When will Sprint have phones that can tap into lte on 800MHz/1900MHz/2500MHz?

I currently have the sprint gsII variant on their wimax network in the Los Angeles area and I intend to stay with it until late 2013 (I was waiting for this phone to be released on sprint and bought it the day it was released).

But I am wondering what will be available as an option when it's time for a new phone. From what I have been able to gather, sprints first lte roll out will only take advantage of the 1900MHz spectrum allocation, so all current sprint lte phones will ONLY have radios that can tap that vein and nothing more.

But I've also read that sprint is currently refarming their dismantled IDEN on 800MHz and setting a portion for LTE in the future, along with relying on clearwire to transition portions of its 2500MHz spectrum to lte...

So... when will phones be available that have radios that can tap into ALL of sprints upcoming LTE veins? Those would seem to be the phones with the best POSSIBLE connectivity on sprint. I would not mind if some of the frequencies were dark and not active at the time of purchase, so long as the phone had the radios that could take advantage of the added frequencies when they went online that would be perfect.

Is there any information on any of this?

The last device roadmap I saw said that Sprint was planning to offer devices that supported LTE 1900, LTE 800 and LTE 2600 in Q2 2013. However, it is not known if the very first multiple LTE band device will just be LTE 1900/800 or LTE 1900/2600, and then tri-band LTE 1900/800/2600 later. We will have to see.

Robert

• Like 2

The Galaxy S3 says in the specs that it is 800/1900? Is this false?

I think that the specs are 1900 1xRTT, EVDO, LTE and 800 1xAdvanced for Sprint. All Sprint phones can also roam on VZW 850. If I'm wrong, someone please feel free to correct me :)

• Like 2

So of what you mentioned I know what EVDO and LTE is. Could you explain the others?

But I think I understand now, the S3 might support the 800 band but maybe for calls and not data etc while it only supports LTE on the 1900 band. The initial question was when will phones come out that support LTE on more bands than 1900...i think i get it now

So of what you mentioned I know what EVDO and LTE is. Could you explain the others?

But I think I understand now' date=' the S3 might support the 800 band but maybe for calls and not data etc while it only supports LTE on the 1900 band. The initial question was when will phones come out that support LTE on more bands than 1900...i think i get it now[/quote']

See the FAQ here http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1704-frequently-asked-questions/ for definitions.

To clarify, the Galaxy S-III supports:

CDMA 1x/EVDO: 800MHz (SMR), 850MHz (Cellular) and 1900MHz (PCS)

LTE: 1900MHz (PCS)

That it's. It does not support LTE on 800, not LTE on 2600.

Robert

I hope they get the 800 band on the next nexus. I saw today's note 2 announcement and was not impressed.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

You're probably not the only one. I'd just as soon purchase the previous generation Note and save a few bucks.

• 2 months later...

So my question is should i wait for a phone that support 800 mhz LTE and tri mode? Or will i be alrite if i buy a phone that just support 1900Mhz LTE and most of my data comes from my wifi and i do travel, so for traveling should i wait for a tri mode?

So my question is should i wait for a phone that support 800 mhz LTE and tri mode? Or will i be alrite if i buy a phone that just support 1900Mhz LTE and most of my data comes from my wifi and i do travel, so for traveling should i wait for a tri mode?

For voice you will see no difference in coverage. Current LTE smartphones support CDMA at 800 which is better than the old sprint devices which only supported CDMA at 1900. This will give you better rural and in-bilding voice coverage than older phones had. This technology is being deployed right now and will be present in the vast majority of Sprint's coverage area by the end of 2013.

However for LTE data you will get faster speeds in crowded areas and better rural coverage with a tri-mode device. LTE at 2500 has more capacity for those crowded areas (like at a concert or sporting event) while LTE at 800 will provide expanded rural coverage.

I expect to start seeing these devices around March of next year. There will likely be no LTE 800/1900/2500 device this year. That being said, Sprint will not start deploying LTE 800 until at least after June 30 of 2013. You will see no benefit until after your area is upgraded which may not be until your next upgrade anyway.

It's up to clearwire to deploy LTE at 2500 assuming they dont get bought out which means, don't count on it (for a while).

• Like 1

ok sounds good, so im thinking about getting the Samsung galaxy note 2, will i be fine with this phone or should i wait?

And my other question is does 1900mhz compare to 800mhz or even 2500mhz, does this mean more download and upload speed's or just more distances to cover more better coverage?

Because if its just more distance than i guess ill be fine with the galaxy note 2 and i lived in the state of Rhode Island?

Edited by LeroyDoggett

For 2500, LTE could be faster depending on how they deploy it but it's coverage range is extremely limited. It's intended for confined areas like cell sites near fairgrounds and concert halls. It will not be deployed everywhere.

LTE 800 and 1900 will be the same speed as long as you have the same signal strength and neither are burdened. The advantage LTE 800 has is coverage. Look at how much area a verizon LTE site covers vs. how much area a current Sprint 1900 LTE site covers and you will see the difference.

For living in Rhode Island it will still make a difference despite being in an urban area. The 800 band also travels deeper into buildings, so if you are in a basement or in the center of a large building you will get better signal from the 800 band.

As for devices the Note 2 is about as good as they come except for one feature. You can't talk and use data at the same time over 3G like you can with a Galaxy S 3.

• Like 1

So if im understanding rite if i get the samsung galaxy note 2 800mhz radio in the note 2 is for voice, so for voice calls ill get great coverage inside a house, but since the note 2 only have the 1900mhz radio its going to depends were im at and how close im to the cell site to get lte in my house running on the 1900mhz and the best possible speeds ?

What does txt and picture message is that data?

...its going to depends were im at and how close im to the cell site to get lte in my house running on the 1900mhz and the best possible speeds ?

Why do you need LTE inside your house? You should already have broadband Internet access and offload to Wi-Fi.

MMS is counted as data, but SMS is not.

AJ

• Like 1

So if im understanding rite if i get the samsung galaxy note 2 800mhz radio in the note 2 is for voice, so for voice calls ill get great coverage inside a house, but since the note 2 only have the 1900mhz radio its going to depends were im at and how close im to the cell site to get lte in my house running on the 1900mhz and the best possible speeds ?

With a Note 2 you will get calls, texts and 2G data at 800mhz. You will get 3G and 4G data on the 1900 MHz band.

800 travels further and deeper into buildings.

If you have 3G coverage from Sprint now you will likely get usable LTE data in the future (on the 1900 band) unless your current 3G signal is low.

2 klatapaT gnisu III S yxalaG gnusmaS ym morf tnes

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I think that the specs are 1900 1xRTT, EVDO, LTE and 800 1xAdvanced for Sprint. All Sprint phones can also roam on VZW 850. If I'm wrong, someone please feel free to correct me

Yeah you Are correct but it also has EVDO 0n 800mhz (dont think sprint is putting EVDO Rev. A on 800mhz though). Frequinecies: 

Frequencies and Data Type

LTE: Band 25 (1900MHz); CDMA 1x/EVDO Rev A, 800/850/1900MHz

Yeah you Are correct but it also has EVDO 0n 800mhz (dont think sprint is putting EVDO Rev. A on 800mhz though). Frequinecies: 

Frequencies and Data Type

LTE: Band 25 (1900MHz); CDMA 1x/EVDO Rev A, 800/850/1900MHz

Holy bump batman!

• Like 3