Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

I was outside of MSG this afternoon and the network slowed to a crawl. My guess is there was an event going on but I am not certain. The signal was very strong in the -70's but the speeds weren't the best. Somehow ping stayed low though. Speeds struggled to go above 300kbps on both download and upload but my pings ranged from 30ms to 39ms. I don't understand. The network remained very usable throughout my entire time there. I was able to load Instagram, browse the web, etc. without any problems.

I didn't try YouTube though because I knew it was going to be horrible. That area definitely could use Band 41 and Band 26.

I was outside of MSG this afternoon and the network slowed to a crawl. My guess is there was an event going on but I am not certain. The signal was very strong in the -70's but the speeds weren't the best. Somehow ping stayed low though. Speeds struggled to go above 300kbps on both download and upload but my pings ranged from 30ms to 39ms. I don't understand. The network remained very usable throughout my entire time there. I was able to load Instagram, browse the web, etc. without any problems.

I didn't try YouTube though because I knew it was going to be horrible. That area definitely could use Band 41 and Band 26.

every carrier has issues with manattan. Too many people
  • Like 1

Not every part of Manhattan. Most of my issues in Manhattan occur in Midtown.

I get the opposite, I have pretty great service in Midtown, except very small pockets, in fact, if you look up Manhattan on netindex, sprint is about to pass Tmobile (within 500k/sec of Tmobile) sitting at an average of about 11mb/s.

• Like 1

There is B41 in that area, I connect to it all the time...

Really?! I didn't connect at all. Next time I'm there I'll have to try again.

Take a look at the clear maps, they still show as inactive, but in fact they have been live for a while now. I get excellent speeds around MSG. Could have been your device just needed a reboot or airplane mode toggle to allow it to rescan. 

Also, optimizations are still underway in midtown, I just started connecting to B26 around that area as well, so that could be causing some potential issues.

• Like 1

Checking out the new mall in bay plaza in the bronx first one of its kind in 40 years in nyc(awesome btw)and service in and around the shopping center is all B41 with great speeds. Indoors speeds are pretty good jumping between B25 n 26. It really is great to be on sprint right now in nyc.

• Like 4

Checking out the new mall in bay plaza in the bronx first one of its kind in 40 years in nyc(awesome btw)and service in and around the shopping center is all B41 with great speeds. Indoors speeds are pretty good jumping between B25 n 26. It really is great to be on sprint right now in nyc.

Sadly it's still way out of my way. Brooklyn, Manhattan, and Long Island are more accessible for me than the Bronx.

spent most of Sunday on the Great Lawn in Central Park.  LTE was pretty spotty, occasionally dropping out if I walked across the lawn to a bathroom and would switch over to 1X or 3G and require an airplane mode toggle.  when connected to LTE, speeds hovered between 2 to 3.5 down and 2.2-2.3 up.  service worked well enough for instagram, facebook and media streaming so overall alright for a Sunday afternoon in a very crowded Central Park. unfortunately, I encountered the usual problem of having zero reliability when moving more than a few hundred yards from an area where I was getting good service - walking 100 yards north meant that service slowed down so dramatically that iMessage no longer worked. 

Edited by Morningside78

I see you came by my hood. How did u enjoy the traffic? I drive the Bx12 so I'm there everyday and have been getting great service there for a few months now. It may have to do with the new Sprint corporate store inside the mall.

0e220b576ef619198edf83992b82e019.jpg

• Like 4

I see you came by my hood. How did u enjoy the traffic? I drive the Bx12 so I'm there everyday and have been getting great service there for a few months now. It may have to do with the new Sprint corporate store inside the mall.

That's dope! My dad is a bus operator too. He isn't as technically inclined as I am though, otherwise I'd have him run Sensorly while he drives the bus in Queens.

• Like 2

spent most of Sunday on the Great Lawn in Central Park.  LTE was pretty spotty, occasionally dropping out if I walked across the lawn to a bathroom and would switch over to 1X or 3G and require an airplane mode toggle.  when connected to LTE, speeds hovered between 2 to 3.5 down and 2.2-2.3 up.  service worked well enough for instagram, facebook and media streaming so overall alright for a Sunday afternoon in a very crowded Central Park. unfortunately, I encountered the usual problem of having zero reliability when moving more than a few hundred yards from an area where I was getting good service - walking 100 yards north meant that service slowed down so dramatically that iMessage no longer worked. 

I think that's one of the issues that hopefully will be worked out with optimization in the network.

That's dope! My dad is a bus operator too. He isn't as technically inclined as I am though, otherwise I'd have him run Sensorly while he drives the bus in Queens.

Lol I do feel like the oddball among my coworkers. I am the go to guy when it comes to tech tho. I have been running sensorly on my entire route where I have been getting great service all along it. Both terminal points where I take my breaks are 206 & Bway and Bay plaza have great B41 service. Great for YouTube and Netflix. Reason why I'm not picking out of the bx12 route. A year ago service was horrible in those 2 locations granted I had a GS3.
  • Like 4

Lol I do feel like the oddball among my coworkers. I am the go to guy when it comes to tech tho. I have been running sensorly on my entire route where I have been getting great service all along it. Both terminal points where I take my breaks are 206 & Bway and Bay plaza have great B41 service. Great for YouTube and Netflix. Reason why I'm not picking out of the bx12 route. A year ago service was horrible in those 2 locations granted I had a GS3.

I've always wanted to be a bus operator or a train operator since I was a young boy. Would you say your job is enjoyable? Sorry for getting off topic but I can't help but ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I'm taking the tmobile test drive, should get phone in a couple days. Will be interesting comparing tmobile.

As far as I know, T-Mobile is good in the city in most areas. In some areas, their site density just doesn't cut it though.

I've always wanted to be a bus operator or a train operator since I was a young boy. Would you say your job is enjoyable? Sorry for getting off topic but I can't help but ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes i enjoy it. Its a great job go for it.
  • Like 1

Well I'm taking the tmobile test drive, should get phone in a couple days. Will be interesting comparing tmobile.

definitely interested to hear your findings with this.  one thing I can definitely say is that T-Mobile's pricing becomes a whole lot less appealing when you factor in having to pay full price for every phone on your account

• Like 1

definitely interested to hear your findings with this. one thing I can definitely say is that T-Mobile's pricing becomes a whole lot less appealing when you factor in having to pay full price for every phone on your account

well at least you can pay for it partially a month with no interest this is where the industry is going.

definitely interested to hear your findings with this. one thing I can definitely say is that T-Mobile's pricing becomes a whole lot less appealing when you factor in having to pay full price for every phone on your account

true my brother moved to tmobile thinking he will save money. he has 4 lines and pays about 300 i have six lines i pay 320

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

well at least you can pay for it partially a month with no interest this is where the industry is going.

oh yeah, you can finance, but it's going to negate any savings you'd have in selecting T-Mobile over Sprint, at least for the 2 years or so you'll be paying off those phones.