Network Vision/LTE - Puerto Rico/Virgin Islands Market

Gab2012

Yeah, unless you fixed your ROM it always shows 3g. Sprint accidentally over wrote the 1x icon with 3g on all of their smartphones. Imagine that!

If so, wow you get a double upgrade. 3g and 4G upgrade!

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Its the Galaxy Nexus with its crappy radios :(

I went to the sprint store and all they could offer me was an LG Viper since its a compareable model -,- (according to them )

Also the manager thinks I'm crazy and go complain about my phone because I don't have anything else to do. This is the third Galaxy Nexus I've received from them.

Edited by Gab2012

Here is a pic of a Guanica site id PR03XC038. You can see new nv equipment installed.

According to schedule 3G and LTE on this site should be up early next year. No EHRP, only EVDO and a speed test with -75 signal was 449kb.

How can you tell that it has NV already installed?

How can you tell that it has NV already installed?

nv.jpg

link to a bigger photo

http://dl.dropbox.co...46943691/nv.jpg

You can notice the difference between the new and old panels, new one are bigger and have RRU's (Radio Remote Unit) on the back.

I know waiting for LTE and NV kill us, but seen that they're getting the sites updated, looks like when 4g core and backhaul are ready we should see a lot of coverage around the island, hope so. Robert (SGRU) hasn't hear any news from PR recently but seeing NV equipment installed on some sites close to its schedule, look like good news for us.

• Like 2

Wow thanks! Really glad they already have sites upgraded with the new equipment, it brings my hopes up of seeing some LTE soon! I remember reading the backhaul could be ready as soon as August, so they could already be done with it, who knows. At least something is being done! :D

Curious to see if LTE works for you guys in PR with the current PRL.

Digi, I checked out the reason I was only getting 1x... Apparently theres a problem in the network database of Puerto Rico & the Galaxy Nexus phones. At least thats what the techs told me.

I went to 3 different sprint stores (Mayaguez, Roosevelt Ave and Fajardo) and all of the Galaxy Nexus phones were having the same issue 1x only(All of the other phones were in EVDO RevA).

I only got offered an LG viper or to wait for the engineers to fix this. I had to call to open a network ticket and the lady who answered the phone seemed to know what was wrong. She told me it would take around 72 hours to get this sorted out.

But the good news is... I got JellyBean :)

Edited by Gab2012

Digi, I checked out the reason I was only getting 1x... Apparently theres a problem in the network database of Puerto Rico & the Galaxy Nexus phones. At least thats what the techs told me.

I went to 3 different sprint stores (Mayaguez, Roosevelt Ave and Fajardo) and all of the Galaxy Nexus phones were having the same issue 1x only(All of the other phones were in EVDO RevA).

I only got offered an LG viper or to wait for the engineers to fix this. I had to call to open a network ticket and the lady who answered the phone seemed to know what was wrong. She told me it would take around 72 hours to get this sorted out.

Well I was in San Juan for a few hours on saturday for a connecting flight and my gnex and evo was on ev-do Rev A. My gnex did take about 10 minutes before it would connect to any data at all but the same thing happens when I am in St. thomas as well.

And that's with PRL 25006?

Well good news for los Boricuas with the press release we can see lte soon:

http://s4gru.com/ind...k-is-under-way/

The 4G LTE Network build is under way in the following areas:

Aguadilla-Isabela-San Sebastian, Puerto Rico

Coamo, Puerto Rico

Guayama, Puerto Rico

Mayaguez, Puerto Rico

Ponce, Puerto Rico

San German-Cabo Rojo, Puerto Rico

San Juan, Puerto Rico

Yauco, Puerto Rico

Now the question is when do we start to see these sites turned on. I'm on hold to return to sprint based on having LTE coverage in the areas I most frequent in and around San Juan. I already know those sites have reasonable sprint coverage.

Well good news for los Boricuas with the press release we can see lte soon:

http://s4gru.com/ind...k-is-under-way/

The 4G LTE Network build is under way in the following areas:

Aguadilla-Isabela-San Sebastian, Puerto Rico

Coamo, Puerto Rico

Guayama, Puerto Rico

Mayaguez, Puerto Rico

Ponce, Puerto Rico

San German-Cabo Rojo, Puerto Rico

San Juan, Puerto Rico

Yauco, Puerto Rico

Hopefully the whole metro area will get done soon including Bayamon and Guaynabo area!

• Like 1

I dont know i think that list is mising some towns because I have seen the nv equipment in other towns like luquillo, Rio grande, carolina, and manny others

It is not an exclusive list by any stretch of the imagination. It is the attempt of Sprint Marketing people picking out cities on a map looking at schedules.

Robert

• Like 1

A good reason why they choose some of those cities is because they only have 1 to 3 towers and they can say they completed a whole city by just upgrading a couple of towers. Except for Mayaguez, Ponce and San Juan which do have a lot more towers. Yauco only has 1 tower getting NV according to the map in the sponsor section!

Just cheked and San Sebastian doesnt even have any towers there getting NV according to the sponsor map!

It is not an exclusive list by any stretch of the imagination. It is the attempt of Sprint Marketing people picking out cities on a map looking at schedules.

Robert

thanks for keping us well informed

Well I was in San Juan for a few hours on saturday for a connecting flight and my gnex and evo was on ev-do Rev A. My gnex did take about 10 minutes before it would connect to any data at all but the same thing happens when I am in St. thomas as well.

San Juan, St Thomas.... Stop bragging, Bro. ;)

• Like 1

I think someone is feeding you a line of bull on the database thing.

I don't know what it is man, I went to 3 different sprint stores and the galaxy nexus phones were having the same issue. I called CS about it and they told me that samsung devices had a different way of connecting to sites and needed to be configured by the engineers.

At least the lady from CS is calling me every day to give me updates on the situation instead of saying "we're making network improvements"

She told me she would call me tonight so lets see what happens.

I don't know what it is man, I went to 3 different sprint stores and the galaxy nexus phones were having the same issue. I called CS about it and they told me that samsung devices had a different way of connecting to sites and needed to be configured by the engineers.

At least the lady from CS is calling me every day to give me updates on the situation instead of saying "we're making network improvements"

She told me she would call me tonight so lets see what happens.

I can't speak for the gs3 but there is definitely a problem with the gnex connecting with data. When I am in st. thomas(and PR) if I reset both my evo and my gnex, my evo will connect to 3g right away but it would take anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes, if not longer, for my gnex to finally connect to 3g. There is definitely an issue specific to the gnex for sure(in the PR/VI market).

• Like 1

But then the Evo LTE has a problem staying connected with LTE back in the ConUS? Sprint really needs to get on their OEMs to get their firmwares or whatever the problem is sorted out.

Yes the evo did have an lte connection issue but the latest OTA helped quite a bit. Its still not 100% but its a lot better than what it was.

• Like 1