Network Vision/LTE - Columbus Market

abrcrmdl23

HTC EVO LTE rooted s-on and I picked up the Morse and LTE from right under the tower all the way to in between Cleveland n Westerville Rd. I was averaging about 23-25 down and 8-10 up. @imex99 I told you that you need a new phone lol. I'll try n put a screenshot up, (my screen shots keep coming up corrupted for some reason)

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4 Beta

HTC EVO LTE rooted s-on and I picked up the Morse and LTE from right under the tower all the way to in between Cleveland n Westerville Rd. I was averaging about 23-25 down and 8-10 up. @imex99 I told you that you need a new phone lol. I'll try n put a screenshot up, (my screen shots keep coming up corrupted for some reason)

I forgot to mention I did have to toggle airplane mode on and off about 3 or 4 times before LTE was picked up, but hey it worked lol

I think multiple sites are being fired up. There is purple in North Gahanna.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Either that or the confirmed tower has one hell of a reach.  Digiblur said he's seen towers go 10 miles.  I suppose with no hills in Columbus that's very possible?

Man this thread has blown up over the past couple of days.  Wow, LTE is being activated. Maybe the guy who said his source indicated we would see a bunch of sites come online at the end of June was on to something.  Great news for the Columbus Market.

• Like 1

Who's mapping 161 just west of Linworth?

I drove up that way last night to map it. I was determined to find out if there was a second tower live. I'm not convinced that there is another one. I did map everything from 161 to Henderson. Also mapped everything north of Morse except 71.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

As I was mapping around the Bethel Road area, I noticed on SignalCheck Pro that my LTE signal would be far less weaker than my 1xRTT signal. I think the previous poster is correct when they say the LTE tower can be very far reaching. I drove all over that area to see if the signal for stronger but as you can see on Sensorly, it was weak all over that area.

I mapped it out on Google maps and the Gahanna mapping is about 4.5 miles from Tamarack Blvd/Morse Rd. The furthest on Bethel is about 5 miles. Not inconceivable, but I didn't realize that phones would pull in a weak LTE signal combined with a strong 1xRTT signal. I figured most phones would flip to a closer 3G tower, though I'm not going to complain. It seems like if all that coverage is really from that same tower, even with sporadic coverage around the city in the beginning, that a lot of people should be able to get a taste of LTE.
  • Like 1

UPDATE: I reactivated my Galaxy Nexus and my LTE is gone! Any input?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Oooooo...please don't map with the GNex on Sensorly.  You'll be confusing everyone there.  That phone causes what we call GNex pollution.  It will map dark purple in places where the signal is really not even usable.  Confuses the hell out of everyone.

As I was mapping around the Bethel Road area, I noticed on SignalCheck Pro that my LTE signal would be far less weaker than my 1xRTT signal. I think the previous poster is correct when they say the LTE tower can be very far reaching. I drove all over that area to see if the signal for stronger but as you can see on Sensorly, it was weak all over that area.

Yep...  I sound like a broken record.  You'll need to grab the serving cells from the 3 sides of the site.  HTC devices will get a hex value of something like 05A0C701, 05A0C702, 05A0C703 (this is a NOLA mkt tower).  Notice how the last two digits are 01, 02, 03.  This is the sectors from the same site.  Samsung/LG device owners will get 3 digit serving cell numbers.  I know in Ericsson markets they are 169 offset from each other.  (100, 269, 438)  Not sure how your market goes.  Iphone5 owners can both style numbers except their cell identity will be in decimal format, that will have to be converted to HEX.   For instance the ones above would be 94422785, 94422786, 94422787.  It's easy to convert to HEX though as there are tons of apps, webpages, etc even Windows Calculator can convert from HEX to DEC when you change the mode to programmer. 

Once you guys have the IDs for this one active site you can stop chasing your tails looking for new sites that are simply not there.  Someone will pop up and say "Hey!  I found LTE at Billy Bob @ Jones St!"  Ask them to post the serving cell and sure enough it's the same site that was brought online and they are simply picking it up from miles away. 

