Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

Here's something to do while we kill time. Look to see if you guys can spot Ericsson's AIR panels deployed by T-Mobile through NYC. Milan03 has more info on these... I'm hoping Sprint would deploy the AIR 32's someday, though I'm pretty sure it would take a custom model to do so. A single AIR panel that supports CDMA, LTE, and TD-LTE on 800, 1900, and 2600. That would be epic.

I'm pretty sure my nearest city (Saint Louis) doesn't have any Ericsson setups except through Sprint.

I wonder why Ericsson is with tmobile in the east coast but sprint in the west/Midwest.???

I wonder why Ericsson is with tmobile in the east coast but sprint in the west/Midwest.???

Ericsson is a vendor that wants to make money. If t-mobile wants them to work on the east coast then they'll work on the east coast. If sprint wants them to work on the west and midwest then they will work there. All that matters to them is that they're making money and they could care less about who they're selling their items to.

Furthermore, I don't see Sprint using any Ericsson AIR panels any time soon as they've practically standardized on their current setups and the RRU's are already prepared for SMR 800 service which means they don't need to do much work to get SMR 800 up and running.

Having a standardized network with a unified system of equipment is much better than changing everything for just minuscule single digit percentage improvements in certain aspects. It's both better in keeping upkeep costs down due to uniformity of equipment and adjustment of the network. Standardization saves money. Either way, it looks like Samsung is the one who will be providing the TDD-LTE panels if what they submitted to the FCC is any indication.

• Like 1

The main reason is Ericsson's US operations are out of Texas with a significant chunk of that in KC. Now T-Mobile might have different reasons for deploying Ericsson in the NE... I don't know what those are. Yet. :)

Having a standardized network with a unified system of equipment is much better than changing everything for just minuscule single digit percentage improvements in certain aspects. It's both better in keeping upkeep costs down due to uniformity of equipment and adjustment of the network. Standardization saves money. Either way, it looks like Samsung is the one who will be providing the TDD-LTE panels if what they submitted to the FCC is any indication.

That would kind of have to defeat the point given that you'd then have multiple vendors in certain areas. If Sprint could get custom AIR panels like that, you'd deploy them mainly in Ericsson areas. Now for Samsung zones, it absolutely makes more sense to use Samsung RRU's. That I agree with.

You wouldn't need to get the old RRU's ripped out for incremental gain in the areas where no TD-LTE is implemented.

I'm sure AlLu has a solution for this too, but trying to get information on them has been like pulling out teeth.

That would kind of have to defeat the point given that you'd then have multiple vendors in certain areas. If Sprint could get custom AIR panels like that, you'd deploy them mainly in Ericsson areas. Now for Samsung zones, it absolutely makes more sense to use Samsung RRU's. That I agree with.

You wouldn't need to get the old panels ripped out for incremental gain in the areas where no TD-LTE is implemented. I think that would be dumb, but I'm hoping that TD-LTE gets deployed over way more than 1,000 sites.

I'm sure AlLu has a solution for this too, but trying to get information on them has been like pulling out teeth.

I think you misunderstood what I'm trying to say. What I'm saying is that it's far more prudent to just stick with the equipment that's currently deployed as each vendor already has a standardized setup and most likely have replacement items and other misc. equipment stocked up in the case that something breaks. Adding another new panel just because it's a slight improvement in some aspect is just complicating things and needlessly expand how much more additional parts they must acquire in case the newer and different panels breaks. Much better to stick through with the current setups and not have a hodgepodge of different models strewn about.

On the part about the TDD-LTE, I too would love to see an expansion of that service and filling in of the coverage holes but that's a whole other topic.

I think you misunderstood what I'm trying to say. What I'm saying is that it's far more prudent to just stick with the equipment that's currently deployed as each vendor already has a standardized setup and most likely have replacement items and other misc. equipment stocked up in the case that something breaks. Adding another new panel just because it's a slight improvement in some aspect is just complicating things and needlessly expand how much more additional parts they must acquire in case the newer and different panels breaks. Much better to stick through with the current setups and not have a hodgepodge of different models strewn about.

