Network Vision/LTE - Columbus Market

abrcrmdl23

Yep, I'm on the latest version, but I'm also on the outskirts of town, so Sprint service isn't as good because of my location. But I still have issues downtown which used to be just fine on my nexus s.

Ah, that could be it. Hoping we get the conversion to ehrpd soon. That should at least signal us that that aspect is ready for the conversion to Network Vision.

I work on the Northeast side of Columbus in Westerville and the service has been TERRIBLE the last two to three weeks. I've been losing 3g to 1X and losing data altogether from time to time. I've also noticed that I'm receiving voicemails without any missed calls. Initially when I called into Sprint when it started happening three weeks ago, they mentioned that a tower was down in my area and they were fixing it, should be all set in 3-5 days. I called back 5 days later to confirm that everything was up and running and they confirmed that it was. That day, of course, the service was back to it's normal 3-4 bars of 3G with about .2-.5 Mbits if I'm lucky. Today it was back to it's terrible little to no data all day. I mentioned this to another coworker who works more frequently on the North side of town around Powell area and when he called into Sprint they said that they are currently undergoing an upgrade on all the towers in Columbus due to a network upgrade. I told him that this was just not true because I had been following this site and we would definitely have heard about it first here. Long winded I know, but are the issues we are facing due to the upgrade of 3G services around the US that Sprint announced a little while back or are they in fact the very preliminary steps of NV? I'm sure they are just 3G service upgrades, but I'll take anything at this point. I had a taste of 4G in Chicago and simply can't wait until we get it here, fingers crossed :D. Thanks Robert for all of your insight and help. This site is great!

• Like 1

I work on the Northeast side of Columbus in Westerville and the service has been TERRIBLE the last two to three weeks. I've been losing 3g to 1X and losing data altogether from time to time. I've also noticed that I'm receiving voicemails without any missed calls. Initially when I called into Sprint when it started happening three weeks ago, they mentioned that a tower was down in my area and they were fixing it, should be all set in 3-5 days. I called back 5 days later to confirm that everything was up and running and they confirmed that it was. That day, of course, the service was back to it's normal 3-4 bars of 3G with about .2-.5 Mbits if I'm lucky. Today it was back to it's terrible little to no data all day. I mentioned this to another coworker who works more frequently on the North side of town around Powell area and when he called into Sprint they said that they are currently undergoing an upgrade on all the towers in Columbus due to a network upgrade. I told him that this was just not true because I had been following this site and we would definitely have heard about it first here. Long winded I know, but are the issues we are facing due to the upgrade of 3G services around the US that Sprint announced a little while back or are they in fact the very preliminary steps of NV? I'm sure they are just 3G service upgrades, but I'll take anything at this point. I had a taste of 4G in Chicago and simply can't wait until we get it here, fingers crossed :D. Thanks Robert for all of your insight and help. This site is great!

I've been experiencing the exact same thing.... Hopefully it's bandaid fixes and they'll be completed soon. Very annoying that I have to keep updating profile to get 3g back and I'm also getting ghost voicemails.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I've been experiencing the exact same thing.... Hopefully it's bandaid fixes and they'll be completed soon. Very annoying that I have to keep updating profile to get 3g back and I'm also getting ghost voicemails.

I didn't have 3G at my workplace in Gahanna for a few weeks, during which time I called Sprint multiple times. They eventually did get the tower fixed. It wasn't any type of upgrade though. It's still slow as heck so I stay on wifi at work. Messages always go through fine though. My home in Reynoldsburg has great coverage though.

Consider yourself lucky. My work has the wifi encrypted to work approved devices (no Android... :(). Also, don't move any farther east. I live in Pataskala and while service is great for the commute as soon as I get home I have to switch over to my airrave for bearable call quality. Can't wait for some NV upgrades.

Consider yourself lucky. My work has the wifi encrypted to work approved devices (no Android... :(). Also, don't move any farther east. I live in Pataskala and while service is great for the commute as soon as I get home I have to switch over to my airrave for bearable call quality. Can't wait for some NV upgrades.

We all feel ya... I live in Granville, previously from johnstown. Don't need my two airaves anymore like I did in Johnstown for cell service, data speeds aren't very good.

I work around columbus and service has taken a dive lately.

I'm beyond excited to have a stable signal.

Well, a minor update since the other day. My office now appears to have 3G back online and no more intermittent 1X signal. I didn't receive any phantom voicemails today either, however, it appeared to be a more quiet day than usual... I did run a couple speedtests to see if the 3G service was any better and although the ping was better than normal (160ms) the download was .4 Mbps and .2 Mbps on the best run. Per the standard around here :(. Even more jealous when a coworker brings in his shiny new iPhone 5 with AT&T LTE that was pulling 15 Mbps and 4 Mbps down with only a couple bars of service. LTE can't come soon enough.

This last weekend I traveled to Cleveland from Columbus. Sensorly was logging the drive up. I found that when I entered the Cleveland area (I-71 from Medina onwards north I-71) I had a mostly reliable eHRPD singal. At the time I did not remember what eHRPD was but I was happy to see a new change.

