Ace41690

Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

in the roughly 18 years I've owned a cell phone, the Galaxy S5 is hands down the least impressed I've been with any device I've used

OK that's better. Opinions are great they are like Android they come in all shapes sizes and flavors. Rather than being told something is definitive. Like let's say "the worst thing ever" without even giving reasons why said thing is the "worst thing ever". Least impressed? Sure. Alot of people aren't impressed with New York City. But it's still a great city.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

in the roughly 18 years I've owned a cell phone, the Galaxy S5 is hands down the least impressed I've been with any device I've used

You really should have gone with a LG G3, Nexus 5, or HTC One M8 to see how far Android has come. Samsung likes to throw so much bloatware on there, it's a little overwhelming. Still perfectly usable, but I prefer closer to pure Android, which LG and HTC have done a much better job at. I'm not into modding or ROMs either, and I would still prefer my N5 or G3 any day over an iPhone. 

Anyway, your experience is still limited by your device. Band 41 is in plenty of places (though as we all know, Sprint maps are not as accurate as we would like). I would really suggest that you consider becoming a Sponsor, and see for yourself the state of the network in NYC, because at the moment it seems as if you want things to be bad. We have had a lot of members from the NYC on this forum over the last few years, and things seemed to have really turned a corner until we started getting your reports. It's hard to believe that it is that bad everywhere for you, yet others in the same locations are seeing good results.

• Like 3

sorry but not buying that one even a little bit

I was on west 32 & broadway to be exact.

oh dear god no. biggest piece of junk ever. I'll wait until the iPhone 6 comes out. never going back to Android.

For me its the opposite i had an iphone 4s then I got a gs3, now I got a nexus 5 and I'm enjoying B41 70+mbps. iOS is a communism, android is democracy. My N5 offers me the freedom to change carriers by simply changing the sim and enjoy the best LTE Sprint, T-Mo and At&t have to offer, Something you can't do with the 5s or the GS5. I would never go back to iOS.

Never rooted my nexus and have zero maintenance problems. Its fair to say that android OS is not what what it use to be, specially when in stock form. IMHO is very comparable to iOS stability. No OS is perfect, both have their issues.

I hate when people automatically associate galaxy to android like is the same thing, or how galaxy is the go to phone when switching from iOS. What I don't understand is why would you try out the GS5 having a bad experience with galaxy phones in the past. Galaxy's main problem is touchwiz, you should have tried an N5 or M8. To each it's own I guess.

What I don't understand is why would you try out the GS5 having a bad experience with galaxy phones in the past.

I had no intention of buying the Galaxy S5, I simply needed the use of a tri-band device to test for myself the accessibility of bands 26 and 41 in the areas where I most use my device.  sadly, I only found band 41 in one small pocket of my normal use area and was connected only to band 25 the rest of the time.  I also consider myself largely at fault for even trying out a tri-band device now because I misunderstood what some people here had said about the deployment of the upgraded network.  until the upgrade is active, it doesn't seem as if the neighborhoods I'm normally in are going to be any better no matter what device I'm using.

iOS is a communism, android is democracy. 

Let's not go there...Everyone has their preferences on the OS. That has nothing to do with multi-carrier support. 

I had no intention of buying the Galaxy S5, I simply needed the use of a tri-band device to test for myself the accessibility of bands 26 and 41 in the areas where I most use my device. sadly, I only found band 41 in one small pocket of my normal use area and was connected only to band 25 the rest of the time. I also consider myself largely at fault for even trying out a tri-band device now because I misunderstood what some people here had said about the deployment of the upgraded network. until the upgrade is active, it doesn't seem as if the neighborhoods I'm normally in are going to be any better no matter what device I'm using.

I'm sorry tri-band did not work out for you, I guess you are hard to please. As we have seen in here upgrades to the network have been made with great success in many places of NYC and many upgrades are yet to come. If you are confined to using an iPhone on Sprint then Hopefully the iPhone 6 will get tri-band access and B26 B41 will be more prevalent in your areas very soon. Its noticeable that Sprint is building a better experience, Don't loose faith.

if you guys feel like discussing the ins, outs, why its better why it sucks in regard to phones and OSs please feel free to post in the appropriate device section. Lets try to keep this thread on topic.

TS

Why are some of you bickering about iOS vs android? This is not the thread for that.

for New Yorkers who aren't in the vice grip of Time Warner Cable

for those of us who live in areas where are our high speed options are Time Warner and Verizon DSL (lol) we can only dream about other ISPs.

How about Woodside  :angry: .

I have FiOS on my street, every private house has it, BUT, my rental building does not have Verizon in the door, so I'm stuck with TWC.

I'm sorry tri-band did not work out for you, I guess you are hard to please.

saying I was on something other than band 25 for a stretch of approximately 5 blocks and 2 avenues makes me hard to please?  come on, man.

saying I was on something other than band 25 for a stretch of approximately 5 blocks and 2 avenues makes me hard to please? come on, man.

Sorry if I offended you, I was under the impression that a tri-band android phone wasn't good enough for you. For a lot of us in here it has been a great experience. I know in some areas the network is still need work but is nice to have access to B41.

