Network Vision/LTE - Puerto Rico/Virgin Islands Market

Gab2012

PR hasn't had "way better" broadband speeds for years...Maybe certain less populated parts of the island in the south/west had marginally better speeds, but the general metro area had been stuck with similar 500Kbps-5Mbps broadband options for a long time...

It started to turn within the last year or so, but Claro's fiber option is still only available in a few select areas. Thankfully the cable internet bandwith caps are gone (tho I would've happily settled for a cap that wasn't as unfair as 40GB) and they're offering up to 20MBps.

I think PR has actually gone thru a lot of the same backhaul issues, and not just for wireless. Hang in there, it'll get better eventually!

PR hasn't had "way better" broadband speeds for years...Maybe certain less populated parts of the island in the south/west had marginally better speeds, but the general metro area had been stuck with similar 500Kbps-5Mbps broadband options for a long time...

It started to turn within the last year or so, but Claro's fiber option is still only available in a few select areas. Thankfully the cable internet bandwith caps are gone (tho I would've happily settled for a cap that wasn't as unfair as 40GB) and they're offering up to 20MBps.

I think PR has actually gone thru a lot of the same backhaul issues, and not just for wireless. Hang in there, it'll get better eventually!

Well I guess you would definitely know better than I would since I don't live in PR but I have visited PR countless times and what I have experienced has always been a lot better than what I would get in the VI.

anybody had issues today?..i hear they configurin!...i hope this thing is soon man!

You've been hearing a lot of things lately, make sure their ain't a ghost in your house; I wouldn't want it to rape you at night.

anybody heard anything happening to boost also?...do they get lte too?..lol ill clone my one over like i did my 3d...but no roamin sucks!!

I don't see why not, I mean boost is already selling the gs3 with lte support.

Well that definitely won't work being that their lte service runs on a different frequency than the sprint's version of the One supports.

Any service that use Sprint service will get LTE service; is: boost or virgin mobile. CDMA phones and GSM networks are incompatible, visa versa, GSM phones and CDMA networks. If your One can take a sim card then it won't work on a CDMA network (Sprint, boost, virgin mobile, Verizon, etc), if it doesn't have a sim card slot then it cannot be used on GSM network (ATT, T-Mobile, etc).

Any service that use Sprint service will get LTE service; is: boost or virgin mobile. CDMA phones and GSM networks are incompatible, visa versa, GSM phones and CDMA networks. If your One can take a sim card then it won't work on a CDMA network (Sprint, boost, virgin mobile, Verizon, etc), if it doesn't have a sim card slot then it cannot be used on GSM network (ATT, T-Mobile, etc).

Well the sprint One is a world phone and it does have a sim card.  As a matter of fact if you remove the sim card you won't have lte service only 3g.  You can get it to work on other gsm carriers by getting it unlocked through sprint but your data service will be limited to whatever 3g frequencies are supported between the One and whatever carrier.

So we're waiting on the fiber optic?

Well basically yeah thats what they been putting down all over the island which I am sure will run through puerto rico.

False.

There are two different entities running fiber (one of which is also running coax) all around our islands.

The one that you are most likely referring to is viNGN (Virgin Islands Next Generation Network) who is building out an all fiber network across all four Virgin Islands (yes, even Water Island gets love too!). Their network will be middle mile only without any last mile build out (except to the Gov't, schools, libraries, and the "Public Computing Centers" that are part of the project). Last mile coverage will be left up to current and future ISPs. They are the ones who are responsible for tearing up almost all our roads around the islands to lay conduit. Their network rollout is far from complete and it is extremely unlikely that Sprint plans to tie into it at any point in the near future. Also, for the time being, viNGN will get bandwidth from Global Crossing's Tier 1 submarine cables that make that landfall on St. Croix and lease fiber capacity from AT&T to connect St. Thomas (Magens Point) to St. Croix. In the future viNGN will build out their own submarine fiber system to connect all four islands together with redundant fibers (they were just granted a Submarine Cable Landing License by the FCC for this purpose). As St Croix has one of the largest concentrations of bandwith (and if I am not mistaken the largest concentration of unused bandwith) in the world there will be no cables run to Puerto Rico.

The other entity is Innovative whom is in the process of converting their entire system (both telephone and cable) to a HFC (Hybrid Fiber Coax) system. They will be eliminating POTS and DSL over copper entirely; essentially a completely new network. They will run fiber links to PoP's in different areas on each island and then locally run coax. They laid their fiber using microtrenching alongside the roads, using existing underground infrastructure, and aerial runs in certain areas. The coax part of the system seems to be mostly aerial unless there was existing underground infrastructure (downtown Charlotte Amalie for instance). They get bandwidth from several separate providers that make landfall in St. Croix (and possibly St. Thomas; not sure though). In all likelihood Sprint will not be using them for their backhaul either.

The most likely backhaul solution Sprint is employing between Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands (also within each island) is microwave. Sprint's PR/VI market had been previously been exclusively serviced by microwave backhauls. There can be many things that may delay the rollout of microwave links such as FCC licensing or waiting on equipment/installation, even tower leases...

Perhaps @Robert has something to add on the last piece of this 4G puzzle...

-Eliezer P.

Posted from my LG Optimus G.

Edited by eliezerlp
  • Like 3

False.

There are two different entities running fiber (one of which is also running coax) all around our islands.

