Network Vision/LTE - Puerto Rico/Virgin Islands Market

Gab2012

I have seen that. However, it could be that plus interference issues from other countries that need to be resolved. This could take a couple of years.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

I guess for now customers in PR will need to reply on the improved coverage offered by the antenna mounted RRUs for a while. I was wondering if PR would benefit from Sprint SMR because my girlfriends grandma lives in the boonies in PR and whenever I go visit I can only get a little bit of signal if I go outside. So SMR would be an enormous boost in coverage around those parts.

• Like 1

I guess for now customers in PR will need to reply on the improved coverage offered by the antenna mounted RRUs for a while. I was wondering if PR would benefit from Sprint SMR because my girlfriends grandma lives in the boonies in PR and whenever I go visit I can only get a little bit of signal if I go outside. So SMR would be an enormous boost in coverage around those parts.

@elkaku If you've ever gone to Cidra you'll know what I'm talking about! :)

so sprint said it will deploy lte advance in 800 mhz in maybe the second half of 2013 but in the island wont be until we dont know when?...thats sad cause with this they will have more coverage in the inner parts of the island.

Just heard from a very trustworthy source that on jan 22 there will be 2 towers turned on on LTE... One near poblado Boquerón in Cabo Rojo and the other one in Mayagüez (this one not sure where)

Good for the west area!!!

posted using J.A.R.V.I.S.

800MHz is not the only place LTE Advanced can be used. If Sprint has another 10MHz of PCS spectrum in PR, then 800 is not needed for LTE-A at all.

Robert via Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

S4GRU do you know if Clearwire licences at 2.5ghz includes PR. ? Because i heard that a local operator name Aeronet hold the licenses in Puerto Rico.

We do have some protection sites running wimax right now at 2.5ghz, so yeah I would think so.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

800MHz is not the only place LTE Advanced can be used. If Sprint has another 10MHz of PCS spectrum in PR, then 800 is not needed for LTE-A at all.

Robert via Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Could you or anybody explain this a little more? You talking about the 10mhz LTE advance? Buildings is a real problem! In my work Im unable to make a call, Claro and AT&T works good in the same place. If I go out the building I can get full signal bars in the cell phone. I can also get LTE outside the building, so network vision really do not increase the building penetration to much. I think 800 mhz can help with this very much!!

Could you or anybody explain this a little more? You talking about the 10mhz LTE advance? Buildings is a real problem! In my work Im unable to make a call, Claro and AT&T works good in the same place. If I go out the building I can get full signal bars in the cell phone. I can also get LTE outside the building, so network vision really do not increase the building penetration to much. I think 800 mhz can help with this very much!!

You cannot say that NV doesn't help building penetration. You can only say it doesn't help with your buildings. There are 1000's of different wall and roof profiles that are used in construction and each have a differing effect on RF.

There will not be any Sprint 800MHz for awhile in PR. Also, 800 may not help much in your instance, either. The AT&T and Claro sites may be lower frequency and closer than the Sprint site. I don't know the details of your exact location.

• Like 2

You cannot say that NV doesn't help building penetration. You can only say it doesn't help with your buildings. There are 1000's of different wall and roof profiles that are used in construction and each have a differing effect on RF.

There will not be any Sprint 800MHz for awhile in PR. Also, 800 may not help much in your instance, either. The AT&T and Claro sites may be lower frequency and closer than the Sprint site. I don't know the details of your exact location.

Its ok, but how is possible than I walk outside the building and get LTE and full signal bar and I enter the building and get signal lost? And maybe is the tower distance like you said, but can't be if I get full signal outside the building, Please correct me if Im wrong? My job is in the University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras Campus. For example. In all class room of the School of Law the signal is very bad, zero LTE and a very few bars. You go out and get LTE and full bars. Claro and AT&T don't have that problem. I just make a comparison that is maybe related to the frequency but like you said, maybe is for others reasons.

Thanks for your answer!!

Its ok, but how is possible than I walk outside the building and get LTE and full signal bar and I enter the building and get signal lost? And maybe is the tower distance like you said, but can't be if I get full signal outside the building, Please correct me if Im wrong? My job is in the University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras Campus. For example. In all class room of the School of Law the signal is very bad, zero LTE and a very few bars. You go out and get LTE and full bars. Claro and AT&T don't have that problem. I just make a comparison that is maybe related to the frequency but like you said, maybe is for others reasons.

Thanks for your answer!!

First off, signal bars are poor representative of signal. I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the bars. Does it perform?

Second, the Note 2 doesn't show LTE signal strength in the bars, ever. Even when it shows the 4G icon. So you have a really weak LTE signal and not know it when you are outside.

• Like 1

First off, signal bars are poor representative of signal. I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the bars. Does it perform? Second, the Note 2 doesn't show LTE signal strength in the bars, ever. Even when it shows the 4G icon. So you have a really weak LTE signal and not know it when you are outside. Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

That's right. I live in Las Piedras, sometimes I got no signal bars in my Note 2 with the 4g icon. Using Net Monitor, it show I'm connected to a cell site in San Lorenzo ( another distant town )NID: 200 , 17202, but only for voice; I can still pull 15 megs because my LTE is connected to a cell site 226 not so distant from my house. The thing is ( and written all over in the forums) , you need to check the LTE signal in the "DEBUG" mode in the phone not the bars on your phone.

If you got the Iphone 5, it show the LTE connection strength when connected to a LTE site ( correct me if I'm wrong). My wife Iphone shows 3 bars.

• Like 1

First off, signal bars are poor representative of signal. I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the bars. Does it perform?

Second, the Note 2 doesn't show LTE signal strength in the bars, ever. Even when it shows the 4G icon. So you have a really weak LTE signal and not know it when you are outside.

You're right about the LTE, but for voice its different. Signal bars are suppose to show you real quality of the signal, or What is the purpose of the bars? But I know your point, there're multiple factors affecting the signal quality inside the building. The case is that maybe and probably with a lower frequency transmission the coverage is better. What you think?

You're right about the LTE, but for voice its different. Signal bars are suppose to show you real quality of the signal, or What is the purpose of the bars? But I know your point, there're multiple factors affecting the signal quality inside the building. The case is that maybe and probably with a lower frequency transmission the coverage is better. What you think?

Signal bars do not show quality of signal. You only need 9kbps for a good voice call. That can even be achieved at the threshold between zero and one bar if stationary in many instances.

My point is if you have Claro or ATT on low frequency and nearby, and the signal of Sprint on 800 far away, it may not provide much help. We cannot make blanket statements that 800 will definitely help your specific conditions. It may, it may not.

It will depend on how and where 800 is deployed in your area and the specifics about your specific structure.

And I'm also making the point high or low signal bars don't mean much in and of itself.

• Like 1