Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

finally had my first experience with band 41 today.  was able to connect to it around 55th and 6th and stayed connected until 58th and 8th roughly.  here are the data speeds:

(1) 17.37 down, 6.82 up, ping 80

(2) 23.24 down, 11.30 up, ping 57

(3) 6.92 down, 6.03 up, ping 62

test (2) was on 55th between 7th and 8th.  by the time I got to 8th approaching 58th street, the signal was considerably weaker and test (3) was what I obtained at that point.  as I work in midtown, basically everywhere north of 55th and east of broadway is solely band 25.  really only found band 41 in that very narrow strip I described.  will try farther downtown tomorow.

Edited by Morningside78
  • Like 1

finally had my first experience with band 41 today. was able to connect to it around 55th and 6th and stayed connected until 58th and 8th roughly. here are the data speeds:

(1) 17.37 down, 6.82 up, ping 80

(2) 23.24 down, 11.30 up, ping 57

(3) 6.92 down, 6.03 up, ping 62

test (2) was on 55th between 7th and 8th. by the time I got to 8th approaching 58th street, the signal was considerably weaker and test (3) was what I obtained at that point. as I work in midtown, basically everywhere north of 55th and east of broadway is solely band 25. really only found band 41 in that very narrow strip I described. will try farther downtown tomorow.

Come to the Bronx and try out band 41 over here. I warn You will be hooked. I was in your shoes a year ago hating sprint and ready to jump ship. Now I'm hooked on tri-band using my nexus 5. I just got my wife the awesome LG G3 and she is hooked on WiFi calling. Can't wait for more B26 goodness to deploy.

I learned to forget the past and focus on the future of Sprint now that is in better hands (Softbank $$$).

Mobile Technology is changing too fast for all carriers. I realize its mostly about cell radio spectrum bandwidth and the resources behind it that makes a strong network survive this fast pace mobile business. I believe Sprint definitely has a winning chance at it.

• Like 2

Come to the Bronx and try out band 41 over here. I warn You will be hooked. I was in your shoes a year ago hating sprint and ready to jump ship. Now I'm hooked on tri-band using my nexus 5. I just got my wife the awesome LG G3 and she is hooked on WiFi calling. Can't wait for more B26 goodness to deploy.

Don't fret, Manhattan has massive amounts of B41, no need to chase it. In fact, looks like some more clear sites that were missing eCSFB came online last few days..

BTW, B26 is in a massive amount of places, they just lack optimization. So with time that will change..

• Like 1

Hi all,

New here, but not new to Sprint-been a customer for 12 years now. :) This site was recommended to me by someone on Facebook who saw my post about the horrible treatment I received from Sprintusers when I tried to join. (I got some ridiculous notice saying "Registration Denied! We check every new registration against a database of known spammers. We are unable to reach that database at this time." and when I reached out to the admins for help, was lied to THREE times and told they would manually set up an account for me!) Anyway, I am awaiting the delivery of my shiny new LG G3. I've had a Galaxy Nexus for awhile and can't wait to be rid of it! I'm on Staten Island-can anyone tell me what coverage is like here? Sprint's maps say everything is excellent but I'd love to hear some real life experiences. I am near Victory Blvd and Manor Rd, just a couple blocks from the main post office. Thanks in advance!

Don't fret, Manhattan has massive amounts of B41, no need to chase it. In fact, looks like some more clear sites that were missing eCSFB came online last few days..

BTW, B26 is in a massive amount of places, they just lack optimization. So with time that will change..

not yet seen any proof of that, at least not from Midtown up.  as I said yesterday, with my job near Columbus Circle and playing with the S5 for the last few days, I've found a fairly narrow strip with band 41 and everywhere else was 25.  overall, it seems quite a bit like the initial testing period of LTE on the UWS where the service was fast but coverage minimal.  based on my use, there's no access to band 41 on the West Side north of CPS. to this point, I've not seen band 26 anywhere.

also, I so wish there was a tri-band iPhone.  having not used a Samsung device for several years and going back to this S5 has me longing from my iPhone again.  the S5 is a disaster.