On the part about the TDD-LTE, I too would love to see an expansion of that service and filling in of the coverage holes but that's a whole other topic.

I agree, but I'm not certain that the old Ericsson RRU's will be able to work with TD-LTE. If they are able to get a Permissive Change for that, then I'd lean toward sticking toward the old. If not, then I'd look toward the AIR's. I'm not wanting Ericsson panels stuck in Samsung areas. That would be dumb.

AlcatelLucent is a big provider of TD-LTE for China Mobile, so I'm sure they have some sort of RRU improvement or replacement that can be done.

I agree, but I'm not certain that the old Ericsson RRU's will be able to work with TD-LTE. If they are able to get a Permissive Change for that, then I'd lean toward sticking toward the old. If not, then I'd look toward the AIR's. I'm not wanting Ericsson panels stuck in Samsung areas. That would be dumb.

AlcatelLucent is a big provider of TD-LTE for China Mobile, so I'm sure they have some sort of RRU improvement or replacement that can be done.

Oh I'm clearly expecting Ericsson and Alu to have their own TDD-LTE setups as well just like how Samsung has their own TDD-LTE setup but as I said... another topic :D...

Back to the scheduled NYC NV discussion xD

Oh I'm clearly expecting Ericsson and Alu to have their own TDD-LTE setups as well just like how Samsung has their own TDD-LTE setup but as I said... another topic :D...

Back to the scheduled NYC NV discussion xD

This is like sitting in on a 300 level RF engineering course on here. :)

I think another reason it went off topic was to bring the thread back to life. Their was nothing active until that conversation, so in a sense we got back going on topic.

I read this and cannot help but think of this..."It's OK thast I robbed the bank. It gave the cops something to do."

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

• Like 4

I just did some nice sensorly input on columbus circle and north...lol great speed 20mbs down on 66th and broadway

Much appreciated and that sounds awesome. My 3G experiences downtown were always pretty good already so this is just an extra punch.

Sprint said they plan on announcing 120 cities this summer alone, so I wouldn't be surprised if more sites tart popping up throughout the city. There will probably be a summer launch of LTE in NYC and so many other markets are going to pop up soon. I see LTE is finally going into Lower Manhattan. This is great because the tower near my school is 3G upgraded but it is about a 15 minute walk south to Canal or a 10 minute walk East to SoHo before I get any LTE signal.

Sprint said they plan on announcing 120 cities this summer alone, so I wouldn't be surprised if more sites tart popping up throughout the city. There will probably be a summer launch of LTE in NYC and so many other markets are going to pop up soon. I see LTE is finally going into Lower Manhattan. This is great because the tower near my school is 3G upgraded but it is about a 15 minute walk south to Canal or a 10 minute walk East to SoHo before I get any LTE signal.

Yeah NYC will be one of those cities! 2 more months of upgrades should complete all Brooklyn, Bronx, queens and most of Staten Island and far rock and manhattan before official release.

do you go to stuyvesant? I myself is an alumnus of class 2003. sorry unrelated to network deployment. will use PM next time.

Edited by pslee

Question , don't misunderstand me im not trying to be disrespectful . Whats wrong with going off topic every once in a while , just talking about LTE all the time is boring , going off topic sometimes can be a good thing .

I understand you have rules & what not but Sprint LTE is deployed but so fast , so we don't always have something to report , so why not talk about something else that is relevant like , Competitors , Phones & Software (without arguement of course).

There are other threads for it, so it makes it easier for moderators to keep things clean.

After spending a week in Sunnyside, and waiting for the 7 train every morning on 40th, I can respect having LTE available on the station. I was able to pull up ESPN, CNN, etc. and follow all the chaos from the week, without a delay in page load.

• Like 3

So Mrs. Deval is out of the country for work, and I was able to do a Skype video/voice call today with her over 3G, and it worked great. She was on a Vodaphone UK (I believe) 3G aircard, and I was using my iPhone 5 on an NV 3G site, and we were able to have a voice and video call for almost 20 minutes with no problem.

Honestly with 3G speeds hovering around 1.5mbps all the time, I'm good. That's more than enough for daily usage.

• Like 1