Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

Really? I thought it was preferred over the 1900? (I have s3). Sometimes when I go into a building and am losing signal it flashes to full bars but then switches to roaming, I was wondering if it was connecting but then dropping the 800 for some reason...

Install Signal check so you can verify, as far as I know the stock android PRL has 1900 and 800 at the same priority level. 

I got so excited when I got the text from Sprint xD, I did a speed test but still slow as always. But still excited. Thanks Sprint!

Unfortunately,  this is just a generic text going out to everyone. It really has no bearing on specific markets.

• Like 1

I got so excited when I got the text from Sprint xD, I did a speed test but still slow as always. But still excited. Thanks Sprint!

That text went out to almost every Sprint subscriber. Even ones who no longer live in a Sprint coverage area. The consensus is it is just marketing, and doesn't mean much. Don't get expectations up too much.

While it's the network is pretty far along in your area, the fact that the text went out to pretty much everyone means it has little to do with the actual state of your network, and has more to do with keeping subscribers.

Robert got the text too.... in South Dakota ... where he's had his billing address listed for some time. Where there is no Sprint network.

• Like 1

Wow. Talk about excitement destroyed.  :(  Oh well better to hear the truth..

--

Chris

Sorry. A bit of trolling on the part of Sprint. But the good news is that your network is pretty far along. Still a lot of work to do, but it's in better shape than many across the country. You'll just need a new phone to use it.. ;)

• Like 1

Sorry. A bit of trolling on the part of Sprint. But the good news is that your network is pretty far along. Still a lot of work to do, but it's in better shape than many across the country. You'll just need a new phone to use it.. ;)

It's cool and I do need a new phone but I am not sure what I want yet. I am still happy with the progress that Sprint has done, just not in my area, but I am always on Wi-Fi anyways. Thanks Dkoellerwx :D

--

Chris

It's cool and I do need a new phone but I am not sure what I want yet. I am still happy with the progress that Sprint has done, just not in my area, but I am always on Wi-Fi anyways. Thanks Dkoellerwx :D

--

Chris

Whatever you pick, make sure it's a Tri-Band (Spark) Device! That way you can take full advantage of the new Sprint network.

--

Chris

Where in New York City are you that you haven't experienced upgrades yet?

Where in New York City are you that you haven't experienced upgrades yet?

In my small area no upgrades for me atleast but outside like manhattan and some parts of the Bronx I have experienced better speeds. But since I have a 4S I can't see LTE so sucks for me.

--

Chris

• Like 1

In my small area no upgrades for me atleast but outside like manhattan and some parts of the Bronx I have experienced better speeds. But since I have a 4S I can't see LTE so sucks for me.

--

Chris

If your dead set on sticking with an apple device, the new iphone 5S and C do have access to band 26 and that will help coverage considerably. 

Note* It just so happens that only the iphones have reported to connect to the new band as far as I know.

• Like 1

If your dead set on sticking with an apple device, the new iphone 5S and C do have access to band 26 and that will help coverage considerably. 

Note* It just so happens that only the iphones have reported to connect to the new band as far as I know.

Band 26 have no idea what that is D: I haven't been on the site for a while now. I need to catch up. Would Band 26 be referring to 800?

--

Chris

Band 26 have no idea what that is D: I haven't been on the site for a while now. I need to catch up. Would Band 26 be referring to 800?

--

Chris

Yes, Band 26 is LTE 800.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I was in Sunnyside and averaging 30+ on Spark, same goes for Midtown.

The fact that people base their carriers on the maximum speed (which has a long list of environmental reasons as to how that speed was achieved), instead of doing a complete needs analysis is sad.

How solid is Spark coverage in Midtown(and network conditions there in general)? I saw in the premiere maps thread that the WiMax-only to TD-LTE site ratio was roughly 6:1, with a lot of them not looking like they're being upgraded anytime soon.

I was glad to find out that a permit was granted to upgrade a site near my home. It would be the other site that serves my home. Sadly I sit equidistant from two sites. One serve the back of my house and the other serves the front. In the front of my house I get a -90dbm signal on LTE. In the back I don't get an LTE signal at all unless I go outside.

