Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

22 minutes ago, mirskyc said:

Anyone know who this COW belongs to? It was put up yesterday on the corner of 33rd St and 5th Ave, right across the street from the Empire State Building. Its facing south. I couldn't find any up coming events in the area that it could be added capacity for. 

72MYHHR.jpg

XCWf1j7.jpg

Looks like Sprint's 9 beam antennas..

Check out @SprintCTO’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/SprintCTO/status/964513861847207937?s=09

3 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

Looks like Sprint's 9 beam antennas..

Check out @SprintCTO’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/SprintCTO/status/964513861847207937?s=09

Didn't think it was sprint. And I haven't noticed any other equipment present in the area but I'll walk around lunch time to see if there is anything else. 

I'm still connected to the standard Clear B41 site. could it be possible they are replacing it and wanted to have a back up solution to pick up the weight of the tower being offline?

27 minutes ago, mirskyc said:

Didn't think it was sprint. And I haven't noticed any other equipment present in the area but I'll walk around lunch time to see if there is anything else. 

I'm still connected to the standard Clear B41 site. could it be possible they are replacing it and wanted to have a back up solution to pick up the weight of the tower being offline?

Could be with M-MIMO equipment being tested. But most likely an event going on. 

Try to get a closer shot of the rear and connectors.

7 hours ago, mirskyc said:

I know you visit LI(I know LI is pretty damn big) more often than most on here probably, let us know if you could go see and test one of these badboys in person..

https://twitter.com/SprintCTO/status/1009910413448896512

I know you visit LI(I know LI is pretty damn big) more often than most on here probably, let us know if you could go see and test one of these badboys in person..

I'm actually from LI. But I'm actually moving into Manhattan in a week. 

I've spotted 2 strand mount small cells so far. One I know the exact location and was able to take pictures. I think I posted about it on reddit but might not of had pictures yet.  The other ice only connected to while driving. My legs probably have alot more but I've only witnessed 2. The one I found had B41 relay for backhaul which was annoying since altice has coax everywhere. Range is a fraction of the MMs in NYC 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, nexgencpu said:

A little detective work and i found the exact spot of the strand small cell. I really hope they start to deploy these more rapidly. I wonder if these also broadcast WiFi for the optimum / cable WiFi hotspots

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8494995,-73.6441074,3a,75y,163.45h,89.87t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sOe0CpoSYe1ghnNs9tR08Xg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, mirskyc said:

A little detective work and i found the exact spot of the strand small cell. I really hope they start to deploy these more rapidly. I wonder if these also broadcast WiFi for the optimum / cable WiFi hotspots

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8494995,-73.6441074,3a,75y,163.45h,89.87t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sOe0CpoSYe1ghnNs9tR08Xg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

It makes sense that it would also broadcast Wifi considering how many AP locations they have and the amount of  bandwidth Docsis 3.1 allows.

On 6/21/2018 at 5:37 PM, nexgencpu said:

Oh wow. Don’t know exactly where that is, but if I’m ever in the area I’ll check it out.

LI needs a denser network, functional LTE service is spotty.

• Like 2

Prayers have been answered. Somehow sprint has LTE in Penn Station. I havent seen any change in the DAS antennas that are all over but I'm getting strong B25 signals. Same set up as above ground 10x10 + 5x5. Speeds aren't great but it's better than before. I guess this is sort of a GMO conversation type of set up for a DAS. 

edit: just got confirmation there is also B26 but B41 is still pending with no date. my guess is the antennas can't broadcast 2500mhz

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
A new record for myself in Brooklyn.EVW4M0J.jpg
Also interesting to see video streaming speeds through fast.com in the same area. 
Wq1UmN5.jpg
I just got a new record in Brooklyn as well. Crown Heights on Eastern Parkway. Debug menu only shows 64QAM
Screenshot_20180729-174928_Speedtest.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mirskyc said:

I just got a new record in Brooklyn as well. Crown Heights on Eastern Parkway. Debug menu only shows 64QAM
Screenshot_20180729-174928_Speedtest.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

We took our tests in the exact same area lol

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, mirskyc said:

http://newsroom.sprint.com/sprints-next-gen-network-build-gains-momentum.htm

there is a better picture of the massive MIMO equipment in Brooklyn, maybe someone can figure out where it is now. 

Coincidence? I think not!  Somebody at Sprint read our thread and threw us a bone. 

?

At least I like to believe that..

4 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

Coincidence? I think not!  Somebody at Sprint read our thread and threw us a bone. 

?

At least I like to believe that..

I'll be there in a heart beat once someone locates it. the article also mentions that some of the MIMO equipment is live for commercial testing. 

I just don't understand the hold up for 256QAM and 4x4 MIMO on current equipment. They demoed it in New Orleans over a year ago. 

2 minutes ago, mirskyc said:

I'll be there in a heart beat once someone locates it. the article also mentions that some of the MIMO equipment is live for commercial testing. 

I just don't understand the hold up for 256QAM and 4x4 MIMO on current equipment. They demoed it in New Orleans over a year ago. 

What I hear is that they are prioritizing density over capacity for now(to finally get VoLTE online by labor day?). Especially any place north of 170st where 3rd carrier is currently not possible, 4x4 would be a huge boon.

26 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

What I hear is that they are prioritizing density over capacity for now(to finally get VoLTE online by labor day?). Especially any place north of 170st where 3rd carrier is currently not possible, 4x4 would be a huge boon.

Any idea how density is being increased up north? Are they doing more light post MMs? I would think with Sprint existing towers and all of the clear only sites they would have pretty good density like Manhattan. 

20 minutes ago, mirskyc said:

Any idea how density is being increased up north? Are they doing more light post MMs? I would think with Sprint existing towers and all of the clear only sites they would have pretty good density like Manhattan. 

Most of the work is on MM. Density is pretty good in the Bronx/Yonkers and Scarsdale areas, a bit further north before White Plains rely heavily on B25/26 since it's more suburban, so density could definitely use more work.

Most of the work is on MM. Density is pretty good in the Bronx/Yonkers and Scarsdale areas, a bit further north before White Plains rely heavily on B25/26 since it's more suburban, so density could definitely use more work.

hopefully some of those 7000 strand mounts are also in the Westchester area. I have a feeling more than few of them are in Long Island.