Edited by Morningside78

not yet seen any proof of that, at least not from Midtown up.  as I said yesterday, with my job near Columbus Circle and playing with the S5 for the last few days, I've found a fairly narrow strip with band 41 and everywhere else was 25.  overall, it seems quite a bit like the initial testing period of LTE on the UWS where the service was fast but coverage minimal.  based on my use, there's no access to band 41 on the West Side north of CPS. to this point, I've not seen band 26 anywhere.

also, I so wish there was a tri-band iPhone.  having not used a Samsung device for several years and going back to this S5 has me longing from my iPhone again.  the S5 is a disaster.

I travel all over the city to do IT work, mostly in the midtown area between Chinatown and 59 st. There is soo much B41, I tend to be on B41 about 80% of the time around those areas. 

One thing you must take into account is the simple fact that the Band 41 does not penetrate as well as B25 (for now, until the 8t8r antennas are powered up) So your mileage will vary indoors. But outdoors, im almost always on B41.

I travel all over the city to do IT work, mostly in the midtown area between Chinatown and 59 st. There is soo much B41, I tend to be on B41 about 80% of the time around those areas. 

One thing you must take into account is the simple fact that the Band 41 does not penetrate as well as B25 (for now, until the 8t8r antennas are powered up) So your mileage will vary indoors. But outdoors, im almost always on B41.

sorry, "the midtown area between Chinatown and 59st?"  that's about half of Manhattan.  :-)

all of my speed tests were outdoors btw.  to this point I've had no band 41 connectivity in a building. 

not yet seen any proof of that, at least not from Midtown up. as I said yesterday, with my job near Columbus Circle and playing with the S5 for the last few days, I've found a fairly narrow strip with band 41 and everywhere else was 25. overall, it seems quite a bit like the initial testing period of LTE on the UWS where the service was fast but coverage minimal. based on my use, there's no access to band 41 on the West Side north of CPS. to this point, I've not seen band 26 anywhere.

also, I so wish there was a tri-band iPhone. having not used a Samsung device for several years and going back to this S5 has me longing from my iPhone again. the S5 is a disaster.

What made you choose the S5?

What made you choose the S5?

having owned Galaxy devices previously and wanting a tri-band to play around with it.  I've only had it a few days and will be returning it before the end of the 14-day window.  but having been using iPhones for the last several years, I realized pretty quickly I made the right choice to leave Samsung behind.

Edited by Morningside78
  • Like 1

having owned Galaxy devices previously and wanting a tri-band to play around with it.  I've only had it a few days and will be returning it before the end of the 14-day window.  but having been using iPhones for the last several years, I realized pretty quickly I made the right choice to leave Samsung behind.

I should have included "and" after "area"...

Also, yes, the GS5 is probably the worst of all the next gen devices, coming from an iphone i would have gone with the M8. It is a considerately better device in everyway than the sub par GS5..

I should have included "and" after "area"...

Also, yes, the GS5 is probably the worst of all the next gen devices, coming from an iphone i would have gone with the M8. It is a considerately better device in everyway than the sub par GS5..

yeah but really only needed the ability to mess around with Sprint's data network in the city.  have zero intention of switching permanently from the iPhone but did need something tri-band. 

yeah but really only needed the ability to mess around with Sprint's data network in the city.  have zero intention of switching permanently from the iPhone but did need something tri-band. 

If you would've asked I could've told you that your area is a sea of Phase 2 sites which means that these sites have not been scheduled to be touched by Clears TDD-LTE deployment. Your area will and are being overlaid for Band 41 via Sprint sites utilizing the new 8T8R Alcatel-Lucent equipment which have not been activated there or anywhere else in the US. 

If you get LTE 1900 then you will get LTE 800 within the next 4 months. The ultimatum laid down by Son has been clear as day and John Saws new regime has been making up much lost ground in the past 4 months including actually meeting a deadline for once of covering 250 mil by mid year (254 mil pops covered). 

So yep. There you go. 

• Like 1

If you would've asked I could've told you that your area is a sea of Phase 2 sites which means that these sites have not been scheduled to be touched by Clears TDD-LTE deployment. Your area will and are being overlaid for Band 41 via Sprint sites utilizing the new 8T8R Alcatel-Lucent equipment which have not been activated there or anywhere else in the US. 

