Network Vision/LTE - Columbus Market

abrcrmdl23

Hey these are a couple pics I took with my phone. Maybe not the best quality, but it's the tower on Hoover Road in Grove City. It's at the skate park. It looks like the back haul has not been completed.

post-15831-0-97021900-1371860991_thumb.jpgpost-15831-0-97479100-1371861023_thumb.jpgpost-15831-0-02234700-1371861081_thumb.jpgpost-15831-0-13946800-1371861114_thumb.jpgpost-15831-0-43137100-1371861172_thumb.jpgpost-15831-0-81581600-1371861254_thumb.jpg

Hey these are a couple pics I took with my phone. Maybe not the best quality, but it's the tower on Hoover Road in Grove City. It's at the skate park. It looks like the back haul has not been completed.

post-15831-0-97021900-1371860991_thumb.jpgpost-15831-0-97479100-1371861023_thumb.jpgpost-15831-0-02234700-1371861081_thumb.jpgpost-15831-0-13946800-1371861114_thumb.jpgpost-15831-0-43137100-1371861172_thumb.jpgpost-15831-0-81581600-1371861254_thumb.jpg

.. You're right the first pic that you got? Its got yellow tape around the connectors so they can't be connected or drawn and that's why you see that brother. Happy tower hunting

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Definitely new cabinets and fiber ready to be ran... Getting closer guys!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Just an aside: does anyone else here have an iPhone 5? What are your speeds like in general? Mine have seemed to be even worse than my friends droids or my wife's iPhone 4. Hoping the NV solves this as I had it replaced once by Apple but it didn't fix it in the least... I want to believe that it's the network and not the phone...

I'm out in the San Francisco area for the weekend, and I'm getting 1 meg down and 2 megs up on LTE. Are those the kinds of speeds we're expecting after NV is complete? I used to get equivalent speeds on 3G IN some areas before they started tearing up the network.

I'm out in the San Francisco area for the weekend, and I'm getting 1 meg down and 2 megs up on LTE. Are those the kinds of speeds we're expecting after NV is complete? I used to get equivalent speeds on 3G IN some areas before they started tearing up the network.

If they completed the tower and antennas with no back haul that's exactly what you would experience. Not the norm though. Speeds should be in the five to ten meg range. What's your ping time of you don't mind me asking...?

If they completed the tower and antennas with no back haul that's exactly what you would experience. Not the norm though. Speeds should be in the five to ten meg range. What's your ping time of you don't mind me asking...?

Ping was around 60 ms. It was really disheartening to see such slow speeds. On the plus side, before I left, the speeds in Grove City were back to near normal. I had commented in this thread a couple of weeks ago that Grove City speeds were practically nil, but before I left for San Francisco, they were up around 0.5 - 1 Mbps up and down.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk HD

Ping was around 60 ms. It was really disheartening to see such slow speeds. On the plus side, before I left, the speeds in Grove City were back to near normal. I had commented in this thread a couple of weeks ago that Grove City speeds were practically nil, but before I left for San Francisco, they were up around 0.5 - 1 Mbps up and down.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk HD

I'm pretty sure SF just started LTE a short while ago, so they're not up and running strong yet. I'd guess those are normal until a city launches.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Noticed my tower at home is showing evdo rev a now. It was showing as edhrp before? This is the tower in reynoldsburg off of tussing rd.

Edited by DomSim

What is the delay on getting back haul done in the Columbus market? I've been to several towers in Grove City and they all seem to have the new base stations, they have new panels up, but no back haul. Will this Softbank deal give them the financial capital they need to get the ball rolling?

What is the delay on getting back haul done in the Columbus market? I've been to several towers in Grove City and they all seem to have the new base stations, they have new panels up, but no back haul. Will this Softbank deal give them the financial capital they need to get the ball rolling?

Delay? They just started deployment. If it wasn't for S4GRU most of you wouldn't even know work has started in the Columbus market. It's going to take some time.

