Parev

Should Sprint iPhone get same reception as other Sprint phones?

Hi

I've found the forum very useful, especially because I'm a newbie when it comes to cellular.

I don't have my own cell phone. I have a company provided Blackberry 9330 on Sprint. I get very good signal at my work, at home, and at other places I frequent.

As I read the forums, I'm learning that there is some variation between frequencies and other cell technologies. This concerns me because I'm looking at getting the new iPhone when it comes out, and I was considering Sprint since my Sprint Blackberry has worked great for me.

Should I anticipate that the Sprint iPhone would also have good signal for me or do I really need to test this some other way before I take the plunge and buy?

Any help would be appreciated!

I used to have Blackberry tour and the signal was too good in my work place, then upgraded to iPhone 4s the signal dropped and internet suck too. then I decided to buy Samsung s3. I don't have the issue any more. I highly recommended to get LTE phone !!

LTE iPhone cool. But Im personally waiting for a even better phone in 2013!

LTE iPhone cool. But Im personally waiting for a even better phone in 2013!

I think I'm going to wait for the next HTC phone. Mostly just so it'll have 800 & 2500mhz LTE.

• Like 1

Currently, I have the iPhone 4S for my personal phone and BB 9930 for my work phone (both on Sprint). My iPhone seems to always have better signal than my Blackberry. Heck, my old Bold 9650 was horrible with dropping calls. Seems like these newer Blackberries don't seem to have great call quality/signal. :wacko:

My wife has the 4s and she constantly gets better reception than I do with either my s3 or evo lte. It is very frustrating when she can use her phone and I can't.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I have gotten to the point where I would like some help with a question. Is the antenna in the 4s superior in performance to the new LTE devices such as the S3 and EVO LTE? My wife has a 4s and i have both an S3 and EVO LTE and she is able to use her phone in buildings around town where I can't and she consistently gets better reception. My house sits about 900 feet from a NV tower (3g and 4g work done but LTE currently blocked) and on my wife's phone she always has full signal (I don't know of a way to get the actual dcBm reading on her phone) while my S3 and EVO LTE hover between -98 and -84 dBm (mostly -98). While on vacation in PA she was always able to roam with decent reception (2-3 bars) where I would get 0-1. I really prefer Android to iOS but am getting to the point where I am going to buy an iPhone so that I can use my phone in places that she is able to. Anyone (WiWavelength, digiblur, robert etc) able to shed some light on this? Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

The iPhone 4/4S has external antennas (the silver bands around the edges of the device). While these antennas have been problematic, as they can easily be shorted by contact with human skin, they likely do provide a link budget (i.e. transmission/reception) advantage. And knowing how overly litigious Apple can be, it probably would sue the pants off of any other OEM that built a smartphone with external antennas.

AJ

The iPhone 4/4S has external antennas (the silver bands around the edges of the device). While these antennas have been problematic, as they can easily be shorted by contact with human skin, they likely do provide a link budget (i.e. transmission/reception) advantage. And knowing how overly litigious Apple can be, it probably would sue the pants off of any other OEM that built a smartphone with external antennas.

AJ

That makes sense and I should have put 2 and 2 together as I am aware of the external antenna. Face palm. Thanks for the input.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• large.unreadcontent.png.6ef00db54e758d06

• gallery_1_23_9202.png

• Similar Content

• By mdob07
      Its almost time for the next iteration of Samsung's Galaxy Phones! I'm planning on pre-ordering either the S20+ or Ultra. Current Rumors have it going on Pre-order February 11.  Let the discussion commence...

• By Paynefanbro
      I was taking a look at the HTC 5G Hub that's supposed to be launching on Sprint sometime this month. It looks like it could technically be Sprint's first foray into the WISP space. On HTC's site they mention it as a sort of replacement for your WiFi router with the ability to connect up to 20 devices to it. I wonder what data caps will be on this when it launches and what they plan on charging people for using it?
      It seems to be a lot of things smashed into one device. It's combining a wireless router, a streaming box, and a cloud gaming device all into one. It also has support for pretty much every U.S. LTE band.
      https://www.htc.com/us/5g/htc-5g-hub/ 
    • By lilotimz
      Samsung Network Vision equipment are highly distinct and fairly easy to spot compared to the equipment that other vendors are deploying. Sprint is Samsung's first extremely massive American contract (baring Clearwire) so there  should be no issues in confusing these equipment for another carrier which happens often with Ericsson NV equipment.

Below are images of Samsung equipment which includes antennas, remote radio units, base stations, and their mounting configurations. 