The one that you are most likely referring to is viNGN (Virgin Islands Next Generation Network) who is building out an all fiber network across all four Virgin Islands (yes, even Water Island gets love too!). Their network will be middle mile only without any last mile build out (except to the Gov't, schools, libraries, and the "Public Computing Centers" that are part of the project). Last mile coverage will be left up to current and future ISPs. They are the ones who are responsible for tearing up almost all our roads around the islands to lay conduit. Their network rollout is far from complete and it is extremely unlikely that Sprint plans to tie into it at any point in the near future. Also, for the time being, viNGN will get bandwidth from Global Crossing's Tier 1 submarine cables that make that landfall on St. Croix and lease fiber capacity from AT&T to connect St. Thomas (Magens Point) to St. Croix. In the future viNGN will build out their own submarine fiber system to connect all four islands together with redundant fibers (they were just granted a Submarine Cable Landing License by the FCC for this purpose). As St Croix has one of the largest concentrations of bandwith (and if I am not mistaken the largest concentration of unused bandwith) in the world there will be no cables run to Puerto Rico.

The other entity is Innovative whom is in the process of converting their entire system (both telephone and cable) to a HFC (Hybrid Fiber Coax) system. They will be eliminating POTS and DSL over copper entirely; essentially a completely new network. They will run fiber links to PoP's in different areas on each island and then locally run coax. They laid their fiber using microtrenching alongside the roads, using existing underground infrastructure, and aerial runs in certain areas. The coax part of the system seems to be mostly aerial unless there was existing underground infrastructure (downtown Charlotte Amalie for instance). They get bandwidth from several separate providers that make landfall in St. Croix (and possibly St. Thomas; not sure though). In all likelihood Sprint will not be using them for their backhaul either.

The most likely backhaul solution Sprint is employing between Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands (also within each island) is microwave. Sprint's PR/VI market had been previously been exclusively serviced by microwave backhauls. There can be many things that may delay the rollout of microwave links such as FCC licensing or waiting on equipment/installation, even tower leases...

Perhaps @Robert has something to add on the last piece of this 4G puzzle...

-Eliezer P.

Thank you for the informative post, I am familiar with most of what you said but the part thats in bold I am not sure about.  So let me ask you a question, are you saying that sprints current(and future) backhaul are(will be) microwave links from puerto rico?  Because I don't think thats the case at all.

Thank you for the informative post, but let me ask you a question, are you saying that sprints current(and future) backhaul are(will be) microwave links from puerto rico?

I believe that to be correct currently and in the near future (also doesn't make much sense to switch away from MW once built out as most of the costs are upfront with low ongoing costs)...

Per Sprint regarding NV in general: "From the base station we'll have packet-base Backhaul using highly scalable, Ethernet and IP network leveraging both microwave and fiber optic technologies."

Here in the VI fiber is simply not available yet, especially not to the towers...

Per ljtmax's comment on this blog post (http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-92-puerto-ricovirgin-islands-is-scheduled-to-be-in-the-second-round-of-sprint-network-visionlte-deployment-in-2012or-is-it-sooner/) also in agreement:

[…] Part of the challenge with the islands is that up until now, 98% of the backhaul was via microwave only and that will definitely continue - specifically for USVI - as fiber had been lacking but is gaining ground quickly, especially with the recent Centennial/AT&T acquisition, which Sprint is now looking to leverage even though it sounds counterintuitive. The fact is that regardless of the carrier or location, the throughput required to provide LTE data speeds can only be accomplished via microwave or fiber. I mention this only because I've noticed other posts curious as to why and where LTE gets deployed and the part of the answer is because it's where the backhaul either exists or can be built quickly. In order to "upgrade" a network, you have to maintain the existing or "legacy" network and the challenges there are many... existing RAD (antenna) heights, lease space for co-locating equipment, renegotiation for lease space with rooftop/tower owners, etc., the list goes on... […]

-Eliezer P.

Edited by eliezerlp
  • Like 1

Ever since Liberty bought Onelink, I have seen a great boost in competition in the island. Claro only used to offer up to 4mbps a couple of years back and it was very expensive. Now they go up to 50mbps. This started when Liberty started offering their 30mbps speeds, and once they bought Onelink, it greatly improved their offers. We used to pay about $140 for cable, 4 mbps internet with 40gb cap, and a phone landline with Onelink. Since Libery took over, the cap is gone, they increased my internet speed to 6mbps, then they automatically up'd it to 10mbps, HD boxes in various rooms etc... all for the same price. Gotta love competition :)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, it sounds totally counter intuitive to suggest that a larger cable co monopoly has actually improved things, but it has (so far...). The only thing I can really take away from that is that Onelink/Adelphia management were a bunch of idiots. Liberty turned thingsaround for them ridiculously quick.

Maybe if we sacrifice you, Sprint will give us LTE.

i dont think that might work...cuz i always have info! :D

Since the beginning of the thread, I have never seen any info posted on your behalf. And if you did have information why not post it?

A saying here in Puerto Rico, "Sabes tanto que sabes a mierda"

• Like 1

Since the beginning of the thread, I have never seen any info posted on your behalf. And if you did have information why not post it?

A saying here in Puerto Rico, "Sabes tanto que sabes a mierda"

whatt???..i always post info about the tower **** once i get....since i got here i always had stuff to say about it...i try not to get in deep cuz these islands are small..n i cant be puttin ppl on the spot when info isnt even supposed to be leaked out

if u know so much..tell me what i dont know o great one!..since i dont know they been having trouble programming the microwaves from pr due to frequency issues...and that when they are testing..my phone switches to lte internally...haha get outta here man..wanna stick ur nose in **** nobody asked u about!

Cool it, guys.  Several of you need to quit talking "shit."

This is your warning.  If the behavior continues, you will be subject to disciplinary action. 

AJ

• Like 5