Clear site spacing is not perfect considering its propagation characteristics. But it is going to fulfill the grand majority of the population's needs in NYC. But of course, there will always be that small percentage that is not covered, and he just so happens to be in that minority. Looking at the Clear maps does indicate that its the ONLY area that lacks B41 towers near by. 

That's why we have such wildly different experiences, what I can tell you, Sprint is about to catch up and pass T mobile in overall speed on Netindex in Manhattan.

Also as a side note, the GS5 does not have the best radio performance in comparison to other tri-band devices.

• Like 1

Clear site spacing is not perfect considering its propagation characteristics. But it is going to fulfill the grand majority of the population's needs in NYC. But of course, there will always be that small percentage that is not covered, and he just so happens to be in that minority. Looking at the Clear maps does indicate that its the ONLY area that lacks B41 towers near by.

That's why we have such wildly different experiences, what I can tell you, Sprint is about to catch up and pass T mobile in overall speed on Netindex in Manhattan.

Also as a side note, the GS5 does not have the best radio performance in comparison to other tri-band devices.

Nice technical explanation of his problem. But unfortunately some people see the glass half empty.

Looking at the Clear maps does indicate that its the ONLY area that lacks B41 towers near by. 

let's be fair: the area is the entire Upper West Side of Manhattan. 

Has anyone caught a glimpse of 8t8r B41 antennas in our market? I have yet to see or hear anyone get a good shot of them in NYC.

For more details on what to look for, take a look here..

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5183-how-to-spot-sprint-8t8r-td-lte-rrhs-alcatel-lucent/

Has anyone caught a glimpse of 8t8r B41 antennas in our market? I have yet to see or hear anyone get a good shot of them in NYC.

For more details on what to look for, take a look here..

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5183-how-to-spot-sprint-8t8r-td-lte-rrhs-alcatel-lucent/

I haven't found any in Brooklyn yet. Part of the reason why is that most of our Clear sites got upgraded the first time around and a number of them are collocated with Sprint sites.

C8dwxPl.png?2

This test hit 80Mbps and settled around 78Mbps.

• Like 3

C8dwxPl.png?2

This test hit 80Mbps and settled around 78Mbps.

where is this at?

where is this at?

I really hope the iPhone 6 is a spark phone.

Plan on getting it regardless

Right now I'm very jealous of those speeds

I really hope the iPhone 6 is a spark phone.

Plan on getting it regardless

Right now I'm very jealous of those speeds

I dont think I will get it if it's not triband. But I'm pretty sure it will be. Apple did add band 26.
  • Like 1

I was at 72nd on the west side and I went into a brownstone where I used to have a really weak PCS 1x signal to no signal. Now, I get Band 26 when I go inside and when I go even further in, it completely skips EVDO and goes straight to 1x800 where I had about 3 bars, so at least I could make calls. My phone actually didn't overheat!

It's worth noting that my signal outdoors in that area is all bars. However, the brownstones destroy signal like nobody's business. Even Verizon's 700MHz can't penetrate this person's home. Speeds indoors on Band 26 were 11 down 3 up with a -111dbm signal and Band 25 outside was 9 down 4 up with an excellent signal.

• Like 2

I went to Hometown BBQ in Red Hook for dinner tonight and I held Band 41 all the way from my house in Crown Heights to Red Hook. I only lost LTE inside the restaurant. A quick airplane mode toggle put my phone in Band 25 but with a signal of about -120dbm. The problem with Red Hook is that only two towers service this area and neither of them is close to the water. Because of the superior propagation characteristics of EVDO and 1x, the 3G signal is still decently strong but the LTE signal is pretty weak.

Luckily, speeds on Band 25 are still pretty fast despite there being only two towers (anywhere from 10-25Mbps on average). This area could really benefit from Band 26 but it seems the workers simply haven't made it there yet.

P.S. Half of the time, I write these to keep the thread from stalling. Let me know if you want me to stop, lol.

• Like 7

I went to Hometown BBQ in Red Hook for dinner tonight and I held Band 41 all the way from my house in Crown Heights to Red Hook. I only lost LTE inside the restaurant. A quick airplane mode toggle put my phone in Band 25 but with a signal of about -120dbm. The problem with Red Hook is that only two towers service this area and neither of them is close to the water. Because of the superior propagation characteristics of EVDO and 1x, the 3G signal is still decently strong but the LTE signal is pretty weak.

Luckily, speeds on Band 25 are still pretty fast despite there being only two towers (anywhere from 10-25Mbps on average). This area could really benefit from Band 26 but it seems the workers simply haven't made it there yet.

P.S. Half of the time, I write these to keep the thread from stalling. Let me know if you want me to stop, lol.

nope continue on, it's good to see updates on sprint towers in Brooklyn. I had a Taste of band 41 Breafly when I tested a g2. Speeds at work (city hall) inside were 60mbs. I'm on iphone 5 so I have full b25 inside. Average is like 3mbs though. Edited by Palan
  • Like 1