Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

Guys, I've been with sprint for a little over a month, is 3G speeds of 0.04mbps the norm? I am talking about downtown Manhattan. sometimes i can get 0.25 but never in the "normal" speeds of 0.75 and above. I came from Verizon because they had even poor service where I work but I though Sprint would be better since at least I have 4 bars instead of 1 compared to Verizon.

Guys, I've been with sprint for a little over a month, is 3G speeds of 0.04mbps the norm? I am talking about downtown Manhattan. sometimes i can get 0.25 but never in the "normal" speeds of 0.75 and above. I came from Verizon because they had even poor service where I work but I though Sprint would be better since at least I have 4 bars instead of 1 compared to Verizon.

Sprint's current 3G network is overburdened, so yes speeds that slow do occur. However, they are replacing their entire 3G network, and New York is in the process right now of being turned over. In the coming weeks, you should starting seeing much faster 3G speeds, and 4G LTE in many more places throughout the city.

Sprint's current 3G network is overburdened, so yes speeds that slow do occur. However, they are replacing their entire 3G network, and New York is in the process right now of being turned over. In the coming weeks, you should starting seeing much faster 3G speeds, and 4G LTE in many more places throughout the city.

On top of that, when you say you have 4 bars, I know the iPhone shows signal strength of LTE when connected to LTE, but when connected to EVDO it may very well be showing 1x signal strength so it may be that you do not have as good of a connection for data as you think. You can check the field test screens to see EVDO signal strength with certainty.

On top of that, when you say you have 4 bars, I know the iPhone shows signal strength of LTE when connected to LTE, but when connected to EVDO it may very well be showing 1x signal strength so it may be that you do not have as good of a connection for data as you think. You can check the field test screens to see EVDO signal strength with certainty.

Thanks for the suggestion. The field test for 1xEV-DO does -67 as the signal strength. I called Sprint and they did say that 9 of the towers around me are down and engineers are working on them. ETA due 12/7/2012. Last week the ETA was 11/29. I still can't understand why it takes so long to fix the towers but I hope they aren't just fixing the old towers and instead adding upgraded towers with NV. All this problem due to Sandy. I did test out the LTE in midtown 2 weeks ago and man, it was good. 21 mbps dl speeds. I can't wait for it to come down to downtown.

The only disappointment is that when calling Sprint, they don't give me the answers with what they are trying to fix and how long it takes to fix one tower at a time. it's been 2 weeks with terrible 3G and voice issues so it's getting frustrating. But again, I am excited for LTE.

Thanks for the suggestion. The field test for 1xEV-DO does -67 as the signal strength. I called Sprint and they did say that 9 of the towers around me are down and engineers are working on them. ETA due 12/7/2012. Last week the ETA was 11/29. I still can't understand why it takes so long to fix the towers but I hope they aren't just fixing the old towers and instead adding upgraded towers with NV. All this problem due to Sandy. I did test out the LTE in midtown 2 weeks ago and man, it was good. 21 mbps dl speeds. I can't wait for it to come down to downtown.

The only disappointment is that when calling Sprint, they don't give me the answers with what they are trying to fix and how long it takes to fix one tower at a time. it's been 2 weeks with terrible 3G and voice issues so it's getting frustrating. But again, I am excited for LTE.

Well based on that signal strength, you're correct that you have a very good connection. You'll also definitely have a strong LTE signal once deployed.

the iPhone shows a different icon when it is connected to 1X. so yes, the signal meter doesn't apply to 3G signal strength, but if you're dropped to 1X, you will know it. granted you can be in areas where you're connected to abysmal 3G and the speeds will be as bad as (or worse than) 1X but that's another story.

when do you guys will be the most likely date of LTE deployment for NYC?

Do you mean the "launch?" Because deployment has been going on for months. LTE is already discoverable in several parts of the city. The official launch, which isn't really anything but a press release, probably won't happen until January.

when do you guys will be the most likely date of LTE deployment for NYC?

in terms of Manhattan, LTE is available now in a few very small pockets of the city. there's a bit of LTE coverage up here (Morningside Heights) but it's extremely flaky and will cut out if you stray a block east or west of Broadway. I've experienced similar up around 5&6th in the 40s. When it does work, it's very fast but it's nowhere near reliable right now and the footprint is practically nonexistent. Remains to be seen how much longer it'll be before the coverage is wide enough to matter. Sprint's used that party line of "in the next few weeks" about Network Vision for the last several months so I don't really believe anything they say. Whenever it happens it happens and that's about it. Their timetables are meaningless.

Edited by Morningside78

I was in Co Op City today, and didn't get LTE signal. I was there last week also no LTE....

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Well, it's in my area, Co-op is very big. I don't know where u were in co-op

Edited by Aprilgrl920

I know where that is, but I think that the signal should travel over a mile at least.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I was at Benchley place yesterday. 3g signal was very weak. As u already know there are a lot of tall buildings in co-op city.

There is a blip of LTE showing up on 96st on 2nd ave on the east side of Manhattan..hopefully means there is LTE near that area..

Maybe they are working a bit faster now and getting LTE to other places cause the bronx looks like its about 90% done.

• Like 1

Maybe they are working a bit faster now and getting LTE to other places cause the bronx looks like its about 90% done.

There's coverage, yes, but there are still a very large number of towers to be upgraded, even in the Bronx. Why they're all concentrated there right now, no idea.

• Like 1

There's coverage, yes, but there are still a very large number of towers to be upgraded, even in the Bronx. Why they're all concentrated there right now, no idea.

I was curious about that, considering that they go to whichever tower's ready to be upgraded, no matter the location (I think?), it's interesting to see that the vast majority of those towers are in The Bronx. The NV rollout in other markets seem to be a bit more random.

If this pattern continues I wonder which borough (or Westchester) is next once The Bronx is completed.

Edited by Sonic13