Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

Finally got my phone situation settled. Below are a couple of speed tests from the 45th and 6th ave corner. There is one anomaly in there and also one from my house. The fast speeds are obviously LTE :)

Very impressed. I'll check out that Bay Plaza spot this weekend and see if i can get more mapped on sensorly.

post-7454-0-44137700-1353103052_thumb.png

• Like 4

Picked up lte on Fordham road and did my sensorly thing...held a perfect signal from kings bridge road all the way to 167st Jerome ave! Seems like the gap between 178st Jerome and kings bridge is now covered! For anybody that commutes on the 4 line overground this is awesome!

• Like 1

I wouldn't go as far as saying the gap has closed between Kingsbridge and 167th just yet, but there's been quite the improvement in coverage in the last week or so. With that said, in 170th and below the coverage is pretty much limited to Jerome avenue. While the phone will detect a lte signal below 170th street the poor signal strength makes the data unusable.

With that said, I checked out coverage at Fordham road, and at Jerome ave the data was rock solid. I got over 20 Mbps easily.

I wouldn't go as far as saying the gap has closed between Kingsbridge and 167th just yet,

Notice I said between Jerome ave 178st to Kingsbridge road...I was able to hold a signal until yankees stadium stop..on the 4 train (downloaded a 300mb podcast from jerome 183rd street to 161st) Take a look @ sensorly you will see there was still abit of signal over jerome and 161st (but very faint! 3-4mb second) But enought to finish the download. Also you mentioned Webster? is there LTE on fordham and webster?

Yeah, I was able to get a signal slightly off Webster and Fordham. The problem is that the signal was very weak, much like the signal I get below 170th street, making it basically useless. I'm sure that the Yankee stadium area will get their own dedicated LTE tower soon to truly bridge the gap in coverage.

Not sure if this is true or not but a engineer from Ericsson told me that sprints lte should be live in nyc by mid december.. I dont see how but ill keep my hopes up.

Ummm... Ericsson isn't doing the roll out in NYC. Alcatel-Lucent is.

• Like 1

Ummm... Ericsson isn't doing the roll out in NYC. Alcatel-Lucent is.

Ericsson is doing the inspections for Sprint in a lot of AlcaLu and Samsung markets.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

• Like 4

I don't see the advantage in officially announcing a city not quite ready for primetime...do they enable a bunch of sites the day of the official launch? That can easily work against them if there isn't a good amount of coverage in place.

I don't see the advantage in officially announcing a city not quite ready for primetime...do they enable a bunch of sites the day of the official launch? That can easily work against them if there isn't a good amount of coverage in place.

I could see it happening, as I am sure many of the 3G sites are 4G ready as well, just not accepted by Sprint............. yet. On another note, Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to me like you don't want Sprint to announce a launch of NYC this year. But I see where you are coming from. It is all in the benefit of Sprint. People will rant about not having LTE in New York, but you'd rather have dense LTE than, a couple of neighborhoods here and there having it and in the end people will be glad they waited.

• Like 1

Not sure if this is true or not but a engineer from Ericsson told me that sprints lte should be live in nyc by mid december.. I dont see how but ill keep my hopes up.

That seems a little off unless they ramp up production, especially since Alcatel Lucent is handling NYC deployment, but still good news nonetheless.

We've seen the footprint increase in the Bronx, but Manhattan has been somewhat stagnant and the other boroughs have zero lte at this point.

Just a quick update for the Westchester folks.

I am getting LTE on my Galaxy Nexus in North White Plains by the train station and I'm lucky enough that my home is within range. Speeds on LTE have been between 5 to 9MBps download and 2 to 5MPps upload. If these speeds stay consistent I will be very happy coming from terrible 3g of 0.07MBps - 0.3 MBps on a good day.

• Like 2

Just a quick update for the Westchester folks.

I am getting LTE on my Galaxy Nexus in North White Plains by the train station and I'm lucky enough that my home is within range. Speeds on LTE have been between 5 to 9MBps download and 2 to 5MPps upload. If these speeds stay consistent I will be very happy coming from terrible 3g of 0.07MBps - 0.3 MBps on a good day.

Your Profile info doesn't specify what type of device you own, but if its an android device fire up sensorly when you are in that area..