Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

I think you're right. His screen shot is showing SVDO (that's what happens when the notification bar turns green). It sure looks like a GS3 screen to me.

Robert

Yes definitely is a GSIII...mine does that when i am using earphones and the icons are the same.

Thanks for the info..your speeds are considerably better than mine, also inspiring to see some decent speeds not to far from my location..

You're welcome. My speeds started getting better about a month ago, but this is the first time I've seen EHRPD around my location. I also know that there has been some fiber optic cable work going on near me. I don't know if it's sprint related though. Maybe Robert can shed some light on that?

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/08/29/roads-reopened-in-yonkers-after-water-main-break/

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

You're welcome. My speeds started getting better about a month ago' date=' but this is the first time I've seen EHRPD around my location. I also know that there has been some fiber optic cable work going on near me. I don't know if it's sprint related though. Maybe Robert can shed some light on that?

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/08/29/roads-reopened-in-yonkers-after-water-main-break/

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2[/quote']

We have maps of completed NV sites in each market that get updated weekly in our Sponsor section. Your best bet is to check it out and see if one is near you.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

We have maps of completed NV sites in each market that get updated weekly in our Sponsor section. Your best bet is to check it out and see if one is near you.

I do, thanks for the hard work. The sites that I'm receiving EHRPD aren't on the sites completed map or on the august schedule map

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I can't wait until Network Vision is in full effect, especially in Jamaica, because...

EBC9E0F7-BEB6-413A-AF42-15C9E2AA69B3-2194-0000019727E042C4_zps7d8f0b4d.jpg

I know speed tests don't really tell the whole story but my speeds are normally very slow. I don't need 4 Mbps speeds but I'd like to not feel like I'm on dial up.

• Like 1

I do' date=' thanks for the hard work. The sites that I'm receiving EHRPD aren't on the sites completed map or on the august schedule map

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2[/quote']

eHRPD is not any indication of Network Vision or LTE upgrades. eHRPD is a software upgrade that occurs over a whole cluster of sites, or even a whole market all at once. eHRPD is on many, many legacy sites.

eHRPD is used to allow seamless hand offs from LTE to 3G. So if you think about it, any possible site within 5-10 miles of a LTE site would need eHRPD. Even the legacy sites.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

eHRPD is not any indication of Network Vision or LTE upgrades. eHRPD is a software upgrade that occurs over a whole cluster of sites, or even a whole market all at once. eHRPD is on many, many legacy sites.

eHRPD is used to allow seamless hand offs from LTE to 3G. So if you think about it, any possible site within 5-10 miles of a LTE site would need eHRPD. Even the legacy sites.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

Thanks again for your awesome work on this forum, I would have pulled my hairs out a looooong time ago if it weren't for this site.

Going back to your quote, so does that mean there is an LTE site within 5-10miles?

Thanks again for your awesome work on this forum' date=' I would have pulled my hairs out a looooong time ago if it weren't for this site.

Going back to your quote, so does that mean there is an LTE site within 5-10miles?[/quote']

No. They deploy eHRPD over an entire cluster of sites (10-30 sites) or even over a whole market. So it means that they are planning LTE to be somewhere within the cluster or adjacent to the cluster, or in the market or adjacent to the market.

However, in some places eHRPD goes live 6 months in advance. In other places less than a month. eHRPD appearing is not necessarily the sign of LTE imminence. But it is a needed step in the whole process.

Based on Robert's last update, it seems as though NYC is slightly behind schedule as far as completion with only 9%+ done. I'm really crossing my fingers that at least some lte towers go live in October, as my Galaxy S3 feels crippled without the high speeds.

They might very well be behind deploying LTE, but as the press release mentions, they have started Deployment of NV and its definitely active in quite a few places ive been to last 2 days including 42nd street 8th ave area and in the Bronx Grand Concourse area..

eHRPD has also showed up in Brooklyn as of today. One thing I noticed on the NV tower near where I work is that pings seem to be worse than they were before the switch to eHRPD. After the tower got NV pings were sub 100 but today they were around ~250. Perhaps things are being routed differently.

I'm sure all of us NYers are hoping to taste lte, even if it's spotty, in the next month or so. I give Sprint credit, because I've noticed improvements in 3g data speeds throughout the city, but there's no substitute for 4g. With my WiMax devices, I would get peak speeds of over 11mbps down. That's still better than peak 1mbps evdo speeds. I believe Sprint can come through, but they never specified in writing when NYC would get lte. Only internally was October a goal. We'll just have to see, because "in the coming months" is as vague as can be. To me that means more than a month, less than a year.

I was at a buddies place on 72nd st yesterday and I was averaging about 2.3 mb/s so you are right it is not a substitute for LTE but its a hell of a lot better than those abysmal 100 k sec with horrible ping times. So gotta give credit where it is due.

Seing eHRPD today in Midtown for the first time. Though I am still convinced the "NV complete" site across from my office is not actually updated as speeds are still <200k

Also saw it in lower Manhattan in SoHo/Village. It was at Houston and Thompson street. I had 2 bars and pulled about 500-600 kbps.