Discussion on Device selection of 800MHz Carriers

800 has been active again here for the past few days and when it is active, my phone never switches to 1900, it's always 800 no matter what I do.

Do you see a big improvement of in-building reception?

800 has been active again here for the past few days and when it is active, my phone never switches to 1900, it's always 800 no matter what I do.

For now. I am sure that band has a very light load right now.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

AJ, correct me if I'm far afield on my understanding of the system or its ramifications. Also, I assume that I'm visualizing the VZW A-PCS-B bridge/idle carrier selection process correctly but elaboring about it wouldn't hurt...though it probably should be in another thread :)

Hopefully, my rudimentary picture itself of the VZW PCS "bridge" across a Cellular license boundary will speak a thousand words. But please do ask questions.

2mdjf2s.png

AJ

• Like 2

Hopefully, my rudimentary picture itself of the VZW PCS "bridge" across a Cellular license boundary will speak a thousand words. But please do ask questions.

AJ

Sadly, in one of the areas I travel it looks more like this

222edddafsmdjf2s.png

• Like 1

Do you see a big improvement of in-building reception?

I see a pretty decent improvement overall. As far as in-building is concerned, I've really only looked at bars since i'm at work, but I go from maybe 2 bars on 1900 to 4 on 800 (GS3).

For now. I am sure that band has a very light load right now.

Well obviously I am only speaking from my experience *so far*.

Here are 2 screenshots, one sitting at my desk at work on 800, and one sitting in the exact same spot on 1900 on the exact same tower. On 1900, about the best I saw while watching the engineering screen was -91, but wasn't quick enough to grab a screenshot. It was hovering mostly around -95 to -99

Screenshot_2012-08-30-08-58-06.png

Screenshot_2012-08-29-13-20-54.png

• Like 1

Wow.. That's a big difference.

I think it has partly to do with the fact that the tower it's connecting to is actually a water tower, and not a very tall one, so the antenna's are about right at the top of the tree level.

Here are 2 screenshots, one sitting at my desk at work on 800, and one sitting in the exact same spot on 1900 on the exact same tower. On 1900, about the best I saw while watching the engineering screen was -91, but wasn't quick enough to grab a screenshot. It was hovering mostly around -95 to -99

To be sure, have you verified the same PN offsets for CDMA1X 800 and CDMA1X 1900? Also, if indeed the same site, could CDMA1X 1900 still be from legacy infrastructure, while CDMA1X 800 is from Network Vision infrastructure?

AJ

To be sure, have you verified the same PN offsets for CDMA1X 800 and CDMA1X 1900? Also, if indeed the same site, could CDMA1X 1900 still be from legacy infrastructure, while CDMA1X 800 is from Network Vision infrastructure?

AJ

I didn't check PN offsets, just the Basestation ID (and with CDMA field test app). There is only 1 tower in town. I'm barely in range of another tower (which is also active with 800), but I've never seen it grab onto it from my work. I have to go about a mile out. The chances of it being different towers is about zero.

Will new non LTE phones support 800 SMR CDMA? What about the 3G only Kyocera Rise that was recently released?

Yes. Many devices released over the last several years support band class 10 CDMA1X 800. And the only devices Sprint has released recently that do not are the iPhone 4/4S.

AJ

And something to note, the non Lte devices that support SMR band had that band as lower priority in the PRLs. This could have changed recently though as I haven't seen one of these prls in a while.