I visited Chicago last week and I was impressed with the 4G Wimax Coverage in the City.

I was connected to 4G at O'Hare airport, while traveling on the metro, Downtown Chicago , Millenium Park, even on the 103rd floor at the Willis Tower, Logan Square and others.

Speed was great and no Wimax disconnects on my phone. (Nexus S 4G)

After using 4G in California ( Orange County, LA, Inland Empire) and Las Vegas, I was dissapointed of the terrible coverage.

I thought wimax coverage was going to be spotty due to buildings blocking signals.

Wish we had that type of service here in California specially in the OC area

Screenshot_2012-08-29-09-39-57.png

Sprint Wimax Chicago Love

I live & travel around the Chicago area, mainly the I-55 corridor and the streeterville area in downtown. I have found decent to good coverage except for when in buildings in the downtown area & older homes in some neighboorhoods. I even get a good 4G signal in my home & don't need to use WiFi in the house as much. I'm in no rush to upgrade to another 4G phone since, unlike some others (maybe most?), I've been able to get a lot from WiMax. I'm even considering getting a Virgin Mobile 4G hotspot to go some a wifi tablet we have.

The only complaint I have isn't with the coverage but with the way handoffs from 3G to 4G are handled on my EVO. Sometimes the connection will resume, sometimes it will not. However, 3G has also gotten better along my travel route, as my phone dropped a 4G connection after just a couple of minutes but the music stream continued on 3G with no interruptions.

• 2 weeks later...

I had no handoff from 4G to 3G at all during my stay in Chicago, thats the reason I was impressed. Even 3G speeds are blazing fast that sometimes turned 3G off.

While unsing 4G California, I always keep loooking at the notification bar waiting to see 4G disconnected :(

I had no handoff from 4G to 3G at all during my stay in Chicago, thats the reason I was impressed. Even 3G speeds are blazing fast that sometimes turned 3G off.

While unsing 4G California, I always keep loooking at the notification bar waiting to see 4G disconnected :(

It is a known fact that 3G and 4G Wimax handoff does not exist. I think its the fact that Wimax was still in its infancy with only Sprint as the only carrier to support Wimax and never took off. I assume that if Wimax had been successful, the chip makers would have found a way to do SVWimax between Wimax and 3G. I guess the reason why it bugs us Wimax users of the lack of SVWimax is because Wimax coverage is just so flaky at best and its a pain to switch between 3G and 4G manually even with 3G and 4G widgets on your main screen.

I found out this fact early when I first got my Photon 4G last year and tried to do 4G to 3G handoff and was unsuccessful.

I can tell that handoff in LA area, is horrible, but while in Chicago, 4G was on all the time no problems at all. I do miss Chicago 4G lol

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • large.unreadcontent.png.6ef00db54e758d06

• gallery_1_23_9202.png

• Similar Content

• By lilotimz
      Samsung TDD-LTE gear which are being utilized in Clearwire priority sites. .   Clearwire - Samsung TDD-LTE RRH SLS-BD106Q & Antennas           Samsung TD-LTE RRUs mounted behind BRS/EBS Antenna     Sprint 2500-2600 mhz TD-LTE Setup Note the Antennas are much thicker and fatter than the antennas being utilized by Sprint Network Vision.  

Clearwire TD-LTE Base Station / Cabinet
      May be subject to change as TD-LTE sites start being integrated into the Network Vision setups.

Happy Hunting!
        I'll clean the post up this weekend when I have more time.   Courtesy of Sbolen from Missouri market. Samsung TDD RRH SLS-BD104Q1
      Samsung TDD RRH SLS-BD106Q
    • By S4GRU
      S4GRU members, want to see your name up in lights? Here is your chance...The WiMax countdown clock is up on the front page of The Forums. http://s4gru.com/index.php?/index 

As a fundraiser for S4GRU, you can claim "naming rights" to the WiMax countdown clock for a day for a $20 donation.  Now, who will step up to the plate and meet my challenge to keep the sponsorship going? Celebrate the shutdown of WiMax! Show your support for multiple B41 carriers and carrier aggregation. And, of course, see your name get recognized by tens of thousands of others around the country.  

Just make a $20 PayPal donation, put "WiMax Countdown" in the message, and the clock is yours for a day (or more).   You can sponsor as many days as you like.  This is open to anyone, including S4GRU Staff.  Only banned members cannot participate.  Donations will counted toward your membership cumulative totals, including upgrades to Sponsor, Premier Sponsor and Honored Premier status. Donations will go to the next open day available to be Sponsored. We will not allow specific days to be selected.

