Network Vision/LTE - Columbus Market

abrcrmdl23

First time posting, as I am not a mobile expert but I do have some knowledge on the IT and Computer Engineering side of things. One of the things I've routinely noticed with Spring 3G and now it even looks like Scooter's recent 4G post is the high Ping time. This number is much higher than what I typically find on other networks, i.e. this is more of a "lag time" rather than the actual width of the pipe (Mbps). I was wondering if this could be a result of a poor DNS server on Sprint's end and not necessarily a limitation of the network or backhaul. Does anyone know if this could be the case or if it is possible to change the DNS settings (to Google for example)? I have an iPhone 5 but would be curious if anyone is able to test this by changing to Google DNS (https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/). I am hoping one of the many Android users out there may be able to test, since I will admit you typically have more customization options than I do.

DNS won't affect ping times except maybe on CDN servers.

I have seen ping times all over the place, just depends on if something else decides to comm at the same time. Open a term emu and ping a close address in the tracert is the only way to really test it over a minute or two to see. I bet you could get down to 30ms with ease.

LTE:

RSRP: -108dbm (16asu)

RSRQ: -11db, SNR: 17.2dB

Not going to pretend to know what all that means, but there you go

That's pretty poor signal actually, so if you got those speeds at that signal then that bodes well for others with better signal.

That's pretty poor signal actually, so if you got those speeds at that signal then that bodes well for others with better signal.

That's what I was thinking.

Great news! Wish I lived in the Northland area, though.

No you don't. LOL. The 4G LTE isn't worth all that.

Shya.  I lived in an apartment not far from there for a year.  First time I experienced a full on break in and theft, and the last time.  Then bought a house near the budwieser plant.  Better, but not great.  Frequent visits by the ghetto bird.  Finally I moved to mount vernon..... quiet.

YES!! YES!! YES!!  I was just coming to the forum to report that the network in my neighborhood (Lancaster Ave and E Broad St) has suddenly gone down the toilet, and now I see we are seeing actual, real, live LTE!  Is it a coincidence that this happened so close to "Half Christmas"?  

YES!! YES!! YES!!  I was just coming to the forum to report that the network in my neighborhood (Lancaster Ave and E Broad St) has suddenly gone down the toilet, and now I see we are seeing actual, real, live LTE!  Is it a coincidence that this happened so close to "Half Christmas"?  

Are you saying you're seeing LTE at Lancaster Ave & E. Broad?

No no, sorry.  I was saying that my network has gone to crap, and I was going to report it as I thought it just might be a sign of improvements to come.  When I came to report it I saw the news of the live LTE.  I think I'm going to take the bus up there tomorrow or Friday and do some very thorough mapping by foot.  And just enjoy some decent network...

Here's my contribution for the day. My PRL is 2000 for those that want to know and I did map out some new purp.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

uploadfromtaptalk1372285021279.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1372285112722.jpg

• Like 2

I'm right at the tower, drove by and nothing... Switched airplane mode on and off and no lte. Must be turned off right now.....

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I'm right at the tower, drove by and nothing... Switched airplane mode on and off and no lte. Must be turned off right now.....

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I was there a few minutes ago. Literally right underneath when I pulled my information. You may want to check to make sure you have LTE enabled. I'm getting LTE at this second. (Went to K&G).

I didn't have a chance to force 800mhz as I don't believe I have the correct PRL to force it.

uploadfromtaptalk1372287309379.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1372287324481.jpg

Uhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm should I be trusting Sensorly here?

uploadfromtaptalk1372287470345.jpg

I didn't have a chance to force 800mhz as I don't believe I have the correct PRL to force it.

Posting the gps coordinates of that app is really pointless honestly. It does not tell you about what site the LTE is coming from. Only way to do that is with LTE engineering screens and track which sites are what in a spreadsheet like some markets are doing.

Just have sensorly running with map trip started. Much easier to see on a map then see some numbers.

Speedtests are really irrelevant except for troubleshooting a site. Do some real world stuff, YouTube, etc and see if the data is fine.

Speedtests are really irrelevant except for troubleshooting a site. Do some real world stuff, YouTube, etc and see if the data is fine.

As stated earlier by another, YouTube is darn near flawless. Can't wait for expansion.

Posting the gps coordinates of that app is really pointless honestly. It does not tell you about what site the LTE is coming from. Only way to do that is with LTE engineering screens and track which sites are what in a spreadsheet like some markets are doing.

Just have sensorly running with map trip started. Much easier to see on a map then see some numbers.

Here's Sensorly after I just left the area. Keep mapping folks maybe we'll find additional sites.

uploadfromtaptalk1372288516822.jpg

As stated earlier by another, YouTube is darn near flawless. Can't wait for expansion.

• Like 1