Network Vision/LTE - Puerto Rico/Virgin Islands Market

Gab2012

jajajajaja well let your wife know that I also own two iPhone 5's, the Note 2 is my backup phone or testing phone if you will. So I guess I have a chance to still live on this world.

So I loose another battle hahaha. iPhone is a great phone, more realiable than any other, ¡but I love my note 2! (another great feature of Note 2 in Sprint network is that you will be able to use data while calling but only works in LTE, iPhone in Sprint, unfortunately, cant do that)

Re: LTE in note 2. What happens if you go to settings > more settings > Network mode > and then select LTE/CDMA?

Edited by Sam

I heard from a source that they are working on LTE on Vieques and Culebra, and then should start over in the USVI soon after. :fingers:

Robert

that's right!!!! a account executive told me that...

• Like 1

I don't believe PR will be getting 800LTE in the near future. I'm not sure Sprint holds a licence for the spectrum there.

Unless they inexplicably sold, traded, etc. the licenses, they do have SMR spectrum there. In another thread I posted links to the Nextel license purchases from back in the day. I'll have to look for it later.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Unless they inexplicably sold, traded, etc. the licenses, they do have SMR spectrum there. In another thread I posted links to the Nextel license purchases from back in the day. I'll have to look for it later.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Hmm.. Maybe I was remembering something wrong. I'll look around a bit.

The exact extents of LTE 800 is not completely known yet. But a few things we do know:

• They will be deploying one 5MHz wide FD-LTE carrier in most markets. In some markets they may be limited to a 3MHz wide LTE deployment (especially the Southeast U.S.)
  • There are licensing issues within 75 miles of the Canadian and Mexican borders that the FCC and Sprint are working through with neighboring countries/license holders that could delay deployment and possibly size of channels used in these areas.
  • They are not deploying in LTE 800 in Puerto Rico initially
  • Sprint is targeting that 80% of sites will receive LTE 800 within each market
  • Sprint will be starting FIT (Field Implementation Testing) for LTE 800 this Fall
  • Sprint is tentatively scheduled to begin LTE 800 deployment in the 2nd Half of 2013

Robert

The key word there seems to be initially.

Anyway, here's the post that I was referring to with the links to the FCC docs: http://s4gru.com/ind...dpost__p__73032

Do they have the full 14MHz of SMR in PR? The delay in PR may be related to international interference concerns...much like the 75 mile international boundary zone with the Canada and Mexico boundaries.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

Well, I didn't say it wasn't coming, it just wasn't in the near future. I don't remember why it's not getting rolled out initially.

Ok, I guess I just got a bit confused. No market is getting LTE 800 initially are they? :scratch:

Do they have the full 14MHz of SMR in PR? The delay in PR may be related to international interference concerns...much like the 75 mile international boundary zone with the Canada and Mexico boundaries.

That, I don't know. I don't see why they wouldn't have the full 14MHz there, but AJ would almost certainly know better than I. The FCC docs that I found only provide the calls signs for the SMR licenses that Nextel purchased in PR and everywhere else. What you posit sounds quite plausible imho regarding the concern over international interference.

What I like to check periodically is the 800 TA. The latest report came out a couple of weeks ago: http://www.800ta.org/content/reporting/QPR_09.30.12.pdf Pages 29-31 and devoted solely to Puerto Rico and the USVI. If I'm interpreting the document correctly, the USVI is all cleared and ready to go for 800MHz whenever Sprint is ready (provided that there are no interference concerns with neighboring countries) and PR's clearing and re-banding is progressing quite rapidly as well.

• Like 1

I'm sad. For Sprint Puerto Rico this mean 2021. Don't expect 800mhz. Everybody knows the history of Spint in the Island. For now Im happy with the LTE in 1900. If they complete everything, is very good for us.

• Like 2

I'm sad. For Sprint Puerto Rico this mean 2021. Don't expect 800mhz. Everybody knows the history of Spint in the Island. For now Im happy with the LTE in 1900. If they complete everything, is very good for us.

Nothing new being reported here. I've said from the very beginning of S4GRU that Puerto Rico would not get 800MHz deployment initially. If I had the choice between a full NV upgrade with LTE 1900, or just 800 voice service, I'd take the first one. ;)

Sprint would deploy 800 now if they could. It's not their choice. But it will likely occur in the future when whatever is limiting them to use their SMR spectrum is resolved.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

• Like 2

Nothing new being reported here. I've said from the very beginning of S4GRU that Puerto Rico would not get 800MHz deployment initially. If I had the choice between a full NV upgrade with LTE 1900, or just 800 voice service, I'd take the first one. ;)

Sprint would deploy 800 now if they could. It's not their choice. But it will likely occur in the future when whatever is limiting them to use their SMR spectrum is resolved.

The first post is referring to LTE 800 specifically, so is there a chance that they will be rolling out CDMA 800 later this year or are they just unable to use their SMR spectrum in PR at all?

The first post is referring to LTE 800 specifically, so is there a chance that they will be rolling out CDMA 800 later this year or are they just unable to use their SMR spectrum in PR at all?

All the Sprint stuff I've been privy to says No 800 service in PR at all. It doesn't even reference initially. I've been saying initially, because I believe it is related to interference issues that need to worked out and/or rebanding.

• Like 1

All the Sprint stuff I've been privy to says No 800 service in PR at all. It doesn't even reference initially. I've been saying initially, because I believe it is related to interference issues that need to worked out and/or rebanding.

Well I started doing some research on this right now and I found this document from the FCC that outlines a plan to do a little bit of rebanding in the 800Mhz spectrum in PR.

As much knowledge as you have on the matter I can imagine you have seen this document already. Do you think this document may shed some light on whether it will be the clearance Sprint needs to be able to use SMR spectrum in PR?

http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-11-315A1.pdf

Well I started doing some research on this right now and I found this document from the FCC that outlines a plan to do a little bit of rebanding in the 800Mhz spectrum in PR.

As much knowledge as you have on the matter I can imagine you have seen this document already. Do you think this document may shed some light on whether it will be the clearance Sprint needs to be able to use SMR spectrum in PR?

http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-11-315A1.pdf

I have seen that. However, it could be that plus interference issues from other countries that need to be resolved. This could take a couple of years.