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 2

Delay? They just started deployment. If it wasn't for S4GRU most of you wouldn't even know work has started in the Columbus market. It's going to take some time.

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

If you check Google Earth, some of these sites have had new cabinets for more than 4 months. Just an observation. Doesn't remove the relevance of the question. Working in the technology industry, when I request a build out from a local Felco it generally occurs within 2 weeks. As a long term Sprint customer, I'm tired of hearing the excuses for why there is always a delay in upgrading the network. First itwas the epic fail of WiMax and now it's the slow rollout of LTE. Oh, don't make another excuse for Sprint. They are the one's who set expectations high with the number of people who would have coverage by the end of 2013 only to have to pull back and blame it on over ambition.

I'm glad the Columbus market is seeing build outs in preparation of NV, especially considering they aren't on any official list Sprint has put out. It doesn't change the fact that as a consumer I have doubts about Sprint being able to execute their plans when they have a track record of failure in their recent past.

Speaking my own opinion only. I don't see a delay or it taking too long. It's a situation of us knowing "too much" of what's going on in the markets. Some like to compare the Sprint LTE buildout to other carriers, but we have no clue how long prior to announcement those carriers started work.

Also, as Previously stated, this is a COMPLETE network rebuild, not just replacing cards and panels. I still believe you can hold Sprint to the 2013 timeline. At least for Columbus. It's June 23rd, not December 31st, 11:59PM.

Folks, no disrespect to you, but you chose the red pill of S4GRU.com. You should have took the blue one of ignorance.

• Like 4

Speaking my own opinion only. I don't see a delay or it taking too long. It's a situation of us knowing "too much" of what's going on in the markets. Some like to compare the Sprint LTE buildout to other carriers, but we have no clue how long prior to announcement those carriers started work.

Also, as Previously stated, this is a COMPLETE network rebuild, not just replacing cards and panels. I still believe you can hold Sprint to the 2013 timeline. At least for Columbus. It's June 23rd, not December 31st, 11:59PM.

Folks, no disrespect to you, but you chose the red pill of S4GRU.com. You should have took the blue one of ignorance.

Lol. Sometimes I wish I took the blue ignorance pill too. But then without S4GRU forums, what would I do at work? Work? No thanks.

My two cents as well - I've seen quite a few sites with fiber. Now, who knows what stage that is. Whether its just the fiber to the street waiting for street to actual backbone or not. I think the rollout seems to be moving along just fine. Of course we all wish it was simple and faster but there's a lot of moving parts to this that I'm sure we don't even all understand.

• Like 2

Ugh I know the feeling.  I love this site, and hate it at the same time.  Sometimes I read this thread and feel like we're closer than I expected, and sometimes I feel like we're further away.  But hey, at least before I found this site and was going strictly off of what Sprint revealed, I thought for sure I would never see any NV improvements by the time my contract is up June 2014.  At least in the worst case scenarios I hear from here we should be done well before then.  They better be done by then though, as I plan on going 100% data only once the contract is up, and their current 3g definitely wouldn't cut it...

Just found out a little information. From what I found VZW announced LTE for their first LTE sites at CTIA, March 2010. Launched around November 2010. Ohio was a launch state for them, But other than 1 Indiana city, none of the rest of the Midwest was covered. Kansas City was announced as a launch city for late 2011.

So with Sprint starting in Kansas and Missouri I see (keyword: I) see them busting ass going outward.

Would someone get this man a beer.... :tu:

• Like 3

Waiting for LTE is frustrating, but Sprint has always treated me well, their customer service improved drastically a few years ago (they went from "no" to "yes"), I think if I hang in there, so will their service.

The cabinets and antennae in Delaware off of London Rd. were done weeks ago, change is in the air. I really don't have any service problems anyway, I just want to see "LTE" on my Note 2! 