If you get LTE 1900 then you will get LTE 800 within the next 4 months. The ultimatum laid down by Son has been clear as day and John Saws new regime has been making up much lost ground in the past 4 months including actually meeting a deadline for once of covering 250 mil by mid year (254 mil pops covered). 

So yep. There you go. 

I did ask, though.  Also posted my frequent use location a couple of pages back when asked.

So yep. There you go. 

Tim, Clear B41 is in most areas of NYC, and it is difficult to miss it. Even without the use of 8t8r its pretty impressive. But of course there are area's that do not have any B41, but they are few and far between. 

But of course there are area's that do not have any B41, but they are few and far between. 

in my three days with the S5, I've found no band 41 from CPS up north to at least 116th street, basically most of the west side of Manhattan. 

Edited by Morningside78

I did ask, though.  Also posted my frequent use location a couple of pages back when asked.

Apologies. I interpreted your message as no need and you'll figure it out on your own. 

thanks for the offer.  most of the time I'm between 86th and 105th, from West End Ave. to Columbus. 

what I can report is a bit interesting is that if I literally sit right up against an east facing window in my apartment pointed toward Central Park from a very high floor, I can get the RSRP down -88 to -90, still on band 25.  with that, however, speed tests run in Ookla render basically the same results as when I'm on my couch with a -106.

Yes which is what I stated. That area is mostly not scheduled to be converted by Clear. That area is slated to be overlaid by Sprint using 8T8R equipment which have not been activated. Go anywhere other than Manhattan and you'll see pretty much B41 everywhere. 

Tim, Clear B41 is in most areas of NYC, and it is difficult to miss it. Even without the use of 8t8r its pretty impressive. But of course there are area's that do not have any B41, but they are few and far between. 

Most areas is the key word. Look at the map and you'll see what I mean about Manhattan not being scheduled. 

• Like 2

in my three days with the S5, I've found no band 41 from CPS up north to at least 116th street, basically most of the west side of Manhattan. 

Its the one patch that doesn't have much Clear B41. I cannot give you specifics because its sitting in the premiere section of the site. But Sprint B41 should be part of that patch...

sorry, I don't follow.

Clear b41 are the wimax tower conversions. Sprint b41 is the 8t8r equipment the overlay to eventually all Sprint sites.

sorry, I don't follow.

The current Band 41 sites are previous Clearwire Wimax sites that were converted to LTE Band 41. But sprint is currently overlaying all of there own sites with new Band 41, as Tim mentioned,  that equipment is still offline until they do a mass activation. 

That should fill in the areas we are currently missing B41...

will be in New Jersey this evening and traveling from Paramus up through Ramsey.  is that an area where band 41 is available?

Clear unfortunately never deployed that area out well. There's one or two sites active in both areas but it'll be predominately Sprint B25 or B26 once you get past Paramus. B25 should work ok though since it's a less populated area.... YMMV.

Basically there's two implementations.

The original deployment of Band 41 TDD-LTE was via Clearwires own cell sites that are separate from Sprints. These sites utilized Samsung dual mode equipment and were deployed over the past 1.5 years. These are the sites that people are connecting to for Band 41.

The new deployment over Sprints sites utilize the newest and latest technology with 8T8R antennas (8 antennas transmit 8 receive) and are a huge improvement over the equipment that Clear is using. 

Clear does not cover everything and in some areas they have very sparse coverage due to their original plans of being a hotspot type setup where they select a certain area and deploy more capacity to instead of deploying to every single site like Sprint is doing now. 

The new equipment have not yet been turned on so people can use it. This is called the Phase 2 deployment and they're slated to be activated for public use sometime this quarter.  Exactly when is unknown. 

The current Band 41 sites are previous Clearwire Wimax sites that were converted to LTE Band 41. But sprint is currently overlaying all of there own sites with new Band 41, as Tim mentioned,  that equipment is still offline until they do a mass activation. 

That should fill in the areas we are currently missing B41...

ah ok so basically you're confirming that this whole part of Manhattan won't have any band 41 until Sprint does that activation in a year or whatever

ah ok so basically you're confirming that this whole part of Manhattan won't have any band 41 until Sprint does that activation in a year or whatever

No, we are looking at the next few months, no more waiting on backhaul.... :tu: