Network Vision/LTE - Puerto Rico/Virgin Islands Market

Gab2012

That's a bad location. I sent many reports on sprint zone. That's a heavy traffic area. Airport, hotels, dmv, coast Guard base, University and schools and more in a square mile. If you look on top of the Marriott there is a lot of cell equipment from other carriers. Sprint needs a small cell there.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Skip the small cells. They need a macro cell site and b26/b41.

Don't understand how they can offer 50% off and calls drop, data speeds are poor and horrible signal strength. All this at an airport. Sigh....

Skip the small cells. They need a macro cell site and b26/b41.

Don't understand how they can offer 50% off and calls drop, data speeds are poor and horrible signal strength. All this at an airport. Sigh....

I would love a macro and b26. There's no b26 in Puerto Rico though. I can't recommend Sprint for now until all towers get upgraded here and some more sites added.

I would love a macro and b26. There's no b26 in Puerto Rico though. I can't recommend Sprint for now until all towers get upgraded here and some more sites added.

Seems like GSM carriers reign supreme in Puerto Rico.
  • Like 1

Just spent 10 days in PR. Drove around the entire Island. Only in the SJ metro and major roads is Sprint halfway descent. Overall, it was a poor experience. Many dead and roaming areas in Humacao, Isabela and Rincon. Long way to go.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just spent 10 days in PR. Drove around the entire Island. Only in the SJ metro and major roads is Sprint halfway descent. Overall, it was a poor experience. Many dead and roaming areas in Humacao, Isabela and Rincon. Long way to go.

Exactly!

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Well.  Mr. Son needs to start using Gilat satellites to help Sprint specially here.. Another way could be Google making a deal with local operators open mobile and claro, i think both.We need in building coverage and in the center of the island... 

Well. Mr. Son needs to start using Gilat satellites to help Sprint specially here.. Another way could be Google making a deal with local operators open mobile and claro, i think both.We need in building coverage and in the center of the island...

When pigs fly..

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Tmo not much advantage over Sprint here . They dont have low band. they use aws for 3g and lte right? more or less like Sprint

Better coverage and lte speeds that are never slow. Other then that they are very similar.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know where this idea is coming from that Sprint is not going to spend money on the network. It seems to come down to two things, the drop off in capital spend after much for NV 1.0 and 2.0 are completed, and the further drop off in capital spend this year beyond their projections. But there was ALWAYS going to be a drop off in capital spending once NV 1.0 was substantially completed and most of the urban sites got their 8T8R NV 2.0 gear. And the drop from this year's budget was already discussed by Sprint executives, some expenditures for small cells and 8T8R gear that was originally going to be billed this year will actually be billed in the first quarter of next year. 

On a fundamental level, while Sprint has some areas that aren't up to NV1.0 standards due to issues getting 800Mhz cleared, issues with GMO conversion, and sites that cannot support the equipment, most of the footprint is complete or has the equipment ready for NV1.0 once these individual issues are resolved.

What is left is mostly NV2.0/Cleawire site conversion, which is well underway, and incrementally improving the quality of the existing coverage footprint with small cell deployments. Sprint has a ways to go before they are ready for macro scale coverage growth, outside of the need for license protection in areas like ND, SD, MT, and WY. The only other macro growth I can see will be organically as they move to limit the cost of roaming in certain areas. 

• Like 2

I don't know where this idea is coming from that Sprint is not going to spend money on the network. It seems to come down to two things, the drop off in capital spend after much for NV 1.0 and 2.0 are completed, and the further drop off in capital spend this year beyond their projections. But there was ALWAYS going to be a drop off in capital spending once NV 1.0 was substantially completed and most of the urban sites got their 8T8R NV 2.0 gear. And the drop from this year's budget was already discussed by Sprint executives, some expenditures for small cells and 8T8R gear that was originally going to be billed this year will actually be billed in the first quarter of next year.

On a fundamental level, while Sprint has some areas that aren't up to NV1.0 standards due to issues getting 800Mhz cleared, issues with GMO conversion, and sites that cannot support the equipment, most of the footprint is complete or has the equipment ready for NV1.0 once these individual issues are resolved.

What is left is mostly NV2.0/Cleawire site conversion, which is well underway, and incrementally improving the quality of the existing coverage footprint with small cell deployments. Sprint has a ways to go before they are ready for macro scale coverage growth, outside of the need for license protection in areas like ND, SD, MT, and WY. The only other macro growth I can see will be organically as they move to limit the cost of roaming in certain areas.

And backhaul...

• 3 weeks later...