weeks later...
Has their been any updated info on the Hampton roads market?

No

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

• 2 weeks later...

I know their has been a couple of threads out their asking about the Hampton roads area. Their hasn't been much convo regarding it. A lot of my friends in the military complain about sprint. I tell them that improvement is coming. I don't want to continue to ask for updates in this area. If anyone else is in the Hampton roads area. Start posting up screen shots of your speed test. I think change is coming...

This was taken in Va Beach near green run high ..

post-3631-13468414214419_thumb.jpg

I'd be careful. If that first speed was taken at 6 AM, then it's skewed. Here in Cary, NC I get 1600 down / 300 up before 8am. 600 down / 300 up after 8am and anything from 15-200 down / 50-300 up after 11am. Make sure those were peak traffic speeds. You need to consider load in the speed tests.

• Like 1

I'd be careful. If that first speed was taken at 6 AM, then it's skewed. Here in Cary, NC I get 1600 down / 300 up before 8am. 600 down / 300 up after 8am and anything from 15-200 down / 50-300 up after 11am. Make sure those were peak traffic speeds. You need to consider load in the speed tests.

While I agree, it's at least good to know it's not T1 backhaul to the site.

What do u mean?

\

T1 backhaul would be limited to a max of 1.5 mb/s per my understanding. If you're seeing 2mbit+ speeds, it is either AAV, Microwave or Fiber backhaul. In that case, I would assume the limiting factor is carrier capacity.

They have to be doing something. My service in Chesapeake va n Virginia beach has been all over the place. More than usual. Going from 1x to 3g to my signal bars constantly going up and down ...

The Norfolk market is scheduled to have started by now. It may be Network Vision related. We are just waiting for confirmation that work is under way by an observant S4GRU member watching towers.

Robert

Unfortunately, Hampton Roads is the largest metropolitan area on the East Coast where Sprint/Clear did not deploy 4G WiMax (except for a small initial network whose footprint did not grow). This means that unlike most major metro areas on the East Coast, data traffic isn't being offloaded onto 4G and correspondingly the 3G network is clogged. As S4GRU indicated, Sprint is supposed to start deploying 4G LTE in HR soon. Let's hope that all goes according to plan!

Edited by GoWireless
  • Like 1