We are auctioning off the final day.  The highest bidder will get the Sponsor privileges of the final day. See post below for more info.  

Help support S4GRU and be a part of history as WiMax fades off into the sunset. Click here to donate and Sponsor the WiMax Clock
    • By thesickness069
      I just want to start a topic just for the Chicago land area deployment. If anyone has any updates on this please post below. I've been having some major issues lately with dropped calls, missing and late texts, and very slow data speeds. I know that it isn't my phone since both my personal and work phones are Sprint and they both have been having similar issues as of late.

Thanks everyone!!
    • By KnarfOH
      I am presently customer of the old Clearwire for home internet service.  By twist of fate, there are no other high-speed internet providers in my area - NOTHING! - unless you consider satellite services.  Clearwire was reluctant to give me a CLEAR EXPRESS HUB and sign me up originally because my home is literally shown to be in a marginal area of service.  My lot was shown to be covered but not the adjacent lots (not sure how that happens?).  Anyway, they gave me the modem and I experience around 6 Mbps downloads and 1 Mbps uploads (with an outside antenna).  For someone coming off dial-up and satellite (Wildblue) these speeds were terrific!  I am happy!  I understand my service is not as good as many others, but for this area it is fabulous!   With the recent announcements that Clearwire's Wimax service will be phased out by the end of 2015 - I am on pins and needles waiting for the other shoe to drop.  I live in Canal Winchester (suburb of Columbus, OH) and would be devastated If I lost my Clearwire service and we are not part of some Sprint LTE upgrade that will allow us to obtain high-speed internet when Clearwire goes away   Why isn't Sprint more open about their future plans to provide service to areas they acquired from Clearwire, including types of services and time frames other then generalities that I sometimes see published.  The tower I ping off of is located in Columbus (moderate density housing) and I have to believe that Columbus (15th largest city in the USA) would be near the top.  The tower is 3 to 4 miles away.  

• By lequonrobinson
      i wanted to know what round will maryland be in and is nv going underway in this market right now i have seen speeds 1.5 to 2 megs down consistantly before it was under 600 kps so i wanted to ask
    • Initially T-Mobile was simply slapping n41 panels onto existing sites which meant that NR+LTE aggregation aggregated all available LTE bands with NR. Now, T-Mobile seems to be replacing 600/700MHz antennas every time they add n41 and as a result, the city is getting covered in split eNB IDs. On a local (legacy) 600MHz site by my home, when I connect to n71 it's n71 + Band 2 + Band 66 + Band 71 or Band 12 for a combined total of 50MHz of spectrum. However on my home site, because of the split eNB, when I force my phone to connect to n71 it only aggregates n71 + Band 2 + Band 66 for a total of 45MHz of spectrum. It seems weird that T-Mobile is allowing this to happen instead of fixing it so that they can squeeze as much performance out of their network as possible. 5MHz of LTE is not much but it's still an extra ~37Mbps of speed and capacity that could be provided in NSA mode. Interestingly this problem is not something I experience in LTE-only mode much anymore. My phone seems to have no issue aggregating LTE bands across the split most of the time.   Another thing that has been bothering me is that according to the FCC dashboard T-Mobile has 400MHz of spectrum in the 39GHz band here in NYC that they won in December of 2019 but they haven't done any upgrades to actually use that spectrum here. Instead they've been relying on the two 50MHz blocks aggregated together in the 28GHz band which performs worse than n41 on average.
    • Betting VZW trades that B12 to TMo for B66 eventually.
    • Confirmed that AT&T is running dedicated n5 here, at 10 MHz, by process of elimination. LTE is 10x10, and H+ is 5x5. They might be running DSS or n2 or n66 but I kinda doubt it. Guessing they aren't running H+ on every site anymore either; signal appeared a good bit weaker than the B5 LTE signal when I band selected to it. Also, B14 is pretty obviously not on every site here; signal levels at my place are comparable to B2 and, well, 700 should be a lot better than that. Explains why I wasn't seeing B14 aggregated normally. Though apparently they have 25 MHz of B66...one 15 MHz carrier, one 10 MHz.
    • I DM”d him on the 16th, no reply yet. Guessing he’s just too busy lately.