Samsung antenna with eSMR 800 RRU & PCS 1900 RRU

A close look at a Samsung setup

Next Generation Samsung Configuration
      RRH-P4 4T4R 1.9 GHz  | RRH-C4 4T4R 800 MHz| RRH-V3 2.5 GHz

Next Generation 8 Port Dual Band Antenna Setup 
      4 port 800 MHz RRH-C4 800

(source: dkyeager)

(source: dkyeager)
      Narrow beam setup

High Capacity Site with 2 Antennas & 3 RRUs (2x PCS & 1x SMR).
      Second antenna is PCS only for now.

Canadian IBEZ (NO SMR)

Special Case PCS Only Setup for Canadian IBEZ

Close up of standard antenna connectors 

Samsung Cabinets

Powerpoint slides from Samsung / Sprint
      *disclaimer - all  powerpoint diagrams and images were found through public municipality online databases and is by no means misappropriated through malicious means*
      *Credit goes to those whom took pictures of these equipment. You know who you are*
    • By MacinJosh
      iPhone XS and XS Max are Apple's newest flagship phones, and the successors to Apple's 2017 iPhone X. They have the new A12 Bionic chip, improved cameras and faster FaceID, and come in a beautiful Gold Stainless Steel finish in addition to the Silver & Space Gray options. They are available in the same 5.8" Super Retina display as with the X, and the bigger 6.5" Super Retina. They are available in 64GB, 256GB, and 512GB configurations.
      Apple added Dual SIM technology to the 2018 iPhone's, with one physical SIM, and one eSIM. (eSIM feature not currently supported by Sprint, but is said to be coming later). These phones also feature IP68 water-resistance (iPhone X was IP67) which gives you protection in water for up to 30 minutes in up to 2m of water.
    • By Paynefanbro
      I recently went on an 8 day cruise from NYC to the Caribbean that stopped in Turks and Caicos, Puerto Rico, and the Dominican Republic. My first stop was Grand Turk and there I opted for the free roaming. My S9+ automatically connected to Flow's (Cable & Wireless) LTE network where I received speeds of around 120kbps on average with boosts of up to 150kbps. Something worth noting is that on speed tests, the server prefers to default to Sprint's Miami server as opposed to local servers. Speeds were more than adequate for any amount of web browsing and honestly felt much faster than in reality. It helps that using Chrome will save you data by not loading pictures on certain sites unless you click them.
      In Puerto Rico, I connected to Band 13 on the way into the port in San Juan but once I was in the city, my phone never left Band 41. While the phone was usable, speeds remained significantly lower than what I've come to expect from 3xCA in the mainland U.S. Data speeds peaked at around 25-30Mbos but on average were in the 5-10 Mbps range even on LTE+. Signal remained strong everywhere though. 
      Finally in the Dominican Republic, I entered in Amber Cover which is in Puerto Plata. My phone latched onto a weak Band 2 LTE signal in the port from Altice (called Orange Dominicana in SignalCheck). I had trouble loading pages though. Once off of the ship and out in the open, I had a much stronger signal which allowed me to browse the internet without a hitch. Because it was the last day of my trip, while at the beach I decided to purchase the 24 hour high speed pass for $5. My speeds went from 120kbps to 65Mbps in less than 5 seconds. In some areas speeds were slower, particularly at the port where it struggled to break 2Mbps. Now, back on the boat my phone is flipping between weak Band 4 LTE and overloaded Band 5 HSPA+ from Claro (called Verizon Dominicana in SignalCheck Pro). Here is the difference in speed from before and after purchasing the high speed pass. 
    • It seems really big to me, but I have to admit I'm considering it.  The dual screen thing seems moderately interesting.  I'd be interested in trying it out.  EDIT:  But Best Buy has the G8X on sale right now at a very sensible price.  It's comparable in size to my G6, versus the V60 which, having looked at the dimensions, seems enormous by comparison.  My G6 is already at the very top end of what would fit in my hand.  If I got the V60, it'd be solely for the ability to use 5G, which I don't really need other than for tracking purposes--and right now, I think it's pretty safe to assume that a site with 600 MHz LTE on T-Mobile or a Massive MIMO antenna on Sprint is running 5G without having to prove it that way. - Trip
    • Official LG intro video:  
    • Any thoughts on the included dual-screen? Doesn't seem like something I'd use, would be nice to have an option where it's not included, maybe for a slightly lower price.  Battery size is nice! LG lagged a little behind on the battery for the G series for a while. https://www.cnet.com/news/hands-on-lg-v60-thinq-5g-with-8k-video-and-dual-screen/