Network Vision/LTE - Puerto Rico/Virgin Islands Market

Gab2012

All sites in PR are supposed to be upgraded to LTE 1900. However, they are not supposed to get LTE 800. According to one report I read, Sprint will not have 800 available in PR when they begin deployment in the SMR band.

I'm not sure if it is that they do not have 800MHz spectrum in PR, or if they do not have enough, or they cannot use it for awhile because of rebanding. Or possibly even it is an interference issue with neighboring countries. I just do not know why. Or if it is just temporary.

Robert via Samsung Note II using Forum Runner

that's too bad, 800 Mhz should have better building penetration than 1900 Mhz, right?

it would be useful here, considering 99% of all construction here is brick and mortar, cement kills signal down here... hopefully down the road they solve whatever issue prevents 800 Mhz deployment in the island

that's too bad, 800 Mhz should have better building penetration than 1900 Mhz, right?

it would be useful here, considering 99% of all construction here is brick and mortar, cement kills signal down here... hopefully down the road they solve whatever issue prevents 800 Mhz deployment in the island

800 does penetrate better than 1900. However, I used to live in an adobe building. It didn't like 850 nor 1900. I had to go to a window with either. Some building types are just bad for RF no matter what. Brick/Block buildings, especially if rebar is used in the cells, is pretty tough on all RF. It just really depends on a lot of factors. In building reception is always highly variable. 1900 near a tower will be better than 800 far from a tower inside a building, etc., etc.

Robert

• Like 1

800 does penetrate better than 1900. However, I used to live in an adobe building. It didn't like 850 nor 1900. I had to go to a window with either. Some building types are just bad for RF no matter what. Brick/Block buildings, especially if rebar is used in the cells, is pretty tough on all RF. It just really depends on a lot of factors. In building reception is always highly variable. 1900 near a tower will be better than 800 far from a tower inside a building, etc., etc.

Robert

Another detail is that Puerto Rico has a lot of mountainous terrain there are tall hills everywhere. 800 would definitely have helped in the coverage department.

Well, I am sitting here at San Juan airport enjoying a little bit of this lte goodness. Both my gnex and my evo are connecting just fine. Actually, I am a little shocked my evo is connecting being that the signal is somewhat low. Anyway, hopefully I get the same luck when I get to DC in a few hours.

• Like 4

All sites in PR are supposed to be upgraded to LTE 1900. However, they are not supposed to get LTE 800. According to one report I read, Sprint will not have 800 available in PR when they begin deployment in the SMR band.

I'm not sure if it is that they do not have 800MHz spectrum in PR, or if they do not have enough, or they cannot use it for awhile because of rebanding. Or possibly even it is an interference issue with neighboring countries. I just do not know why. Or if it is just temporary.

Robert via Samsung Note II using Forum Runner

It's pretty odd what is or isn't going on there regarding SMR spectrum on the island. According to the quarterly progress report: http://www.800ta.org/content/reporting/QPR_06.30.12.pdf they seem to be making excellent progress in regards to rebanding. Hopefully their 800MHz plans for Puerto Rico will be revealed in the near future.

• Like 1

Robert

Yep, just had new windows installed and I opted for the E glass or whatever it is as it wasn't much more. I noticed my wifi doesn't go to my neighbors house 3 houses down the road. Didn't realize the signal used the windows that much to get out of the house.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

• Like 1

I notice a tower marked as complete 3G/4G in the interactive maps, not far away from my house. Some people mapped a route using that tower in sensorly, but I never picked up LTE signal or better 3G speeds from that tower. Can it be it is marked complete but Sprint is blocking it ???. Also, in the maps form network.sprint.com that tower is not marked with any upgrades. The same is happening with the towers from Yabucoa, as this week I can't pickup any LTE (only eHRPD) . :confused:

HUGE update this week with 40 new sites! looking at the map, they're getting closer to the site near my home, I've also seen vehicles working at this site, so hopefully they're working on NV deployment

Is Mayagüez on that list????? I'm dying here

posted using J.A.R.V.I.S.

strictly speaking it's not a list, just points on a map, and no, the only one completed in the map is the one at Mayagüez Mall

Thanx 4 the info...... :(

I hope they dont forget about us.... Since we are an area with a couple of blind spots along the whole town.....

posted using J.A.R.V.I.S.