Jump to content
Ace41690

Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, mirskyc said:

Just ordered it. Unfortunately I wont have it for my Chicago trip. Thanks for the help.

 

How do you find Calling Plus to be in NYC? With my essential phone I drop to 3G quite often. 

Also as a side note: The GS9 also supports handing off from Wifi to LTE and vise versa during calls which comes in handy when keeping calling plus enabled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone personally spotted 4x4 MIMO or 256QAM in NYC yet? This is one area where Sprint is falling behind. Correct me if I'm wrong but the 8t8r B41 sites can do both 4x4 MIMO and 256QAM via software update?

Sprint has been talking about massive MIMO but have yet to even go from 2x2 to 4x4 which would double the speed of B41

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, mirskyc said:

Has anyone personally spotted 4x4 MIMO or 256QAM in NYC yet? This is one area where Sprint is falling behind. Correct me if I'm wrong but the 8t8r B41 sites can do both 4x4 MIMO and 256QAM via software update?

Sprint has been talking about massive MIMO but have yet to even go from 2x2 to 4x4 which would double the speed of B41

256QAM has already been spotted, but hard to confirm since it requires a super clean SNR plus an app that can confirm it, and yes, 8t8r can do 4x4MIMO with software update. It seems Nokia integrating ALU equipment has been a huge headache. I personally think it's more an issue where they have only deployed 2xCA, like any place north of 167st in Manhattan or the Bronx, they could definitely use 4x4MIMO. Most places that have 3xCA live already perform on par to the best the other carriers are offering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

256QAM has already been spotted, but hard to confirm since it requires a super clean SNR plus an app that can confirm it, and yes, 8t8r can do 4x4MIMO with software update. It seems Nokia integrating ALU equipment has been a huge headache. I personally think it's more an issue where they have only deployed 2xCA, like any place north of 167st in Manhattan or the Bronx, they could definitely use 4x4MIMO. Most places that have 3xCA live already perform on par to the best the other carriers are offering.

I have a few sites that I can get close so SNR should be good. But from my understanding it SNR can be degraded due to congestion. I'll have to check for 256QAM. The engineering screen on the GS9 displays QAM numbers at the bottom i was assuming those were accurate. But it doesn't seem to show MIMO. I would root my GS9 and do network Guru but I can't seem to find directions to root the US version of the GS9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have a Galaxy device and go to the LTE menu is ##DEBUG# from the dialer, you can see what QAM is active during you data session.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://newsroom.sprint.com/sprint-announces-new-york-city-phoenix-and-kansas-city-among-first-to-experience-sprint-5g.htm

 

4x4 mimo enabled on all Sprint B41 8t8r site plus Massive MIMO replacing all Clear B41 site would put Sprint a head of the competition in NYC 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mirskyc said:

http://newsroom.sprint.com/sprint-announces-new-york-city-phoenix-and-kansas-city-among-first-to-experience-sprint-5g.htm

 

4x4 mimo enabled on all Sprint B41 8t8r site plus Massive MIMO replacing all Clear B41 site would put Sprint a head of the competition in NYC 

Awesome!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to that they have already started deploying Massive MIMO antennas in NYC since April. Why haven't we spotted any yet?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

According to that they have already started deploying Massive MIMO antennas in NYC since April. Why haven't we spotted any yet?

Has Nokia's equipment passed FCC? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

Has Nokia's equipment passed FCC? 

I think its time for you to tweet at John Saw again 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mirskyc said:

I think its time for you to tweet at John Saw again 

Ha, don't want to bother him too much, one of you guys should step up to the plate.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if anyone saw this yet. While Sprint didn't really move a head of the competition they did improve in all the categories besides overall performance. Not sure how that works since Overall should be based on the other 5 categories. 

 

https://www.rootmetrics.com/en-US/rootscore/map/metro/new-york-city-and-tri-state-area/2018/1H

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, mirskyc said:

Not sure if anyone saw this yet. While Sprint didn't really move a head of the competition they did improve in all the categories besides overall performance. Not sure how that works since Overall should be based on the other 5 categories. 

