Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

It sounds like your area is a bit spectrum constrained on Band 41. Hopefully T-Mobile buys or leases the spectrum from the squatters holding onto it. Sprint didn't really have the funds or bargaining position to negotiate those squatters away. The new T-Mobile does.

[[Template forums/front/topics/activity is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
6 hours ago, transitwatch889 said:

I am now connecting to 15 megahertz of T-Mobile band 41! In addition to the 20 MHz of NR 41. From what I can tell the Sprint site is still transmitting three carriers of two band 41, 20 wide channels and a 10 wide channel. For total 50 MHz there 

B41+B41 in CA? 

7 hours ago, nexgencpu said:

B41+B41 in CA? 

No it drops off to just straight LTE single carrier!

4 hours ago, transitwatch889 said:

No it drops off to just straight LTE single carrier!

Thanks,

Funny, I meant N41+B41(autocorrect switches N to B for some reason) but you still understood what I meant. lol

3 hours ago, nexgencpu said:

Thanks,

Funny, I meant N41+B41(autocorrect switches N to B for some reason) but you still understood what I meant. lol

Yeah I understood! But I don't think T-Mobile wants to do that because they pretty much told Sprint customers with their first generation 5G devices they were no good just to turn around and then say psych we got you LOL! So it's still just anchoring to b2/4/66

• Like 1

I got an iPhone 12 Pro Max and one of the things I've noticed is consistently higher 5G speeds on it than I used to get on my S20 Ultra. I have also noticed that it seems to have an easier time connecting to and staying on 5G even in Auto mode. In Manhattan in area where I knew I should have mmWave coverage but I always had trouble connecting with my S20 Ultra, the iPhone connected and gave me over 400Mbps down.

Another thing that Apple did with the iPhone is that when your device is actually connected to 5G, the signal strength indicator reflects your 5G signal strength as opposed to your LTE signal strength. So if you're in an area with weak 5G but strong LTE, you'll only see 1 or 2 bars. Once you drop out of 5G coverage, it'll go back to reflecting LTE signal strength while still showing the 5G icon in the top right.

I got my fastest speeds ever from my home site just now on this phone.

FftkJwY.png

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Another update. My mom purchased an iPhone 12 Pro Max on Verizon today. At my house, she has between 1-2 bars of n5 and speeds have ranged from 60-100Mbps so far.

One thing I've noticed is that DSS seems to provide very inconsistent speeds. The same speed test in one spot gives me wildly varying results.

So I don't know if they're doing some Network optimizations in my area because of the new tower builds but I keep dropping down to a single channel of either band 12 or band 41. And rolling off nr41 off to nr71 even though the signal is there. It's kind of annoying to constantly see the indicator jump in and out of frequencies.

I feel like T-Mobile has too many bands and there's like no priority to which when you lock onto and then drop off to from there.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• large.unreadcontent.png.6ef00db54e758d06

• gallery_1_23_9202.png

• Similar Content

• By danlodish345
      Even though Sprint doesn't have the best coverage in my area. I do have lots of memories and nostalgia with the company. I wonder who else here will miss Sprint besides me?
    • By vanko987
      I'm new to this forum, and I've seen people mention cell sites with specific ID's (for example, SF33XC664). Is there any significance to these ID's, and is there a way to decode them? Also, how do I figure out what the cell site ID's are for towers near me?
      Thanks! I'm excited to start talking on this site more 😀
    • By lilotimz
      Samsung Network Vision equipment are highly distinct and fairly easy to spot compared to the equipment that other vendors are deploying. Sprint is Samsung's first extremely massive American contract (baring Clearwire) so there  should be no issues in confusing these equipment for another carrier which happens often with Ericsson NV equipment.

Below are images of Samsung equipment which includes antennas, remote radio units, base stations, and their mounting configurations. 

Samsung antenna with eSMR 800 RRU & PCS 1900 RRU

A close look at a Samsung setup

Next Generation Samsung Configuration
      RRH-P4 4T4R 1.9 GHz  | RRH-C4 4T4R 800 MHz| RRH-V3 2.5 GHz

Next Generation 8 Port Dual Band Antenna Setup 
      4 port 800 MHz RRH-C4 800

(source: dkyeager)

(source: dkyeager)
      Narrow beam setup

High Capacity Site with 2 Antennas & 3 RRUs (2x PCS & 1x SMR).
      Second antenna is PCS only for now.

Canadian IBEZ (NO SMR)

Special Case PCS Only Setup for Canadian IBEZ

Close up of standard antenna connectors 

Samsung Cabinets

Powerpoint slides from Samsung / Sprint
      *disclaimer - all  powerpoint diagrams and images were found through public municipality online databases and is by no means misappropriated through malicious means*
      *Credit goes to those whom took pictures of these equipment. You know who you are*
    • By kckid
      Sprint announced at MWC trade show in Barcelona that 5G will go live with 4 cities starting in May  (Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas and Kansas City )
      https://phys.org/news/2019-02-sprint-5g-network-chicago-atlanta.html

• Long live Wimax, Clearwire, Sprint Spark, Sprint LTE Advance, Sprint LTE Plus, Sprint!
    • Has your site been upgraded? Because B4/B66 performs worse on the new Nokia AAFIA Massive MIMO equipment in Texas. Before the upgrades, T-Mobile physically split sectors for B2/4/66 and coverage+performance was pretty impressive. B4/66 coverage was actually very close to that of B2 (even outperforming it in some instances). Now that my local tower has been upgraded, I still receive B12 and B2 from it. But my B4/66 now comes from a different neighboring tower as my home tower's B4/66 is drowned out. As you can imagine, I no longer get the same peak speeds as before since CA doesn't play nice with bands coming from different towers. Even the newly added B41 has a better reach than B4/66 (getting 80+ mbps downloads on B41+B41, T-Mobile just needs to optimize load balancing as B41 thresholds seem very conservative).
    • I don't have the "hearing me" problem, but I bet it's network related..... I just rarely get calls and texts when people call me or text me. Telemarketers seem to always get through but never the important calls. The New T-mobile sucks just as hard as the Old Sprint. 
    • At one point i was on B66 all the time at our house, but now i almost never see Band 66.  I haven't paid attention to the PLMNs,  i will have to check.  We haven't had the issue in a few days, hopefully they have fixed whatever the issue was.  
    • It's amazing how quickly T-Mobile is integrating Sprint's network assets after the merger and putting itself on real competitive footing with Verizon/AT&T. With the launch of the 5G iPhone, uptake of new 5G devices on T-Mobile's network must be substantial. T-Mobile's midband capacity from Sprint is making a real difference in usability and speed.