According to the permit info, it expires in May. So I have a timeline for 3G upgrades. They don't apply for a second permit for connecting backhaul for LTE, so I don't know when I that site will have LTE.

For those wondering, you can check NYC BIS (Building Information Systems) to see permits and such.

• Like 2

Whenever backhaul is ready. Sprint still has alot of work to do.

So I just checked the NV Sites Complete and as January 28 almost all of them are 3G/4G except the one in front of my house which is still 3G :cry: Well I am a bit excited means my tower should get an upgrade soon right right?

--

Chris

• Like 1

That text went out to almost every Sprint subscriber. Even ones who no longer live in a Sprint coverage area. The consensus is it is just marketing, and doesn't mean much. Don't get expectations up too much.

Not true. I have yet to receive any text messages from Sprint about the rollout of the network.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not true. I have yet to receive any text messages from Sprint about the rollout of the network.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's been making its way around. Even to people in third and fourth round markets which we know have a while to go.

Let me ask this dumb question in case others like me are unsure of etc but dont wanna ask lol. Whats the difference between bands and how does it help etc...? thanks

Sprint was deploying LTE only in the PCS Band (Band 25/1900MHz). Due to LTE having a more fragile air link, it is causing LTE in this band to have less coverage than 3G.

They are now adding the SMR Band (Band 26/800MHz). Band 26 LTE offers a significant coverage increase over Band 25, and penetrates buildings much better. Speeds on Band 26 will be faster for awhile than Band 25 as there are less users on it.

Additionally, Sprint is deploying in the EBS/BRS band (Band 41/2600MHz). Sprint has a lot of spectrum in Band 41, which allows wider channels for much faster speeds. Sprint is converting their existing WiMax network to Band 41 now and starting to add it to their existing Band 25/26 sites in a few months.

All Sprint LTE devices support Band 25. Only Sprint Triband phones and the iPhone 5C/5S support Band 26. And only Sprint Triband phones support Band 41.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

Sprint was deploying LTE only in the PCS Band (Band 25/1900MHz). Due to LTE having a more fragile air link, it is causing LTE in this band to have less coverage than 3G.

They are now adding the SMR Band (Band 26/800MHz). Band 26 LTE offers a significant coverage increase over Band 25, and penetrates buildings much better. Speeds on Band 26 will be faster for awhile than Band 25 as there are less users on it.

Additionally, Sprint is deploying in the EBS/BRS band (Band 41/2600MHz). Sprint has a lot of spectrum in Band 41, which allows wider channels for much faster speeds. Sprint is converting their existing WiMax network to Band 41 now and starting to add it to their existing Band 25/26 sites in a few months.

All Sprint LTE devices support Band 25. Only Sprint Triband phones and the iPhone 5C/5S support Band 26. And only Sprint Triband phones support Band 41.

For the many many people on b25, will the offset of customers (specifically iPhone 5s customers) that are able to use band 26 decrease the overcrowding issues in areas like Chicago, where they are already reporting that speeds are dropping considerably? I am assuming so, but I was just interested as to if it would be enough offload to make a significant difference. I guess that depends on how many users have phones capable of B26 then yeh?

For the many many people on b25, will the offset of customers (specifically iPhone 5s customers) that are able to use band 26 decrease the overcrowding issues in areas like Chicago, where they are already reporting that speeds are dropping considerably? I am assuming so, but I was just interested as to if it would be enough offload to make a significant difference. I guess that depends on how many users have phones capable of B26 then yeh?

Band 25 could feel a little relief with the addition of Band 26. But the adoption of Band 26 devices is probably similar to the add of Band 25 only devices still occurring. So the difference will be negligible for Band 25 users when 26 go live.

Band 25 will likely only see any noticeable performance improvements when another site nearby goes live or the addition of a second Band 25 LTE carrier. It's all about the Triband, baby. Or at least dual band, in the minimum.

• Like 2