Network Vision/LTE - Columbus Market

abrcrmdl23

so if 370 of 398 need upgraded, that means they are 7% complete right?

Ill have to double check but to my knowledge there has been zero ethernet run to any of the columbus sites. The difference is roughly 30 sites will have a microwave backhaul and not a direct connection. There is a good image in a thread on backhaul that shows conduit run to the cabinents marked fiber, and conduit coming from the ground with a pull string just waiting for the fiber to come and be pulled thru.

We have seen multiple sites in Columbus with the fiber ran to the tower. Now, whether or not it's actually connected is another story completely.

We have seen multiple sites in Columbus with the fiber ran to the tower. Now, whether or not it's actually connected is another story completely.

There have been over 100 capacity upgrades the past view months but im pretty sure most were T1's. Its possible it was fiber but to date no ethernet backhaul has been signed off on.

There have been over 100 capacity upgrades the past view months but im pretty sure most were T1's. Its possible it was fiber but to date no ethernet backhaul has been signed off on.

That sounds about right - I have a friend who works a local CO for AT&T and he said that most of the cell companies that they are building out right now are still requesting older tech like T1s rather than ethernet, which is what he said that they'd rather put in at this point.  He didn't say if AT&T provides Sprint with tower connectivity, however.  I would think it would be whoever is local and cost effective?

That sounds about right - I have a friend who works a local CO for AT&T and he said that most of the cell companies that they are building out right now are still requesting older tech like T1s rather than ethernet, which is what he said that they'd rather put in at this point. He didn't say if AT&T provides Sprint with tower connectivity, however. I would think it would be whoever is local and cost effective?

That confuses the hell out of me for two reasons. 1) Why pay to have T1 ran when you have to go back and pay for fiber to be ran. 2) All the permits I've seen for Sprint mention fiber optic. I know permits have a 1 year expiration but I haven't seen T1 permits.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

That sounds about right - I have a friend who works a local CO for AT&T and he said that most of the cell companies that they are building out right now are still requesting older tech like T1s rather than ethernet, which is what he said that they'd rather put in at this point. He didn't say if AT&T provides Sprint with tower connectivity, however. I would think it would be whoever is local and cost effective?

That confuses the hell out of me for two reasons. 1) Why pay to have T1 ran when you have to go back and pay for fiber to be ran. 2) All the permits I've seen for Sprint mention fiber optic. I know permits have a 1 year expiration but I haven't seen T1 permits.

I have no clue why cell companies would request a T1. Seemed really weird to me as well, but he actually designs and builds the local infrastructure for AT&T in my area, as I understand his position. He also did a ton of work on the Chicago AT&T network last year, designing things remotely. He could have been saying that overall, companies were still asking for T1s when AT&T wants to put them on fiber, but we were talking in the context of cell towers right before that... I just don't know if any of the work that he is doing relates to sprint at all. I'll ask him next time I see him.

I'm sure there are reasons escaping us, but i'll try and find out.

A while back someone mentioned that South Columbus would see more sites light up at the end of the month.  Any more information on those?  Where do we need to have these pictures posted so that we can have the map updated to include these sites as in progress?   I've verified the pics on both these sites, but they aren't included on the NV in progress thread. 

https://www.dropbox....e6SYAJuu/Towers

Where's the in progress thread? I couldn't find it. Unless its in the donate side. I live near the pickerington meijers and there's nothing going on up 33 to 104. Same for along 270 between 71 & 33, at least none of the visible towers from the freeway. I've only seen 3 NV sites. 2 in the pictures plus one neat 315 & Goodale. The towers going north of that one have nothing new. Looks like they're ay least building out, probably in other areas off the highway. I drove around Grandview and there's no new work there either.

Where's the in progress thread? I couldn't find it. Unless its in the donate side. I live near the pickerington meijers and there's nothing going on up 33 to 104. Same for along 270 between 71 & 33, at least none of the visible towers from the freeway. I've only seen 3 NV sites. 2 in the pictures plus one neat 315 & Goodale. The towers going north of that one have nothing new. Looks like they're ay least building out, probably in other areas off the highway. I drove around Grandview and there's no new work there either.

