Network Vision/LTE - Puerto Rico/Virgin Islands Market

Gab2012

Band 41 needs to come to the Virgin Islands, during the day you are guaranteed to get better data service on 3g than you would on lte.

Band 41 needs to come to the Virgin Islands, during the day you are guaranteed to get better data service on 3g than you would on lte.

When I was in St. Thomas, speeds were poor but still better than what everyone else around me had.

When I was in St. Thomas, speeds were poor but still better than what everyone else around me had.

Which part of the island where you on and what day of the week was it?  

Which part of the island where you on and what day of the week was it?

I was by Magen's Bay and it was on a weekday this winter. I don't recall which day exactly though.

EDIT: Phone autocorrected Magen to Maven.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Does St. Thomas have the larger pipes coming in to acomódate more speed? Given the low number of towers seems like upgrading makes huge sense.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure Sprint opted for microwave for the island since the challenging terrain makes it hard to deploy fiber to each tower. My guess is that they have one fat pipe going to the island that feeds most of the towers on it. They probably need to scale it up though to accommodate the growing data needs of pretty much everybody.

I'm pretty sure Sprint opted for microwave for the island since the challenging terrain makes it hard to deploy fiber to each tower. My guess is that they have one fat pipe going to the island that feeds most of the towers on it. They probably need to scale it up though to accommodate the growing data needs of pretty much everybody.

Yeah, figured you were on the north side of the island.  The problem is that the majority of the businesses and people on st. thomas work on the south side of the island which is basically Charlotte Amalie, not only that but thats where all the cruiseships and tourists are so those sectors are constantly flooded with traffic.   On any given day you will probably average 0.2mb down and up where as you can consistently get much more than that on 3g.  

• Like 1

The same main fiber lines that feed Puerto Rico must then go on to st. Thomas and the islands I would assume.

The same main fiber lines that feed Puerto Rico must then go on to st. Thomas and the islands I would assume.

Yeah, I'm certain fiber goes to the main tower on mountain top and microwave to the other towers on the island from there.
  • Like 1

Well .. i talk two days ago with a crown castle project manager  in the pr 349 . Claro is building first carrier 700 mhz at  that tower Att already add fourth and fifth carrier lte and Sprint has first carrier lte..He said Att has a big advantage in the island .also they have DAS at plaza las americas..and the mall of san juan is next....

Well .. i talk two days ago with a crown castle project manager in the pr 349 . Claro is building first carrier 700 mhz at that tower Att already add fourth and fifth carrier lte and Sprint has first carrier lte..He said Att has a big advantage in the island .also they have DAS at plaza las americas..and the mall of san juan is next....

Was at mall of San Juan yesterday and Sprint was barely usable. Lots of roaming especially in stores. Sprint and T Mobile are only carriers out of 5 in PR with no low band. Outside service was good. Plaza had some issues as well. B26 is really needed here.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Was at mall of San Juan yesterday and Sprint was barely usable. Lots of roaming especially in stores. Sprint and T Mobile are only carriers out of 5 in PR with no low band. Outside service was good. Plaza had some issues as well. B26 is really needed here.

Give the use of cement in Puerto Rico we definitely need lower bands. I think t-mobile does have lower spectrum from the failed ATT deal.

Give the use of cement in Puerto Rico we definitely need lower bands. I think t-mobile does have lower spectrum from the failed ATT deal.

Nah, T-Mobile didn't get any low band spectrum from the collapse of the At&t deal, only AWS-1. They got their low band spectrum by purchasing 700A from Verizon (and one 850 cellular license in South Carolina from purchasing Suncom). I don't believe that Verizon had 700A spectrum in Puerto Rico to sell so T-Mobile still doesn't have low band spectrum there.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So Sprint is sitting out of the 600mhz auction....but here  where sprint  dont have 700. nor the smr 800 ., 600 would solve a lot of problems.  .Well sprint doesnot have 700mhz anywhere. 

So Sprint is sitting out of the 600mhz auction....but here  where sprint  dont have 700. nor the smr 800 ., 600 would solve a lot of problems.  .Well sprint doesnot have 700mhz anywhere. 

If your ok with waiting till about 2020 for 600Mhz...Sure..

I think them deploying more B25/41 is smarter choice.

If your ok with waiting till about 2020 for 600Mhz...Sure..

I think them deploying more B25/41 is smarter choice.

I wish someone could find out what happened at the 800 MHz auction in December. It's much needed here. You enter most places and you drop to 3g or roaming.

<p>Service in Aguadilla & Aguada is awful! Can't maintain LTE, and when connected speeds are sub 0.5Mpbs. Luckily I'm only here on vacation<br />

<br />

I mapped quite a bit on Rootmetrics.</p>

Edited by banananuts87

July 4th in two beach towns and only 5x5 b25. Aguadilla beaches were packed today. On regular days seeing 3 Mbps avg. It's been declining since 50% off promo.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

July 4th in two beach towns and only 5x5 b25. Aguadilla beaches were packed today. On regular days seeing 3 Mbps avg. It's been declining since 50% off promo.

You also have lots of MVNO traffic on the sprint network.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I'm at the Marriott Courtyard in Aguadilla, and service is awful here and at the airport. I can be standing still and loose an LTE signal, and forget the 3G data speeds....

San Juan today wasn't too bad, although I was surprised that signal strength was so poor near El Morro. 

I'm at the Marriott Courtyard in Aguadilla, and service is awful here and at the airport. I can be standing still and loose an LTE signal, and forget the 3G data speeds....

San Juan today wasn't too bad, although I was surprised that signal strength was so poor near El Morro.

That's a bad location. I sent many reports on sprint zone. That's a heavy traffic area. Airport, hotels, dmv, coast Guard base, University and schools and more in a square mile. If you look on top of the Marriott there is a lot of cell equipment from other carriers. Sprint needs a small cell there.