Sucks when you have a decent signal and data is completely unusable.

uploadfromtaptalk1372109653072.jpg

Curious what you get on other test servers. I've never had anything but high ping and low speed to their Columbus test server, on WiMax or on cable. Have you done the proxy server hack? Could be that too. If you think that every request is routing through a slow as molasses proxy server then it makes sense. I'm envious of your download speed because more often than not my DL speeds are 300-500 kb. 

I'm still wondering why Sprint hasn't enabled a VPN connection from the handset to their NOC via WiFi like T-Mobile does. It's so much more enjoyable to use the handset when you don't have to wave the sucker around to send a text or play the silver man when you're talking and find a good spot, don't move!

Waiting for LTE is frustrating, but Sprint has always treated me well, their customer service improved drastically a few years ago (they went from "no" to "yes"), I think if I hang in there, so will their service.

The cabinets and antennae in Delaware off of London Rd. were done weeks ago, change is in the air. I really don't have any service problems anyway, I just want to see "LTE" on my Note 2! 

I have dealt with Sprint customer service maybe 6 times.  And each time has been astoundingly pleasent.  I am really not accustomed to just automatically getting what I asked for.  I had a line on my account that was terminated, then reactivated and ownership was moved.  This was to have nulified the termination fee but I still got charged.  I called them, sure it was going to be a frustrating gruelling call - as it would have been with VZW.  Nope, I explained the situation, the lady asked to put me on hold to check with the cancellation dept.  Came back 5 minutes later and told me we were all set.  Honestly, VZW customer service doesn't begin to compare to Sprint.  What's funny is, I remember people telling me to beware of sprint because of crappy customer support.   I said I didn't care, because it was cheaper..  Wrong on both accounts, I apparently do care, and it's been worth every penny.  Even if the data BLOWS butt.

Even though I am anxiously awaiting the upgrades.  VERY Anxiously.  At work, I have nearly perfect signal, but am lucky to see 150 kbps, and ping times over 2000 ms, it's essentially unusable. But I have NO inclinations to leave Sprint.  I will never go back to VZW given the hack job they did when I left (reported $4 in collections on my credit, never told me about it, when I called I got bounced between depts because the collections dept said they had no file on me.  I got to someone who finally confirmed I didn't owe anything.  When I asked them to remove it off my credit record, they refused.  Finally got a letter up, and got a call from the "office of the vzw president"??  Who agreed to fix it after some fighting.  But it was a nightmare)

Edited by bumonbox
  • Like 1

Curious what you get on other test servers. I've never had anything but high ping and low speed to their Columbus test server, on WiMax or on cable. Have you done the proxy server hack? Could be that too. If you think that every request is routing through a slow as molasses proxy server then it makes sense. I'm envious of your download speed because more often than not my DL speeds are 300-500 kb.

I'm still wondering why Sprint hasn't enabled a VPN connection from the handset to their NOC via WiFi like T-Mobile does. It's so much more enjoyable to use the handset when you don't have to wave the sucker around to send a text or play the silver man when you're talking and find a good spot, don't move!

No other changes than what Digi made to his ROM. Honestly it was extremely rare that I pulled that much on the download there. I'll check again later this afternoon.

Sidenote: I have no clue where that tower is on the Hilton property. Can't even find it on Google or Bing bird's eye.

The proxy server hack, as mentioned above, should help a LOT. Your MSL is required. From experience, if you call customer care and say, "I am trying to reset my phone and it keeps asking for a 6 digit code. Do you know what it is?" you'll get it.

3g streaming tweaks (menu may slightly vary depending on device):

-Dial ##3282#
-Enter MSL
-Click on Others
-Click on Multimedia
-Change the following settings to:

RTSP Proxy Address changed to 0.0.0.0
RTSP Proxy Port to 0
HTTPPD Proxy Address to 0.0.0.0
HTTPPD Proxy Port to 0

Stock is:

RTSP Proxy Address: rtsp.vog.sprintpcs.com