This is what we do in the New Orleans market, it makes it VERY easy to determine when new sites are coming up.  We even figured out all the HEX IDs of sites where work has not even started yet.  It's turned into a type of game/addiction where our crowd sourced spreadsheet on Google Docs keeps score of which user has confirmed a number of sites, along with completion rates, etc. 

See what I'm talking about? (see above)  Don't think.  Know if it is the same site or not.

• Like 2

Someone will pop up and say "Hey!  I found LTE at Billy Bob @ Jones St!"

Hey there is a great BBQ joint on that corner! :D

I don't know if this was answered or not but I just happened to check sensorly and I see a whole lot more purple and my question is, the purple that is now shown on Bethel and by the Osu airport and in gahanna are them different towers or is it possibly from that tower on the NE side?

image.jpg

I don't know if this was answered or not but I just happened to check sensorly and I see a whole lot more purple and my question is, the purple that is now shown on Bethel and by the Osu airport and in gahanna are them different towers or is it possibly from that tower on the NE side?

Broken record... LTE engineering screen will be your new best friend that will instantly answer this question.

My work is done here. The seed has been planted, I will be back later to see if it grows or dies.

Broken record... LTE engineering screen will be your new best friend that will instantly answer this question.

My work is done here. The seed has been planted, I will be back later to see if it grows or dies.

I understand what you're saying and if I lived or worked up there I'd do the steps you described. Hopefully someone else can so we can figure out for sure if the same tower is being picked up 5 miles away or if there are multiple towers live.

• Like 1

I was confused earlier too, but he said he was complaining about Lancaster & Broad but excited to see LTE in Columbus.

Sorry for the confusion guys...  I am an avid Sensorly mapper, and a walker, so the second LTE does show up over here, I'll map the hell out of it!

What app are you using? Is that Sensorly for iPhone? I'm wondering why they made objects on the map, the same color as mapping. Example: they made CMH Airport purple.

I've just got to say, WOW! this thread is blowing up and its not even noon yet. also I hope to be able to map some more up north later today on sensorly. 

For those mapping today/tonight. Please use Digi's instructions to pull the Cell IDs instead of SignalCheck Pro. So we can figure out what we're actually working with.

Thanks in advance.

What app are you using? Is that Sensorly for iPhone? I'm wondering why they made objects on the map, the same color as mapping. Example: they made CMH Airport purple.

That's Sensorly, and yeah, certain landmarks show up as purple. Very disheartening to keep checking Sensorly before this to see if anything popped up and only see those things.

I've just got to say, WOW! this thread is blowing up and its not even noon yet. also I hope to be able to map some more up north later today on sensorly.

For those mapping today/tonight. Please use Digi's instructions to pull the Cell IDs instead of SignalCheck Pro. So we can figure out what we're actually working with.

Thanks in advance.

Read again. I didn't say anything about SignalCheck Pro.

Yes I am using the one for the iPhone. Where the airport is there is a light purple small line at the top of it but you can't really see it until you zoom in some. But I don't know why they have certain places labeled in purple cause that adds to the confusion. If they are going to make them places purple atleast make the color for lte a different color.

Yes I am using the one for the iPhone. Where the airport is there is a light purple small line at the top of it but you can't really see it until you zoom in some. But I don't know why they have certain places labeled in purple cause that adds to the confusion. If they are going to make them places purple atleast make the color for lte a different color.

That is completely Apples fault. Not Sensorly. Apple Maps decided to make certain landmarks purple, and when Apple decided to stop using Google Maps as the native map, the Sensorly map changed as well since it uses the default, which is now Apple Maps. If you were to look at the maps online, or on an Android, it looks as one would expect, on a Google Maps background.

If you're having problems connecting to LTE and you know you're near one that's working, and you have your MSL code you could always go into your ##DATA# menu change your Others>HDR/1X selection to "LTE Only". Obviously don't forget to change it back to "LTE+CDMA+EVDO" or whatever mode you were on before.