What I noticed was the Speed was much more "bursty". While testing with Sensorly peak speeds were hitting 3mbps but the average bandwidth was much much less 0.5 to 0.8Mbps down and 0.1 to 0.2 up. While testing in EVDO rev A coverage areas the Average was much higher 1.2 to 1.5 Mbps down and a steady 0.5Mbps up.

Since comming back to Columbus, I have driven arround town looking for the eHRPD connection. Unfortunately all I have been able to receive is EVDO rev A.signal. What is disturbing is how the Rollout process is being planned / implemented. Columbus, OH not even listed, 15th largest city and inbetween other LTE cities. I understand it takes time and alot of money to build a complete network. But C'mon!

When 3G EVDO first arrived (everywhere I traveled, worked or lived), it was deployed in High Traffic / High Dollar areas. They all seemed to be first installed at Airports, Downtown and High Traffic Expressways. It was perfect as it hit the areas who needed to be connected 24/7 and where time is money. It was a life saver. you cant always count on WiFi being available.

I am feeling like I should have left Sprint and not upgrade my phone as I did (EVO 4G to SGN2). The Sprint Wimax coverage I have used has been excelent. Blew me away finding full bars across NC especially in the mountains. Streaming my library, RDP/Citrix sessions,Netflix and Shoutcast no problems. I have been quite happy with WiMax.

Sprint needs to just roll out a single LTE cell in every POP, just to keep the people from revolting. Too many people are ditching Sprint or Talking about it because of Terrible 3G and no LTE even planned.

• Like 1

This last weekend I traveled to Cleveland from Columbus. Sensorly was logging the drive up. I found that when I entered the Cleveland area (I-71 from Medina onwards north I-71) I had a mostly reliable eHRPD singal. At the time I did not remember what eHRPD was but I was happy to see a new change.

What I noticed was the Speed was much more "bursty". While testing with Sensorly peak speeds were hitting 3mbps but the average bandwidth was much much less 0.5 to 0.8Mbps down and 0.1 to 0.2 up. While testing in EVDO rev A coverage areas the Average was much higher 1.2 to 1.5 Mbps down and a steady 0.5Mbps up.

Since comming back to Columbus, I have driven arround town looking for the eHRPD connection. Unfortunately all I have been able to receive is EVDO rev A.signal. What is disturbing is how the Rollout process is being planned / implemented. Columbus, OH not even listed, 15th largest city and inbetween other LTE cities. I understand it takes time and alot of money to build a complete network. But C'mon!

When 3G EVDO first arrived (everywhere I traveled, worked or lived), it was deployed in High Traffic / High Dollar areas. They all seemed to be first installed at Airports, Downtown and High Traffic Expressways. It was perfect as it hit the areas who needed to be connected 24/7 and where time is money. It was a life saver. you cant always count on WiFi being available.

I am feeling like I should have left Sprint and not upgrade my phone as I did (EVO 4G to SGN2). The Sprint Wimax coverage I have used has been excelent. Blew me away finding full bars across NC especially in the mountains. Streaming my library, RDP/Citrix sessions,Netflix and Shoutcast no problems. I have been quite happy with WiMax.

Sprint needs to just roll out a single LTE cell in every POP, just to keep the people from revolting. Too many people are ditching Sprint or Talking about it because of Terrible 3G and no LTE even planned.

Takes time, I guess. I'm sure they'd like to start everywhere at the same time, but it's not feasible. I'm sure we'll get it in 2013 sometime.

Don't know what is going on on the far west side of Columbus today but everywhere I went I carried around a paper weight. I was stuck on 1x. If someone sent me a text it was taking ten to fifteen minutes to get it. I missed a couple of phone calls and when i tried to make one my phone wouldn't connect. I understand that the network is overloaded but that's just not right. Sprint says there are no outages in my area.

Now, at least, I'm back on 3G but I ran a speed test a minute ago and had 1369ms ping, .04Mbps down and .00Mbps up at 8:30. I read other people complaining about getting .5Mbps down and I'm almost jealous of them. Is anyone else having data issues this bad in Columbus? It could be my phone I guess.

A few weeks ago I was a little frustrated because I couldn't send a picture. I just thought oh well, NV is right around the corner. But, not being able to make or receive phone calls is a real issue. I have never had issues like this with Sprint. I have been with them for 13 years and have always had great service at home. I hope there is just a tower issue or something.

J

• Like 1

Don't know what is going on on the far west side of Columbus today but everywhere I went I carried around a paper weight. I was stuck on 1x. If someone sent me a text it was taking ten to fifteen minutes to get it. I missed a couple of phone calls and when i tried to make one my phone wouldn't connect. I understand that the network is overloaded but that's just not right. Sprint says there are no outages in my area.