You should dl signal check pro so you can pinpoint exactly where sprint towers are.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 2

You should dl signal check pro so you can pinpoint exactly where sprint towers are.

Best money I've spent on Android. It's the best because it's the only money I've ever spent on an app.

• Like 2

You haven't tried Netmonitor? It shows you quickly on a map which cell your on, carrier, bssid, your location on a map, the cell's location on a map and if you leave it running, adjacent cells you've connected to, signal level logging all exportable to kml for Google Earth, test mode access and free. I'll see if I can post a screenshot. I do have signal check lite so I'll know quickly when I connect on 800 when they turn it on.

Here's the catch, of the sprint towers that I've driven past only 2 I've seen NV on, one NV tower is not a sprint tower. I've read that 800 wont be on every site because it naturally covers a larger geographic area. So now every tower I drive by is looked at.

You haven't tried Netmonitor? It shows you quickly on a map which cell your on, carrier, bssid, your location on a map, the cell's location on a map and if you leave it running, adjacent cells you've connected to, signal level logging all exportable to kml for Google Earth, test mode access and free. I'll see if I can post a screenshot. I do have signal check lite so I'll know quickly when I connect on 800 when they turn it on.

Here's the catch, of the sprint towers that I've driven past only 2 I've seen NV on, one NV tower is not a sprint tower. I've read that 800 wont be on every site because it naturally covers a larger geographic area. So now every tower I drive by is looked at.

Netmonitor looks like an okay app. SCpro offers most of those features, if not all. I personally like SCpro because it seems like it was designed for Sprint. And I spend $1.99 every few hours on food, so why not support an App Dev that supports S4GRU. Just my opinion.

• Like 2

Went for a drive last night around the Southeast Side, then drove around the South side this morning. I placed what I've found in a KMZ file and labelled each site with NV, EVDO-A or ERHPD.

KMZ File here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x93wgtp0d5agllw/Sprint%20Cells%20CMH.kmz

What I've discovered is that a lot of sites are showing on the phone as EVDO-A and fewer are showing ERHPD. The sites listed in the KMZ as NV have the ugly hung 2 RRU devices on them. 

I'm curious how fast the speedtest comes back on the EVDO-A locations vs. the ERHPD locations.

Went for a drive last night around the Southeast Side, then drove around the South side this morning. I placed what I've found in a KMZ file and labelled each site with NV, EVDO-A or ERHPD.

KMZ File here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x93wgtp0d5agllw/Sprint%20Cells%20CMH.kmz

What I've discovered is that a lot of sites are showing on the phone as EVDO-A and fewer are showing ERHPD. The sites listed in the KMZ as NV have the ugly hung 2 RRU devices on them. 

I'm curious how fast the speedtest comes back on the EVDO-A locations vs. the ERHPD locations.

Cool - What do you mean by NV site?  A site that looks upgraded to you?

Or they might be waiting for Iden to be shut down on the 30th before launching a bunch of sites.

Maybe, but I won't be holding my breath this time. Lol

I'm hoping this is the case, but it may be where they're just firing up 800SMR as I don't see iDEN holding up LTE on 1900. For all we know, NV 1900 may be up and running but due to no backhaul, we're not seeing any difference in data reliability/speed. My voice service has never really been a problem in my area, but data has been completely unusable at times.

My argument on reliable is similar to when you have a strong WiFi signal at home from your router, but your modem isn't sending the connection like it should.

My tower in Granville on Columbus road that had been accepted at 3g Nv has been marked for fiber, has paint line drawing straight to the old sprint equipment, just nothing has been dug...

Just waiting for fiber now (might poop once installed) :)

My tower in Granville on Columbus road that had been accepted at 3g Nv has been marked for fiber, has paint line drawing straight to the old sprint equipment, just nothing has been dug...

Just waiting for fiber now (might poop once installed) :)

. My experience from Toledo the equipment was done base cabinets, it took a month for antennas , still waiting for fiber or microwave. There's other sites in Toledo that have fiber installed but nothing on the grounds of cabinets or in antennas

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2