 

https://www.rootmetrics.com/en-US/rootscore/map/metro/new-york-city-and-tri-state-area/2018/1H

The NYC tests also include at least half of New Jersey and the suburbs. Those areas still need a lot of work, plus you add the Altice small cells stuff  I think better results down the road, but with this merger thing going we will never know how great the network will get if this transaction close by the first half of 2019.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SprintNYC said:

The NYC tests also include at least half of New Jersey and the suburbs. Those areas still need a lot of work, plus you add the Altice small cells stuff  I think better results down the road, but with this merger thing going we will never know how great the network will get if this transaction close by the first half of 2019.

I've seen a lot of work done in Nassau county and it seems like a lot of work has been done in jersey with GMOs and adding B41 either full builds or MM. 

I was expecting improvement on the results but knew they weren't going to be taking first place. Hopefully 2nd half 2018 is a lot better with more B41 being deployed and the 2nd carrier of B25 being 10x10 on every site. Once that done they can do CA on B25 again.

 

It annoying how they can do CA on 2 5x5 B25 Carriers but can't do 10x10 + 5x5 CA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mirskyc said:

I've seen a lot of work done in Nassau county and it seems like a lot of work has been done in jersey with GMOs and adding B41 either full builds or MM. 

I was expecting improvement on the results but knew they weren't going to be taking first place. Hopefully 2nd half 2018 is a lot better with more B41 being deployed and the 2nd carrier of B25 being 10x10 on every site. Once that done they can do CA on B25 again.

 

It annoying how they can do CA on 2 5x5 B25 Carriers but can't do 10x10 + 5x5 CA

Two things, I hope they are using an updated GS8 for testing, latest versions radio performance is considerbly better. Also, I hate that they include NJ. It's gotten a lot better the last few months or so but still nowhere near as great as NYC..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

Two things, I hope they are using an updated GS8 for testing, latest versions radio performance is considerbly better. Also, I hate that they include NJ. It's gotten a lot better the last few months or so but still nowhere near as great as NYC..

You can see just how bad the rest of the metro area is dragging down the NYC by the median speed of the last testing period being 5.8Mbps. I'm pretty sure that almost no one in this sub is seeing median or average speeds anywhere as low as 5.8Mbps. The fact that there was a 137.93% increase to 13.8Mbps in one testing period is noteworthy though. It might be due to Altice's strand mounts going up in places that have historically struggled with poor site density like Suffolk County, Long Island.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

You can see just how bad the rest of the metro area is dragging down the NYC by the median speed of the last testing period being 5.8Mbps. I'm pretty sure that almost no one in this sub is seeing median or average speeds anywhere as low as 5.8Mbps. The fact that there was a 137.93% increase to 13.8Mbps in one testing period is noteworthy though. It might be due to Altice's strand mounts going up in places that have historically struggled with poor site density like Suffolk County, Long Island.

I've only spotted one strand mount cell. It has LTE UE relay for backhaul. Was hoping they were going to utilize Altice for backhaul but this is a good start. I hope to find more of these soon. Wish I had a source for locations. I would love to map these. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently there are Massive MIMO sites in NYC. Does anyone know if there is a way to look up NYC permits to possible track down where this site might be?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, mirskyc said:

Apparently there are Massive MIMO sites in NYC. Does anyone know if there is a way to look up NYC permits to possible track down where this site might be?

They have yet to pass FCC, so cannot be live for public consumption.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Noticed recently that the MM on a light post near me doesn't display as B41 MM anymore on SCP. According to the debug menu on my phone it isn't allowing CA or might only have 1 carrier now. This site used to have 2 carriers and they would do CA.

Were GCIs changed that is effecting SCP?

P77X18c.jpg?1QMTFeeF.jpg?1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, mirskyc said:

Noticed recently that the MM on a light post near me doesn't display as B41 MM anymore on SCP. According to the debug menu on my phone it isn't allowing CA or might only have 1 carrier now. This site used to have 2 carriers and they would do CA.

Were GCIs changed that is effecting SCP?

P77X18c.jpg?1QMTFeeF.jpg?1

As far I know, there are no MM sites broadcasting 39965(also no CA with 39965 since they have designated these for SC/MB). This is most likely either a frequency change or a new site. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

As far I know, there are no MM sites broadcasting 39965(also no CA with 39965 since they have designated these for SC/MB). This is most likely either a frequency change or a new site. 

