Network Vision/LTE - Columbus Market

abrcrmdl23

Sprint Spark rises in 10/28 Sprint coverage map

from one of our new b41 sites shown on the coverage map (become premier to see others not shown) :

fcf391538c96d8c50e3d647ee9a3fa1e.jpg

Band 25 Second Carrier has arrived in the Columbus Market.  It gives double the capacity to the LTE sites where it is installed.  more details in Columbus sponsor.

what do you mean by "second carrier"?

The site has two carriers or channels of 1900 LTE instead of the usual one channel. This doubles the site's LTE capacity and makes it less affected by high demand from individual users in each sector. The network will switch you back and forth between the two to balance the load.
  • Like 2

The Sprint Tower serving me is located on Basil-Western Road in Canal Winchester.

I am receiving B41 signal.  I have my hotspot set to receive channels in this order B41, B26, B25.

Did these 3 speedtests within 5 minutes of each other...  Any thoughts?  Should I let it choose the channel automatically?  I have my hotspot tethered to a Pepwave Router.

I took these readings within minutes of each other.

2749871238.png

01_speedtest.JPG

02_speedtest.JPG

03_speedtest.JPG

Edited by KnarfOH
  • Like 1

The Sprint Tower serving me is located on Basil-Western Road in Canal Winchester.

I am receiving B41 signal.  I have my hotspot set to receive channels in this order B41, B26, B25.

Did these 3 speedtests within 5 minutes of each other...  Any thoughts?  Should I let it choose the channel automatically?  I have my hotspot tethered to a Pepwave Router.

I took these readings within minutes of each other.

I think your Band settings are good enough for now. You'll eventually want to go to B41/B25/B26 but you'll want people to level out onto other bands once they get Tri-band Devices.

I think your Band settings are good enough for now. You'll eventually want to go to B41/B25/B26 but you'll want people to level out onto other bands once they get Tri-band Devices.

When I first received my Zing Hotspot, it was set on AUTO meaning it would pick up an available signal, i.e. B25, B26 or B41.  However I learned I could go in and specify the order, by channel, I could connect, so I turned off AUTO and selected the channel to connect (if available) in this order B41, B26 and then B25.

I wanted to experiment because someone told me they got 35mb download on the same tower I am connecting to... but I can't remember how I made the changes to my Hotspot.  I just spent the last 20 minutes going through every screen and setting and for the life of me can't figure out how to change the channel preference to hooking up to the Sprint network.

Can anyone help? 

Edited by KnarfOH

I had the pleasure of taking a trip to the south side of Columbus yesterday and the while time i was there on my single band Galaxy note 3 i never dropped 4G once. although i must say the signal was never very strong where we were traveling i was always able to get at least 6Mbps down.

there was a few sites outside of columbus on the west side where i was able to get 30+ Mbps and that was pretty cool.

I also never once picked up 1x800 even though it looks like every tower on the south side was upgraded with it.

my experience? and how i feel?

Well a Triband phone is definitely needed for Columbus. pretty much everywhere i went the signal wasnt great but always had 4G on my note 3. most of the time while visiting i never got more than 3 bars or right around -95 to -105db or so letting me get at least 6Mbps. when outside places like malls getting a better signal i was getting between 10 and 15Mbps which is pretty darn impressive. it still seems like sprint is fighting building penetration. 

Either way im from lima and getting to use 4G made me so jelly. and then sad when we left the upgraded area LOL.

• Like 1

For those who wish to see info about Network Vision sites (over 500 in greater Columbus area - 3G for voice and up to 3Mbps data), 1x800 (long distance 3G for voice and some data),  Band 25 LTE (traditional LTE up to 37Mbps data), Band 41 LTE 2500 (215+ sites in our market) for high capacity with top speeds over 60Mbps (soon to be double that), Band 26 LTE 800 (140+ sites) for long distance and building penetration LTE, and other stuff you likely have never heard of, you can now make one donation with the Thanksgiving special for premier membership: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/6645-thanksgivingblack-friday-premier-sponsor-upgrade-sale/&do=findComment&comment=385356

P.S.: or you can make a smaller donation for six months of traditional LTE info including high capacity and Band 25 LTE 1900 second carrier sites.

• Like 2

Thanksgiving....

:clock: Sprint has made a lot of progress in a year in the Columbus Market: 

Signal Type (Sites)          11/26/2013    Today

Network Vision 3G               149         404

1x800                            54         223

Band 25 LTE 1900                 56         341

LTE 1900 second carrier           0           1

Band 26 LTE 800                   0         142

Band 41 LTE 2500                  0         216

A year ago the LG G2 was the only fully functioning triband phone.  :phone:

:thx:

• Like 5

Thanksgiving....

:clock: Sprint has made a lot of progress in a year:

Signal Type (Sites) 11/26/2013 Today

Network Vision 3G 149 404

1x800 54 223

Band 25 LTE 1900 56 341

LTE 1900 second carrier 0 1

Band 26 LTE 800 0 142

Band 41 LTE 2500 0 216

A year ago the LG G2 was the only full functioning triband phone. :phone:

:thx:

Happy Thanksgiving!!
  • Like 4

Ive been experiencing dropped calls on 270 NB between broad and 670 (eastside), parts of 161 to 62 going in to johnstown. Any one else been having this issue? Iphone 6

The tower you'd use going from New Albany to Johnstown has had some issues over the past 2 weeks, 1 sector at a time. I've had no issues since Tuesday, so I think it's been fixed. I was roaming quite a bit, as this is my home tower.
  • Like 2

Sprint announces its LTE network is nearly complete

http://www.betawired.com/sprint-announces-its-lte-network-is-nearly-complete/1420583/

Looking at the NV changes map it seems they are definitely ramping down. It looks like they're working on the big trouble sites. maybe somebody will get their GMO's replaced now?

• Like 1

Interesting story online from USAToday....

4G me not: WiMax isn't LTE and is going away at Sprint resellers

CLICK HERE TO READ THE STORY

I wish it would die quicker than in 4th quarter of next yr. In my opinion, Sprint keeps things around for much longer than they should (ref: Nextel). Sprint may be happy at their conversion rate and see that as a success, but they only won the battle and lost the war.