Now, at least, I'm back on 3G but I ran a speed test a minute ago and had 1369ms ping, .04Mbps down and .00Mbps up at 8:30. I read other people complaining about getting .5Mbps down and I'm almost jealous of them. Is anyone else having data issues this bad in Columbus? It could be my phone I guess.

A few weeks ago I was a little frustrated because I couldn't send a picture. I just thought oh well, NV is right around the corner. But, not being able to make or receive phone calls is a real issue. I have never had issues like this with Sprint. I have been with them for 13 years and have always had great service at home. I hope there is just a tower issue or something.

J

I am in Lincoln Village (a couple of miles away) and I noticed my Epic 4G is eating the battery this evening. I checked the battery usage and saw the Animated Weather Widget was 62% of the usage which means it probably is having trouble updating the weather so it just keeps trying which eats the battery.

10:40PM

My current 3G SpeedTest with 2 bars is Ping = 406ms, down = 32kbps, up = 28kbps.

My current 4G SpeedTest with 2 bars is Ping = 90ms, down = 1066kbps, up = 1393kbps.

Just ran another 4G at 10:45PM

Ping = 102ms, down = 3471kbps, up = 1234kbps.

Don't know what is going on on the far west side of Columbus today but everywhere I went I carried around a paper weight. I was stuck on 1x. If someone sent me a text it was taking ten to fifteen minutes to get it. I missed a couple of phone calls and when i tried to make one my phone wouldn't connect. I understand that the network is overloaded but that's just not right. Sprint says there are no outages in my area. Now, at least, I'm back on 3G but I ran a speed test a minute ago and had 1369ms ping, .04Mbps down and .00Mbps up at 8:30. I read other people complaining about getting .5Mbps down and I'm almost jealous of them. Is anyone else having data issues this bad in Columbus? It could be my phone I guess. A few weeks ago I was a little frustrated because I couldn't send a picture. I just thought oh well, NV is right around the corner. But, not being able to make or receive phone calls is a real issue. I have never had issues like this with Sprint. I have been with them for 13 years and have always had great service at home. I hope there is just a tower issue or something. J

Unfortunately, I can confirm bad service on the north side (back at my work in Westerville) again. I'm bouncing off of 1X and 3G, with apparently missed multiple phone calls from my wife... This is getting frustrating especially the missing calls part that we are all now experiencing. I wish we this just meant NV upgrades, it's disheartening to think that this is just a random network issue.

Thanks again for everyone's insight!

Well... I called Sprint a little while ago and the CSR told me that everything in the area is working just fine. She said she would create a ticket because We are getting no data at all. Sensorly, had 0.00 down and .01 up and speedtest wouldn't do anything at all. I can make phone calls but I missed at least 1 that I know of. What's frustrating to me more than anything is that anytime I talk to someone they flat out lie to me. They tell me it's because there are network upgrades in progress "The tower on xxxx road is getting upgraded to LTE and should be done real soon". I know from being on this website that its a bunch go bologna.

Ya know, I would be a whole lot more understanding if they said there was an outage or we were over capacity but nothing makes me more mad than a lie.

I can live with slow data but not receiving calls is over the line. Before anything else, it's a phone and should work as a phone when you have full service.

Rant over.

J

• Like 1

Well... I called Sprint a little while ago and the CSR told me that everything in the area is working just fine. She said she would create a ticket because We are getting no data at all. Sensorly, had 0.00 down and .01 up and speedtest wouldn't do anything at all. I can make phone calls but I missed at least 1 that I know of. What's frustrating to me more than anything is that anytime I talk to someone they flat out lie to me. They tell me it's because there are network upgrades in progress "The tower on xxxx road is getting upgraded to LTE and should be done real soon". I know from being on this website that its a bunch go bologna. Ya know, I would be a whole lot more understanding if they said there was an outage or we were over capacity but nothing makes me more mad than a lie. I can live with slow data but not receiving calls is over the line. Before anything else, it's a phone and should work as a phone when you have full service. Rant over. J

What you need to do is see if you can get that ticket number and see if you can get the number for their Oklahoma CQC office. They're the ones that actually do the ticket work and they are very fast in doing stuff. Whether it's the answer you want or not, I'm not sure, but I had good luck with them. The people at the main Sprint number said they were doing stuff and nothing happened, but last time I called I somehow got someone that actually put a ticket in and the CQC people in Oklahoma called me and got the tower here sorted out pretty fast.

I had that number a while back and looked in my contact list and I guess I forgot to save it.

Edited by andycapps

No, I'm not sure what it did. I think it was just a behind the scenes thing that didn't make much of any impact on the phone. From here it looks like it may have fixed issues relating to using mobile data while wifi is on but the screen is off. But that's for Verizon phones, so not sure.

Edited by andycapps

Robert, any news on Columbus lately? Have they finished the design documentation yet? I found a way to search for permits in Columbus, but I'm not sure if they'd be filed under Sprint or whoever is being contracted in Columbus. https://citizenacces.../citizenaccess/

Also, zoning info is here.

Edited by andycapps
  • Like 1