Interesting this site has been here since summer of 2016 when they first started to bring the old clear small cells online. Noticed this change maybe 1 to 2 months ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, nexgencpu said:

As far I know, there are no MM sites broadcasting 39965(also no CA with 39965 since they have designated these for SC/MB). This is most likely either a frequency change or a new site. 

They changed the GCI for lampposts MM 3 months ago, on my previous post, for Manhattan from 0120 to 0130 prefixes. Probably they ran out of GCI from expanding MM lamppost, pole around 5 boroughs. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, RaigekiNYC said:

They changed the GCI for lampposts MM 3 months ago, on my previous post, for Manhattan from 0120 to 0130 prefixes. Probably they ran out of GCI from expanding MM lamppost, pole around 5 boroughs. 

The Issue is, I have yet to see a mini macro site broadcasting 39965 in NYC proper, this sounds more like a SC running single carrier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

The Issue is, I have yet to see a mini macro site broadcasting 39965 in NYC proper, this sounds more like a SC running single carrier.

It actually band 41 pico cell in the box of lamppost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • large.unreadcontent.png.6ef00db54e758d06

  • gallery_1_23_9202.png

  • Similar Content

    • By vanko987
      I'm new to this forum, and I've seen people mention cell sites with specific ID's (for example, SF33XC664). Is there any significance to these ID's, and is there a way to decode them? Also, how do I figure out what the cell site ID's are for towers near me?
      Thanks! I'm excited to start talking on this site more 😀
    • By lilotimz
      Samsung Network Vision equipment are highly distinct and fairly easy to spot compared to the equipment that other vendors are deploying. Sprint is Samsung's first extremely massive American contract (baring Clearwire) so there  should be no issues in confusing these equipment for another carrier which happens often with Ericsson NV equipment.

      Below are images of Samsung equipment which includes antennas, remote radio units, base stations, and their mounting configurations. 
       
      Samsung antenna with eSMR 800 RRU & PCS 1900 RRU

      A close look at a Samsung setup





      Next Generation Samsung Configuration
      RRH-P4 4T4R 1.9 GHz  | RRH-C4 4T4R 800 MHz| RRH-V3 2.5 GHz

      Next Generation 8 Port Dual Band Antenna Setup 
      4 port 800 MHz RRH-C4 800

      (source: dkyeager)

      (source: dkyeager)
      Narrow beam setup

      High Capacity Site with 2 Antennas & 3 RRUs (2x PCS & 1x SMR).
      Second antenna is PCS only for now.


      Canadian IBEZ (NO SMR)

      Special Case PCS Only Setup for Canadian IBEZ




      Close up of standard antenna connectors 

      Samsung Cabinets

       
       
      Powerpoint slides from Samsung / Sprint
      *disclaimer - all  powerpoint diagrams and images were found through public municipality online databases and is by no means misappropriated through malicious means*
      *Credit goes to those whom took pictures of these equipment. You know who you are*
    • By kckid
      Sprint announced at MWC trade show in Barcelona that 5G will go live with 4 cities starting in May  (Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas and Kansas City )
      https://phys.org/news/2019-02-sprint-5g-network-chicago-atlanta.html
       
    • By ActionJacksonWX
      Sprint announced the MVNO Google Fi will use its network for 5G in a press release (that is, once there are actually 5G capable phones compatible with Google Fi someday):
      https://newsroom.sprint.com/sprint-to-provide-5g-wireless-services-for-google-fi.htm
       
      This is the first I've heard about Fi and 5G so far. Google has pretty much kept mum on the topic, so I'm somewhat encouraged.
    • By lilotimz
      Samsung TDD-LTE gear which are being utilized in Clearwire priority sites. .   Clearwire - Samsung TDD-LTE RRH SLS-BD106Q & Antennas           Samsung TD-LTE RRUs mounted behind BRS/EBS Antenna     Sprint 2500-2600 mhz TD-LTE Setup Note the Antennas are much thicker and fatter than the antennas being utilized by Sprint Network Vision.  
       

       
      Clearwire TD-LTE Base Station / Cabinet
      May be subject to change as TD-LTE sites start being integrated into the Network Vision setups.
       

       

       

       
      Happy Hunting!
        I'll clean the post up this weekend when I have more time.   Courtesy of Sbolen from Missouri market. Samsung TDD RRH SLS-BD104Q1
      Samsung TDD RRH SLS-BD106Q
  • Posts

  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...